"Sorry, you can't include links in your posts."

Agree. Not only do you want to solve a Manjaro user’s problem, but you want any user to be able to solve problems on their own in the future; Tell them the solution and them show them the solution, or at least the documentation. I always ask myself, how did they (the person that solved the problem) know to do that. It’s how we all learn and grow. Plus there is some great documentation out there. It’s all about empowering the user with knowledge. Yeah Linux and your chosen desktop :slight_smile:

Did I just miss the announcement that many of us would lose the ability to add hyperlinks? Because I had in the archived forum, and then I had it when I created my id in the new forum, and then it just went away.

1 Like

The old forum crashed and we all had to start at 0 again.

There is nothing the admins can do about it as it was a database corruption that had been going on for a long time already so all backups were affected too!

You’ve lost things, I’ve lost things and Linux-Aarhus has lost more than you and me put together!

Let’s all face reality together and move on…

:sob: :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

open forum urgently from scratch, then it took a few days to make the settings especially permissions. Now is good for permissions (good setting)

2 Likes

Maybe someone has to test backups from time to time. I mean what is the point of backups if it gives you false hope?

I know, old cows..

I know, I am fetching old cows out of the ditch

1 Like

@papajoke , @Fabby
HHHhhmmm… I think there is a misunderstaning. Sorry I wasn’t clear. I read the announcement on the original problem a long time ago. I know about the archived forum. That’s all history.

I’m only on this thread because I searched the current forum why I was suddenly getting a message saying I couldn’t include hyperlinks because, and this is the strange part, for several weeks I could add hyperlinks to the current forum. I thought the message was a one off, and ignored it, but after several times I thought I’d investigate. I don’t know much about Discourse, and I didn’t see any announcement here that anything changed. So now I know there wasn’t an announcement, it’s not me :slight_smile: , and some setting was changed some time after we re-created our accounts on the current forum.

Here’s a post of mine that I posted on August 24th with lots of hyperlinks. I Re-Joined on August 15th (the same day as the Announcement for the New/Current forum). I don’t view the forum everyday, but from the 15th to at least the 24th I could add hyperlinks.

8/24
What are some commands new users should know in Manjaro?
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/what-are-some-commands-new-users-should-know-in-manjaro/13010/8.

8/15
The Announcement for the New Forum:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/welcome-to-the-new-manjaro-forum/151

1 Like

yes, we tell you! the final adjustments are just made afterwards: 2020-08-26 :

we are 15 000 forum users and you are 15 000 - 131 in the same case. When forum was created, there were priorities and permissions were not one of them…
you would have preferred that the forum opens later, that stable update is delayed for several days and not to be able to write link from the beginning ? it’s a new forum with new maintainers, so it took time to set everything up when everything is new, be a bit tolerant :grin:

3 Likes

lol, the thousands of posts that some of us old timers have lost via the multiple Manjaro forum crashes since 2011 has to be laughed at.

Who are you? Your past posts? Have we lost ourselves when we forget our history? (good question I think).

Every post a winner I say! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t want to be irritating to Manjaro staff, but ignoring people doesn’t make them forget they asked multiple time something when other people were derailing the thread into “images bad, links bad, you don’t need them, blabla off topic, blabla”.

So

The main issue is here, forum tell them they have XX permission but they do not, hence the question in the opening post, as the guy noted, as I also demonstrated.

So, logical question, following opening thread, now that this has been established what will you do about it? You seem to completely ignore that when it is the origin of the issue here (edit: not opening post but following messages). That’s weird when it is staff who derail threads…

4 Likes

Exactly it’s the big trouble.
We still have to find translators and modify 4 fields and the maintainer to find the time. I am relatively pessimistic

Not sure if you’re sarcastic about the insignificance of the wrong badges description to deny the question, or if you’re sarcastic to point that it would take around 10 to 15 minutes (upload of the file included) to adjust the english strings of a few words and google translate them for other languages (or ask in the forum to the community who would do it instantly without usual google translate non sense mistakes)?

:rofl:

1 Like

nothing sarcastic in what I say - i liked your message ! (but my English is bad, ok)
I say that the forum administrator is overworked: open source is collaboration and mutual aid. If you think that administrator has time to change this texts himself … you can wait a long time.

So if we want a change (I agree with you), it’s up to us to retrieve texts / change / translate and only when there will be a good number of them we can ask the administrator to modify this texts.
ps: no file to download or replace, the administrator has in his dashboard a place to modify these fields.

3 Likes

OK no problem at all lol

But we can’t really help on the matter as we don’t really know the changes to default permission so we can not provide accurate badge description.

Anyway I will untrack this thread now it is solved for me and issues have been raised, it’s up to staff now.

2 Likes

I was only going to post a link to a page on the old forums. Kind of external, kind of not. Someone raised an issue that had been raised before.

It is a brand new forum, it takes a while to iron out the kinks. & as papajoke stated, it is all voluntary labor.

Gratitude is the best attitude… :wink:

4 Likes

I was able to post images straight away (at least within 3 days when I posted what I think is my first one; certainly not TL2). I think the permissions were changed a bit later, possibly to avoid a flood of images on the new server-space.

Allowing time to let the dust settle is definitely needed! :wink:

Links to the old Forum should definitely be allowed though.

3 Likes

I came across this thread because I am a new manjaro user who has written a bunch of pkgfile’s that I would like feedback on and that others may find useful, but I cannot share them because I am not allowed to post links.

I have demonstrated that I am a real person with real interactions. I can see with new accounts, but why is there so much resistance to allowing people to do what they need to? Why do you assume to know what good discussion is, and what important contributions are made up of?

1 Like

It’s not really an asumption on the part of humans; it’s part of an automated process (mostly). You just need to earn the relevant badges it seems. I know it may be frustrating but there is (effectively) a minimum level of participation before being granted TL2 (Member).

This might help:
Understanding Discourse Trust Levels

3 Likes

Can you confirm that this site implements trust levels unmodified from the Discourse defaults you cite? In my case, I believe I have met TL2 days ago.

4 Likes

PM mods with details of your post nature.

1 Like

It does differ in some respects according to what I’ve read, but am afraid I don’t know the specific details. Maybe someone such as @codesardine may be in a position to elaborate? (If that’s appropriate, of course).

1 Like