Space on Manjaro is being taken up for no reason

I have been using Manjaro for a few days. The space of the Manjaro operating system of the partition on my hard disk on my computer gets taken away of my computer and the storage of the operating system constantly shrinks. Is it because I opened Timeshift Software? I just opened Timeshift Software, didn’t do any configuration just pressed ok to to see the configuration. In the beginning I had 445GB space on Manjaro while Manjaro used up 488GB Disk space. I downloaded some softwares and ended up having 298GB free space. I checked the space again and found that I had 249GB space. As I kept checking I saw that the space kept reducing in Manjaro for no reason and it has gone down to 174.2GB. What am I suppose to do?

Which filesystem are you using ?

The file system is ext4

Hi @narendra9,

It might very well be from timeshift. Check and post disk usage with:

df --human-readable

Also

sudo du / --max-depth=1 --human-readable                                                                                                                                                                                                         

IIRC the timeshift mount should be shown there.

I tried executing your code. Here is the result

df --human-readable
   ~  df --human-readable  :heavy_check_mark:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
dev 3.8G 0 3.8G 0% /dev
run 3.8G 1.8M 3.8G 1% /run
/dev/sda7 480G 289G 167G 64% /
tmpfs 3.8G 22M 3.8G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 3.8G 63M 3.7G 2% /tmp
/dev/loop0 128K 128K 0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/bare/5
/dev/loop5 60M 60M 0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/notes/4
/dev/loop6 44M 44M 0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/snapd/14978
/dev/loop4 66M 66M 0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/gtk-common-themes/1519
/dev/loop2 111M 111M 0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/core/12725
/dev/loop3 249M 249M 0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-38-2004/99
/dev/loop1 62M 62M 0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/core20/1361
/dev/sda1 196M 182M 15M 93% /boot/efi
tmpfs 768M 96K 768M 1% /run/user/1000
tmpfs 768M 76K 768M 1% /run/user/1001
   ~  sudo du / --max-depth=1 --human-readable  :heavy_check_mark:
[sudo] password for anant:
0 /sys
0 /dev
4.0K /mnt

Thank you!

Tip:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead off like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance. Please edit your post accordingly.

Edit:

Also, the output:

Looks incomplete, it should be much longer. Please try again, but wait for the command to complete.

You could check where that space is used.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_of_applications#Disk_usage_display

Thanks for the code. It really helped. Now I have 242.9GB. What should I do to ensure space reaches 298GB?

That didn’t do anything. Except provide output so that it can be inspected.

If some of the space is for keeping and backing up files how much storage would Manjaro need for backup using Timeshift?

When using btrfs you may need ca. 1GByte per week for updates of manjaro if using snapshots. (But these are no replacement for backups). Additionally you have to calculate what you yourself change in the filesystem in one week.

When using ext4 you may need a lot more space (because it does not snapshot) So in this case it may be necessary to reduce the frequency and the number of files to backup. Or you may use differential backups with rsync and hardlinks.

Generally a backup to the same disk is not considered a backup at all.

1 Like

There is cirtumstaces where diskspace occupied may increase uncontrollably. It most certainly will occur when using technoligies as

• snap
  • flatpak
  • appimage

Everyone will eat your available diskspace … munch . .munch … munch

If you are using btfs then - unless you have put in controls - the eaten space will be completely out of your control

My storage in the hard disk of my laptop is slowly and gradually shrinking. Why is this happening? I installed an AUR which is Adobe Acrobat Reader known as acroread, here is it’s link AUR (en) - acroread . Does this software acroread have malware and viruses? Did I install some malware and virus along with acroread on Manjaro? Some of the AURs in Manjaro are garbage that take up space. I would like to know why the storage in my hard disk in my laptop is shrinking? Earlier I installed Manjaro and opened Timeshift a software and when Timeshift opened I pressed some buttons with dialog box without knowing that it would eat space rapidly. So I installed Manjaro again. When I installed Manjaro again I never used Timeshift. What am I suppose to do to ensure that storage space on my hard disk on my laptop doesn’t get eaten further to a state where there is no more space?

What is shrinking? Total capacity or available free space?

The above question should be answered first.

Why would you immediately jump to the possibility regarding malware? How did you go from the ambiguous question of “shrinking storage” to “Did I install a virus?” Building PKGBUILDs from the AUR take up space… as do installing any packages from the repositories.

Are you familiar with what Timeshift does?

How much capacity does your drive/partition yield to begin with?

I’m confused why this is even a question. (This thread in general.)

Saving files and installing applications and using snapshots… take up space. Same with Windows or macOS.

1 Like

Can be journal, packages cache, user .chache folder … See this

And also do this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System_maintenance#Clean_the_filesystem

That might have been mistranslated, as is sounds as if is Manjaro’s fault of what AUR does or does not. Manjaor has nothing to do with AUR. An AUR package will act the same on whatever Arch linux based distribution/system will be installed.

1 Like

Why did you double-post, when a few months ago you were already provided answers to this exact same question:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I tried to reply to the topic I posted earlier but couldn’t do it as the time ran out. Here it is Space on Manjaro is being taken up for no reason - #12 by linux-aarhus . How long will help be given to a post until the post expires? It is the available free space that is shrinking gradually on hard disk on my laptop, not the total space and this is quite frustrating for me. What am I suppose to do to ensure that space doesn’t get eaten up any further? You all can ask questions as to why this mishap is taking place with the Manjaro Plasma operating system I am using and I will reply on time before this post expires. Can you all study all the queries I have had with this post I had put recently a few days ago and a few months ago in this post I have given the link of to in this post and ask me relevant questions as to why the space on my hard disk is shrinking on my laptop and I will give my experience before this post expires.

Hi @narendra9,

While I have seen that post previously, I haven’t read through it (yet). But please, seeing as you use plasma, can you provide the output for:

balooctl status

You are in fact just repeating yourself with an unformatted post with half sentences and generally difficult to read and understand.

There is no mishap - nothing with Plasma or Manjaro which eats your diskspace - if your diskspace shrinks it is due to your actions and/or choices and there is nothing we can say or do which can change your habits.

If you use btrfs then maintenance is required by the user - in this case you - this is a consequence of selecting btrfs - btrfs is not a set and forget filesystem - it requires periodic attention - maintenance and care - but we don’t even know if that is the case on your system.

You have been provided all kinds of possible options for you to check and if necessary implement - but you happily ignore those and create a new unreadable difficult to understand topic which at first glance looks like your previous unreadable topics.

Summarising previous reponses

• Get rid of … whatever takes space - movies, big zip archives …
  • If you use btrfs and snapshots - cleanup your snapshots (open timeshift and do your thing)
  • Clean your filesystem
  • Clean your Pamac custom build cache
  • Reduce the logs
  • Empty your downloads folder
  • Use the package manager to remove unused applications
  • Use the package manager to clean orphan packages
  • Remove all snap packages
  • Remove all flatpak packages
  • If using SSD enable fstrim.timer to reclaim cells occupying removed data.
1 Like