[Stable Update] 2020-08-16 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox

After the update and a reboot, I got a wired issue, where the application window freezes but I can move my pointer, access the menu but I am unable to open other applications via the GUI. But able to open them up via terminal. I had to kill all the applications. I again rebooted it’s working fine now.
I run gnome.

Couldn’t update with sudo pacman -Syu for the same reason, files exist in filesystem. Tried via Package Manager and the installation was successful. Got a message that some files were backed up somewhere, now I don’t remember a thing, should pay more attention in the future.

All seems to works fine (Package Manager icon is still black) and grub version is 2.04~manjaro. Was that supposed to happen by itself, I was under the impression that I had to do it manually?

yes I know it’s an AUR package but in this case it seems to be a pamac issue w/ google-chrome it is the only aur package which is marked as orphaned … or should we stop using aur packages now?

AUR packages get orphaned when a maintainer drops it.
It is then (hopefully) picked up by another maintainer.
Many AUR helpers report such package status.
On the other hand … google-chrome is not currently orphaned.

1 Like

I love the fact about the stable updates that it’s being tested first and then released. I rather wait a few weeks or even a month, and don’t worry about trying to fix a broken system! Updated 6 machines (KDE) without any issues. Thank you Manjaro team!

2 Likes

See: [Bug Report] Pacman shows updated AUR Packages as orphaned

1 Like

wine-staging 5.14 doesn’t seem to work at all. Nothing seems to work (via Wine) that used to work before.

Can’t even create a new fresh wineboot “bottle” ffs.

$ WINEPREFIX=~/w514.hearthstone WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot
002c:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 5.14 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
WARNING: Experimental compiler backend enabled. Here be dragons! Incorrect rendering, GPU hangs and/or resets are likely
0040:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
0040:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, 80004002
0040:err:ole:get_local_server_stream Failed: 80004002

0024:err:environ:run_wineboot boot event wait timed out
^C002c:err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW
wine: Call from 7B00F4A2 to unimplemented function shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW called at address 7B00F4A2 (thread 002c), starting debugger...
002c:err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger L"winedbg --auto 40 144" (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
0044:fixme:console:default_ctrl_handler Terminating process 20 on event 0
[deemon@Zen ~]$ ^C

downgraded back to wine-staging 5.8 where everything worked semi well and seems to work semi well still now.

discord 0.0.11-1 seems to be also more crashy than before. Sadly there is no way to downgrade this because it automatically upgrades itself on launch.

1 Like

I like to use conky-manager. So I stay on 5.6.19-2

Solution was installing 450 driver with dkms

yay -S nvidia-dkms
1 Like

Update went well. No issues! :clap:

Same here, but mine is amdgpu_bl1. Everything is fine (brightness, graphic,…) except this error during startup.

How does this work? Does it not mess with the MHWD setup? Would I need to do any extra configuration for Manjaro to use the 450 driver?

1 Like

Also AMD GPU drivers seem to have got a lot worse. Tried both kernel 5.8.0 and 5.7.14.

edit:
Or this might be my Vega 64 overheating now suddenly. Cranked up the fan speed with CoreCtrl… idle temps lowered from 61C to 34C … will see if this will change anything with stability.

edit2: nope. not this. this is just so unstable stuff. everything crashing.
Firefox crashing; Discord crashing; Xorg server crashing; Even the effing xcfe4-terminal managed to close itself with coredump.

You first need to delete the 440 (or else driver) using mhwd:

mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-440xx

and then install the 450 version.

the rest of the packages like nvidia-utils I had to install from the arch stable repo :0

because mhwd db is outdated and doesn’t have the 450 driver

2 Likes

Hi,
the new kernel gave me a headache: linux58 doesn’t have support for my admittedly antediluvian Nvidia GeForce-210 (video-nvidia-340xx), so I’m still running 5.7.14-1-MANJARO. Apart from that, smooth as silk -great job once more!

One question only: is there any chance of new drivers for my card?

I haven’t tested all of it yet, but so far so good, apart from one very strange glitch: sound output was missing after upgrade and reboot. The DE was behaving as if it could not find any sound devices.
I had to try to run a movie file, which initially gave no sound, to get the sound icon showing normally in the system tray, and to get my on-board sound output acknowledged as existing. Still no actual sound. I rebooted again and the problem was gone.

I also have a few emojis greyed out, but not nearly as many as others report on here.

When I upgraded, I had a problem with my laptop and now when I start it, this appears:

[FAILED] Failed to start Load/Save mess of backlight:acpi_video0

What can I do to fix it?
I was looking on the Manjaro Forum but it’s a private post, and in Arch Linux forums (but it didn’t work out…)

No problems after a bit of use. Updated via command line.

Grub reinstall, no issues. UEFI install

linux54, vanilla gnome, core i5, intel graphics, various extensions.

Side note, I like the look of the new forum!

I can’t get xrun to work anymore.
I was on linux56 and agreed to update to the “latest” metapackage. I had to uninstall nvidia-xrun though because apparently nothing provides “nvidia” anymore despite having linux57-nvidia-430xx installed. I force installed xrun by removing the nvidia dependency from the pkg file but it doesn’t work.

That also could be a Pamac bug, I will check it.

1 Like