Sound not working after upgrade

@nikgnomic I did a fresh install of Manjaro Plasma and the sounds was working on kernel 5.6. I switched to kernel 5.4 and the sound issue returned after a full update.

When I run alsa-info.sh --upload I get a command not found.

I already updated the BIOS when I first built PC earlier this year. Seems like a good idea to update based on the improvements regardless of it fixing this issue. With out making any changes and with my sound currently working I ran `alsa-info.sh --upload and got following:

dmesg: read kernel buffer failed: Operation not permitted
Uploading information to www.alsa-project.org ... Done!

Your ALSA information is located at http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=eb9047692e8c90436edb501d6f0611011dff7c4b
Please inform the person helping you.

BIOS update went well but didnā€™t fix this issue. It is a good idea to keep the BIOS updated for all the additional benefits.

I got the operation not permitted as well when running also-info.sh --upload even when running the command in root.

Here is my alsa information: http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=824fac2a8d1074906074d6df0289f7f6c560f6d4

I downgraded to kernel 4.19 and sound is working but I have to unplug my USB headset and then plug it back in to get it working every time I boot. 5.8., 5.4, and 5.7 still not working.

Yeah unfortunately my PC will not work with that kernal. I think it needs to be at least 5.4 due to my Video Card being a Radeon 5600XT which came out in Feb-March time frame. From my journal I did see message :
Aug 18 18:21:52 sammy-ms7c02 plasmashell[1243]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_2a_00.4.analog-surround-41.monitor"

1 Like

Upgrade to Kernel 5.8.0-2 fixed for me.

Yep, mine is MSI too. Specifically a B450 Tomahawk. Iā€™ve never had any issues until the update, I assume thatā€™s the case for you as well?

I should also mention that in my earlier post I said it works when I select the kernel from advanced options, but thatā€™s only partially true. My speakers work, but it doesnā€™t recognize a headset at all (which doesnā€™t work for me because my wife and I are both working from home in the same room).

1 Like

I updated to 5.8.0-2 and it worked at first but after rebooting it was still having issue. I canā€™t fully remove 5.7 as it says there are dependencies:
removing linux57 breaks dependency ā€˜linux57ā€™ required by linux-latest

1 Like

@Gatorman60 The same issue. After some reboot with that kernel, sound does not work again.

I went ahead and updated bios from v3.6 to v3.7. and boot up and the analog-surround 5.1 option was available so I selected it. Here is the journal output of the action. Doesnā€™t make a whole lot of sense to me but maybe it does to someone:

Aug 18 21:53:15 sammy-ms7c02 plasmashell[1256]: qrc:/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.volume/contents/ui/ListItemBase.qml:151: TypeError: Cannot read property 'ports' of undefined
Aug 18 21:53:15 sammy-ms7c02 plasmashell[1256]: kf.i18n: "0 instead of 1 arguments to message {Mute %1} supplied before conversion."
Aug 18 21:53:15 sammy-ms7c02 plasmashell[1256]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_2a_00.4.analog-surround-41"
Aug 18 21:53:15 sammy-ms7c02 plasmashell[1256]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_2a_00.4.analog-surround-41.monitor"
Aug 18 21:53:15 sammy-ms7c02 plasmashell[1256]: file:///usr/share/kpackage/kcms/kcm_pulseaudio/contents/ui/DeviceListItem.qml:33: TypeError: Cannot read property 'width' of null
Aug 18 21:53:15 sammy-ms7c02 plasmashell[1256]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_2a_00.4.analog-surround-51"
Aug 18 21:53:15 sammy-ms7c02 plasmashell[1256]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_2a_00.4.analog-surround-51.monitor"
Aug 18 21:53:15 sammy-ms7c02 plasmashell[1256]: org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name "alsa_output.pci-0000_2a_00.4.analog-surround-51.monitor"
Aug 18 21:53:15 sammy-ms7c02 plasmashell[1256]: file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls.2/org.kde.desktop/ComboBox.qml:96:9: QML Connections: Implicitly defined onFoo properties in Connections are deprecated. Use this syntax instead: function onFoo(<arguments>) { ... }
Aug 18 21:53:23 sammy-ms7c02 dbus-daemon[510]: [system] Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)
Aug 18 21:53:23 sammy-ms7c02 pipewire[1603]: [E][000000043.008200][bluez5-dbus.c:1436 get_managed_objects_reply()] GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut
Aug 18 21:53:23 sammy-ms7c02 kded5[1208]: kf.bluezqt: PendingCall Error: "Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)"
Aug 18 21:53:23 sammy-ms7c02 pulseaudio[1321]: E: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)
Aug 18 21:53:24 sammy-ms7c02 kwin_x11[1212]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 12977, resource id: 52428807, major code: 15 (QueryTree), minor code: 0
Aug 18 21:53:24 sammy-ms7c02 kwin_x11[1212]: qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 12982, resource id: 52428807, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
Aug 18 21:53:28 sammy-ms7c02 xdg-desktop-portal-kde[1500]: xdp-kde-background: GetAppState called: no parameters
Aug 18 21:53:34 sammy-ms7c02 plasmashell[1256]: trying to show an empty dialog
1 Like

