[Stable Update] 2020-09-08 - Kernels, Mesa, Browsers, KDE Apps 20.08.1, Systemd, LibreOffice 7.0.1, Deepin

Hiii!!! Everything OK!!
Thanks Manjaro Team

I’ve had the same nvidia driver issues as other folks. I was able to successfully upgrade after uninstalling CUDA, but can’t seem to upgrade to video-nvidia-450xx:

rror: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing linux57-nvidia-440xx breaks dependency 'linux57-nvidia-440xx' required by linux-latest-nvidia-440xx
:: removing nvidia-440xx-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by nvtop

So I need to upgrade those drivers in order to use CUDA, but I’m not sure how. Should I open a separate thread for this?

Edit: Thanks in advance for your help, and actual thanks for all the work you do on this great platform.

I got the new driver installed after manually removing the the ultils packages from the old driver the linux-nvidia-440xx itself but now when I post my machine is stuck at the at the mobo logo screen that pops up after the manjaro boot menu. Should I use TTY to revert to the pervious 440xx driver and if so can someone please remind me how to do that? Also in my case I didn’t remove cuda it was able to update cuda without needing to manually remove it.

That does it! Thanks.

No problem here on xfce.

I am officially an old-timer, using nvidia geforce 250 (video-nvidia-340xx), which I believe is not supported by kernel 5.8, so I have to go back to LTS (5.4 or 4.19) since 5.17 is EOL :slight_smile:

It’s nice to see that they will be supported for 6 years, instead of 2.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Failed to start light display manager after update

Finally figured out how to revert to the previous nvidia driver. I’m going to stick with it until the next version of 450xx.

I cannot do the upgrade because pacman insists on replacing nvidia-418xx-utils with nvidia-450xx-utils, which I hesitate to do so due to 450xx drivers not supporting my GPU.

Any tips on what should I do?

Have problem with Chromium: It is randomly showing atrifacts on top left corner of screen while moving mouse. I downgraded to previous package and now the artifacts are gone.

1 Like
  • Gnome Software Center was broken the last two releases (now working and showing software updates and installed software).
  • gdm-prime AUR package still broken for Nvidia Optimus cards (e.g. nv5200 which use the Nvidia 390 driver).
  • Completed the update on my thinkpad x230 and and t430s successfully.

System: Host: hanna Kernel: 4.19.143-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0
Desktop: GNOME 3.36.5 tk: GTK 3.24.23 wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM 3.36.3
Distro: Manjaro Linux

You should hold back that package this way:

:wink:

My feedback for @philm
XFCE, Kernel 4.14.196-1, i915 graphic:

xorg-server: local (1.20.9-1)
xorg-server-common: local (1.20.9-1) 

For the first time, I see a great improvement in gaming (great FPS and no longer high CPU usage)

3 posts were split to a new topic: What is linux-firmware and what does it do?

@oberon
On the old forum I once edited the wiki post,
but here I cannot see an edit button on it.
Can that be fixed?

It’s really important that stuff gets added to the wiki post,
as it can take too long to read the whole thread/topic.

Okay, so not sure if it was Manjaro devs fixed it upstream or not, but I tried installing by the command line option. It first prompted to update itself and the keyring, so I let it update it and then canceled the actual install. Then I tried rerunning the command, and do the actual Manjaro update, it did not try to install cuda or the nvidia drivers this time. So yay!

Edit: nevermind, the luxcorerender AUR had a cuda dependency, removed and it updated fine.

1 Like

Having the same issue with Chromium. Disabling Use hardware acceleration when available fixed the issue for now.

The “Switch User”-Option is still not available on Kickoff and sddm (Plasma).

I’ve found a good writeup somewhere else and added it to the wiki myself. Please verify and feel free to correct anything if needed…

cc @vostmarhk You’re still a basic user on the new forum. You’ll get upgraded soon enough though! :wink:

Great, it’s a lot better than I could have done it. :slight_smile:

(i also don’t have enough cred in this forum yet
– can’t see a button to edit the wiki post.)

1 Like

It might not be what your looking for, but there is a widget “User Switcher” that U can add to the panel and then use “New Session” from there.
It will, however, just open another user in another session, so U have 2 users running at the same time.