[Stable Update] 2020-08-16 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox

I use always use LTS kernels 5.4.57, and 419 and 414 for backup.

Works quite well! Except the XPS 17 9700 sound issue, I still haven’t been able to get the sound card recognized. Any help on this matter would be appreciated, since the only solution I found online no longer works on kernel 5.8. I also might have tampered with my sleep settings a little too much because it’s no longer hibernating properly, but well…

Hmmm, downgrading VirtualBox to 6.1.10 didn’t work for me. Neither did 6.1.8. :frowning:

Did you try to set your Win7 VM USB controller to 1.1 instead of 2.0/3.0 in Virtualbox as a workaround ?

I’ve had same error and solved it by downloading Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.13-139853.vbox-extpack and replacing older extension pack with

sudo VBoxManage extpack install --replace ~/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.13-139853.vbox-extpack

But warning: this ext pack is a test version.

@ersatz, @fhins, shameless plug :innocent:

2 Likes

Sound not working after update to Linux kernel 5.7.14+/5.8.0+

Laptop updated and switched to latest kernel without a hitch - forum won’t let me edit my original post - this is weird.

cant get into login page on startup, after fresh install with 5.8 kernel. tty is working. i supose something wrong with gdm and nvidia drivers. using gnome btw.

Did you downgrade all of these? 6.1.10-1
virtualbox-ext-vnc
virtualbox-guset-dkms
virtualbox-guest-iso
virtualbox-ext-vnc

no i did not. i just wanted to try fresh install with new kernel. 5.7 kernel also not working for me, on old instalation got 5.6 but its already eol. wanted to have newer kernel.

Good call. I did the upgrade a few days ago, but just realized this morning that MEGAsync wasn’t running. I just rebuilt it with yay -S megasync (choosing clean build), and it works now. :partying_face:

EDIT: Added quote from @Ben.

Tried that. It fails with error:
alsactl: get_control:256: Cannot read control '3,0,0,Playback Channel Map,0': Invalid argument and no file is generated.

Updated smoothly via TTY.

Update removed my fallback kernel 56 and claimed to replace it with the same one that I was currently running 5.7.14, in reality i think it just removed 56.

Thanks for the update. <3

after full update, the kernel was changed, from 5.6 to 5.7. after that de not started, i was able to get into tty when enter startx command, and all de apears working. but i think until next reboot, how to fix this issue?

My audio is malfunctioning, a simple restart fixes the issue, but it keeps returning.
██████████████████ ████████ Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.7.14-1-MANJARO
██████████████████ ████████ Uptime: 43m
████████ ████████ Packages: 1452
████████ ████████ ████████ Shell: bash 5.0.18
████████ ████████ ████████ Resolution: 1920x1080
████████ ████████ ████████ DE: KDE 5.73.0 / Plasma 5.19.4
████████ ████████ ████████ WM: KWin
████████ ████████ ████████ GTK Theme: Breath [GTK2/3]
████████ ████████ ████████ Icon Theme: Reversal
████████ ████████ ████████ Disk: 94G / 228G (44%)
████████ ████████ ████████ CPU: Intel Core i7-8565U @ 8x 4.6GHz [54.0°C]
████████ ████████ ████████ GPU: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (WHL GT2)

these are my audio drivers:
Audio: Device-1: Intel Cannon Point-LP High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.7.14-1-MANJARO

PipeWire caused some trouble for me: [Vfio] VM isn't booting anymore since updates on Sunday

Is PipeWire necessary to have?

the whell line can be disabled (#)
we have in this file @includedir /etc/sudoers.d/ read this directory

I have, and there is only one file named “ctdb” in sudoers.d with this content

• Defaults!/etc/ctdb/statd-callout !requiretty
  • rpcuser ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /etc/ctdb/statd-callout

I can’t disable the wheel line in sudoers.conf

@CyberOto @cbDejaVu @koji54 Thanks for all the tips.

I’m using kernel 5.4. After to-ing and fro-ing with various downgrades, I ultimately reverted to virtualbox version 6.1.12 and then downloaded the corresponding Oracle extensions and ran:

sudo vboxmanage extpack install --replace /usr/share/virtualbox/extensions/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.12.vbox-extpack

Note that trying to install the extension pack using the virtualbox GUI doesn’t work because it tries to use VBoxExtPackHelperApp which has apparently been replaced with vboxmanage.

I had to re-start a couple of my guests, but otherwise it all seems to work fine now.

1 Like

Yes, you always have to download the extension pack from through Oracle. Glad you got it to work.