[Stable Update] 2020-08-16 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox

I love the fact about the stable updates that it’s being tested first and then released. I rather wait a few weeks or even a month, and don’t worry about trying to fix a broken system! Updated 6 machines (KDE) without any issues. Thank you Manjaro team!

2 Likes

See: [Bug Report] Pacman shows updated AUR Packages as orphaned

1 Like

wine-staging 5.14 doesn’t seem to work at all. Nothing seems to work (via Wine) that used to work before.

Can’t even create a new fresh wineboot “bottle” ffs.

$ WINEPREFIX=~/w514.hearthstone WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot
002c:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 5.14 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
WARNING: Experimental compiler backend enabled. Here be dragons! Incorrect rendering, GPU hangs and/or resets are likely
0040:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
0040:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
0040:err:ole:get_local_server_stream Failed: 80004002

0024:err:environ:run_wineboot boot event wait timed out
^C002c:err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW
wine: Call from 7B00F4A2 to unimplemented function shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW called at address 7B00F4A2 (thread 002c), starting debugger...
002c:err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger L"winedbg --auto 40 144" (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
0044:fixme:console:default_ctrl_handler Terminating process 20 on event 0
[deemon@Zen ~]$ ^C

downgraded back to wine-staging 5.8 where everything worked semi well and seems to work semi well still now.

discord 0.0.11-1 seems to be also more crashy than before. Sadly there is no way to downgrade this because it automatically upgrades itself on launch.

1 Like

I like to use conky-manager. So I stay on 5.6.19-2

Solution was installing 450 driver with dkms

yay -S nvidia-dkms
1 Like

Update went well. No issues! :clap:

Same here, but mine is amdgpu_bl1. Everything is fine (brightness, graphic,…) except this error during startup.

How does this work? Does it not mess with the MHWD setup? Would I need to do any extra configuration for Manjaro to use the 450 driver?

1 Like

Also AMD GPU drivers seem to have got a lot worse. Tried both kernel 5.8.0 and 5.7.14.

edit:
Or this might be my Vega 64 overheating now suddenly. Cranked up the fan speed with CoreCtrl… idle temps lowered from 61C to 34C … will see if this will change anything with stability.

edit2: nope. not this. this is just so unstable stuff. everything crashing.
Firefox crashing; Discord crashing; Xorg server crashing; Even the effing xcfe4-terminal managed to close itself with coredump.

You first need to delete the 440 (or else driver) using mhwd:

mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-440xx

and then install the 450 version.

the rest of the packages like nvidia-utils I had to install from the arch stable repo :0

because mhwd db is outdated and doesn’t have the 450 driver

2 Likes

Hi,
the new kernel gave me a headache: linux58 doesn’t have support for my admittedly antediluvian Nvidia GeForce-210 (video-nvidia-340xx), so I’m still running 5.7.14-1-MANJARO. Apart from that, smooth as silk -great job once more!

One question only: is there any chance of new drivers for my card?

I haven’t tested all of it yet, but so far so good, apart from one very strange glitch: sound output was missing after upgrade and reboot. The DE was behaving as if it could not find any sound devices.
I had to try to run a movie file, which initially gave no sound, to get the sound icon showing normally in the system tray, and to get my on-board sound output acknowledged as existing. Still no actual sound. I rebooted again and the problem was gone.

I also have a few emojis greyed out, but not nearly as many as others report on here.

When I upgraded, I had a problem with my laptop and now when I start it, this appears:

[FAILED] Failed to start Load/Save mess of backlight:acpi_video0

What can I do to fix it?
I was looking on the Manjaro Forum but it’s a private post, and in Arch Linux forums (but it didn’t work out…)

No problems after a bit of use. Updated via command line.

Grub reinstall, no issues. UEFI install

linux54, vanilla gnome, core i5, intel graphics, various extensions.

Side note, I like the look of the new forum!

I can’t get xrun to work anymore.
I was on linux56 and agreed to update to the “latest” metapackage. I had to uninstall nvidia-xrun though because apparently nothing provides “nvidia” anymore despite having linux57-nvidia-430xx installed. I force installed xrun by removing the nvidia dependency from the pkg file but it doesn’t work.

That also could be a Pamac bug, I will check it.

1 Like

I have the same problems as other users already reported with NVENC, no GPU acceleration on Shotcut, OBS, couldn’t even compile new Blender versions, etc.

Thankfully i could change to Unstable branch and wait until 450.57 Nvidia driver was updated there.

1 Like

You can install conky-manager2 from the AUR.

@pavlidistheo @aleksrom I hope you got it working ?

Updated my GNOME via TTY + UEFI Grub re-nstall - no issues.

Summary

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo grub-install --recheck --no-rs-codes
sudo update-grub
sudo reboot

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Hello,

Gnome user here. And I have a small issue that has occurred as soon as running the update, and I believe it may be the Nvidia Drivers after the update, but am going to try a few changes to see if it is a GPU issue or other issue.

I seem to be having blocks appear on the display. If I open an App, I have a square where the mouse cursor was that is just stuck with whatever the previous app was on the desktop (or if it was just the desktop, there is a square of the desktop stuck on the App that I then open).

It may be GPU or may be the Icon / Cursor scheme that I have running on Gnome.

But away from this small ‘square’ that gets stuck showing a square of the previous display. The display in general can take a good second to two longer to actually update. I am often getting a very delayed response to the display in general. I can be typing something on email, or even as I type on this post, it takes a few seconds before my words appear.

Running Gnome on my Optimus Laptop but have it running in Prime. Card is an Nvidia GTX 1050ti.

That being said, Games when in full screen (such as Fallout 4 using Steam Proton) run silky smooth still, so the issue is clearly not fully with the GPU as I would imagine the Gaming quality to be having issues also.

But I will try and check a few things out and then open a new post regarding this if it still persists.