Pulseaudio works on my system, but I have to reload it manually.

Same here.I suspect some race condition.

• No sound devices after logging in (sddm/Plasma) in 9 out of 10 times.
  • Changed my session options in KDE to start with clean session instead of saved one. No change
  • Manually issuing ā€˜pulseaudio -kā€™ gets things to work.
  • Added a new testing user with default settings. The issue appears to happen less often (50% of the time)

As a workaround i added a sesssion startup script with ā€˜pulseaudio -kā€™ which makes things work 98% of the time, but even that fails in rare cases. Iā€™m using preload (if thatā€™s relevant)

1 Like

I do too, with an script added to ā€œstartup applicationsā€:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 5
pulseaudio -k
pulseaudio --start

Does fix it for a few times, but after some reboot, curiously pulseaudio stop working and does not recognize any audio chipset. I donā€™t know what to think.

1 Like

Facing the same issue after the latest upgrade, with MSI B450 Tomahawk, as the others mentioned. Using i3 with KDE (and sddm).

Had to restart pulseaudio, go to pavucontrol --tab 5 to enable the ā€˜Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controllerā€™ and then choose it as the output device for sound to work. The extra steps were likely needed because thereā€™s an extra audio controller from my graphics card, which got selected as main when the mobo one was not found.

3 Likes

@j00jitsu Another B450 Tomahawk user with this issue, very interesting. I have not had any issues with this motherboard prior to the update.

I did fresh installs of Pop!_OS, Kubuntu, and Fedora and the sound works fine on those distros with the latest updates. Pop and Kubuntu are running kernel 5.4 and Fedora was 5.7/5.8 I believe so those kernels all work fine in other distros.

Iā€™ll be testing EndeavourOS today to see if it works.

I believe Pipwire is still working through itā€™s initial stages of development. Not certain what that error means.

pulseaudio -k didnā€™t work for me.

not sure about this MSI motherboard, but i recall that B450 motherboards had issues
and i do not think a solution found on old forum

search on bugzilla found this open bug report
Bug 195303 - AMD HD-audio controller: Sound capture is crackled / distorted

it appears that problems with this audio codec have not been resolved yet

I downgraded to kernel 4.19 and sound is working

if audio is working ok, suggest getting ALSA data with alsa-info.sh which could then be compared data from a non-working ALSA

but the ALSA data posted for kernel v5.4 is not showing any problems that i can see

suggest check for any error messages

sudo dmesg | grep snd

and

pacmd dump

to check pulseaudio

pulseaudio -k may appear to restart pulseaudio ok, but it will break some pulseaudio functions

• the systemd pulseaudio.service may fail
  • some of the pulseaudio modules will not get re-loaded correctly
  • GUI controls in KDE may not work (because pulseaudio does not have module-device-manger loaded)
  • network audio device may not work (because two X11 modules are not loaded)
  • audio devices may get muted or suspended

suggest use this command to check if pulseaudio is ok

systemctl --user --full --no-pager status pulseaudio.{socket,service} 

and this to restart pulseaudio

systemctl --user restart pulseaudio
2 Likes

pulseaudio -k
pulseaudio --start

Thatā€™s redundant and does more bad than good.
The -k option does restart automatically. Iā€™d try without the second line.

And BTW i have a B450 MoBo, too, so this seems chipset related

1 Like

In the ā€œoldā€ forum (sadly, the posts seem to have been deleted/privated), one solution would be to delete pulseaudios cache. I might need a refresher on path, but I do believe it was ~/.config/pulse/** or ~/.pulse. It had caused trouble in the past upgrade.

I had the same problem now ā€“ then I realized my headset was just unplugged because I had tripped on the cord.

1 Like