[Stable Update] 2020-08-16 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox

Hi,
the new kernel gave me a headache: linux58 doesn’t have support for my admittedly antediluvian Nvidia GeForce-210 (video-nvidia-340xx), so I’m still running 5.7.14-1-MANJARO. Apart from that, smooth as silk -great job once more!

One question only: is there any chance of new drivers for my card?

I haven’t tested all of it yet, but so far so good, apart from one very strange glitch: sound output was missing after upgrade and reboot. The DE was behaving as if it could not find any sound devices.
I had to try to run a movie file, which initially gave no sound, to get the sound icon showing normally in the system tray, and to get my on-board sound output acknowledged as existing. Still no actual sound. I rebooted again and the problem was gone.

I also have a few emojis greyed out, but not nearly as many as others report on here.

When I upgraded, I had a problem with my laptop and now when I start it, this appears:

[FAILED] Failed to start Load/Save mess of backlight:acpi_video0

What can I do to fix it?
I was looking on the Manjaro Forum but it’s a private post, and in Arch Linux forums (but it didn’t work out…)

No problems after a bit of use. Updated via command line.

Grub reinstall, no issues. UEFI install

linux54, vanilla gnome, core i5, intel graphics, various extensions.

Side note, I like the look of the new forum!

I can’t get xrun to work anymore.
I was on linux56 and agreed to update to the “latest” metapackage. I had to uninstall nvidia-xrun though because apparently nothing provides “nvidia” anymore despite having linux57-nvidia-430xx installed. I force installed xrun by removing the nvidia dependency from the pkg file but it doesn’t work.

That also could be a Pamac bug, I will check it.

1 Like

I have the same problems as other users already reported with NVENC, no GPU acceleration on Shotcut, OBS, couldn’t even compile new Blender versions, etc.

Thankfully i could change to Unstable branch and wait until 450.57 Nvidia driver was updated there.

1 Like

You can install conky-manager2 from the AUR.

@pavlidistheo @aleksrom I hope you got it working ?

Updated my GNOME via TTY + UEFI Grub re-nstall - no issues.

Summary

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo grub-install --recheck --no-rs-codes
sudo update-grub
sudo reboot

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Hello,

Gnome user here. And I have a small issue that has occurred as soon as running the update, and I believe it may be the Nvidia Drivers after the update, but am going to try a few changes to see if it is a GPU issue or other issue.

I seem to be having blocks appear on the display. If I open an App, I have a square where the mouse cursor was that is just stuck with whatever the previous app was on the desktop (or if it was just the desktop, there is a square of the desktop stuck on the App that I then open).

It may be GPU or may be the Icon / Cursor scheme that I have running on Gnome.

But away from this small ‘square’ that gets stuck showing a square of the previous display. The display in general can take a good second to two longer to actually update. I am often getting a very delayed response to the display in general. I can be typing something on email, or even as I type on this post, it takes a few seconds before my words appear.

Running Gnome on my Optimus Laptop but have it running in Prime. Card is an Nvidia GTX 1050ti.

That being said, Games when in full screen (such as Fallout 4 using Steam Proton) run silky smooth still, so the issue is clearly not fully with the GPU as I would imagine the Gaming quality to be having issues also.

But I will try and check a few things out and then open a new post regarding this if it still persists.

It is not a private post; it’s the old Manjaro forum, just left due to technical problem. You have to put 'archived.’ before forum.manjaro.org in the address bar.

Try this: :wink:

1 Like

I can’t get over the fact that it’s called boot hole, that killed me the first time I read it

1 Like

It will be removed sooner than later. I’m just suggesting you being prophylactic.

thank you for this, have been struggling to get 450xx drivers installed for awhile now. Worked perfectly

Unfortunately no your card has reached the End of Life support from nvidia so it won’t be supported in any future nvidia drivers moving forward. They stopped support for that series in 2016 and the 340 series driver is the last driver that will support that card. It is an 11 year old card which isnt’ bad that it still gets some driver support at least.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3142/~/support-timeframes-for-unix-legacy-gpu-releases

That is a link to nvidia’s website that lists the end of life support timeframes.

Hello eveeryone,
Any idea why my machine will not use the latest kernel even after I downloaded it? It is happening on 1 of my 3 machines.

screenfetch

██████████████████ ████████ xxxx@xxxx-linux
██████████████████ ████████ OS: Manjaro 20.1 Mikah
██████████████████ ████████ Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.7.14-1-MANJARO
██████████████████ ████████ Uptime: 0m
████████ ████████ Packages: 1632
████████ ████████ ████████ Shell: bash 5.0.18
████████ ████████ ████████ Resolution: 3840x2160
████████ ████████ ████████ DE: KDE 5.73.0 / Plasma 5.19.4
████████ ████████ ████████ WM: KWin
████████ ████████ ████████ GTK Theme: Breath [GTK2/3]
████████ ████████ ████████ Icon Theme: breath2-dark
████████ ████████ ████████ Disk: 362G / 933G (41%)
████████ ████████ ████████ CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core @ 24x 3.8GHz
████████ ████████ ████████ GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (NAVI10, DRM 3.37.0, 5.7.14-1-MANJARO, LLVM 10.0.1)
RAM: 1975MiB / 32122MiB

mhwd-kernel -li
Currently running: 5.7.14-1-MANJARO (linux57)
The following kernels are installed in your system:

• linux57
  • linux58

diid you update grub and select kernel 58 in the grub menu?

Grub was updated. But at boot GRUB menu is not coming up. Including after pressing SHIFT during boot.

grub-install --version
grub-install (GRUB) 2.04~manjaro

you could try and set the grub_timeout to 3 in /etc/default/grub and update grub afterwards. That should show the menu for 3 seconds.