"Sorry, you can't include links in your posts."

It is frustrating but a good way to forbid any kind of spam. you can still add a random character in the http:// part to make it ‘not a link’ if needed to bypass the restriction. After a couple weeks of activity you’ll have normal permission, new accounts don’t.

edit: look what I can do, an image with a link!

Summary

edit 2: I see you joined same day as me so it may be up to your activity on the forum probably.

3 Likes

I got rick rolled!

4 Likes

I have the same issue. It’s a bit irritating that after years of activity on the forum we must go through this again. I wanted to post screenshots to illustrate something and I can’t, not yet.

I remember that on the old forum, when it was new, restrictions were too high and it was needed to modify them down a bit. Maybe the same action is needed now?

4 Likes

Forum open since 8 days and we have already TL2, is not hard and fast

2 Likes

What is TL2?

By the way, I got “Basic” level some time ago and it says:

Ograniczenia nałożone na Ciebie jako na nowego użytkownika / nową użytkowniczkę zostały zniesione i otrzymujesz dostęp do wszystkich niezbędnych funkcji społecznościowych, takich jak wysyłanie wiadomości prywatnych, flagowanie wpisów, edytowanie wiki czy możliwość dodawania wielu obrazków i linków we wpisach.

To translate it, restrictions have been removed and I got all needed social fuctions like sending priv messages, flagging, editing wiki or adding many pictures and links in the threads.

So in theory I can add it but in reality I can’t, so maybe this is some kind of bug?

I get:

Sorry, you can’t embed media items in a post.

And those are just regular images send to a forum.

1 Like

Hence my post here

4 Likes

and no idea ? TL2 is member

1 Like

Those trust levels did matter only after beginning and then later I didn’t pay attention to it, so why would I remember them now? It was literally few years back.

1 Like

Those trust levels did matter only after beginning

yes , members are already back and in one week you will be a member(TL2) and forget again

no images is only for tl2, you can read this

3 Likes

But he’s right, the mistake is probably because you (Manjaro staff) changed the default permission on each TL, but read carefully:

Basic

This badge is granted when you reach trust level 1. Thanks for sticking around and reading a few topics to learn what our community is about. New user restrictions have been lifted; you’ve been granted all essential community abilities, such as personal messaging, flagging, wiki editing, and the ability to post multiple images and links.

This badge is granted when you reach trust level 2. Thanks for participating over a period of weeks to truly join our community. You can now send invitations from your user page or individual topics, create group personal messages, and have more likes per day.

Regular

This badge is granted when you reach trust level 3. Thanks for being a regular part of our community over a period of months. You’re now one of the most active readers, and a reliable contributor that makes our community great. You can now recategorize and rename topics, take advantage of more powerful spam flags, access a private lounge area, and you’ll also get lots more likes per day.

You probably need to adjust all these language strings to reflect the reality of permissions, in my opinion.

4 Likes

External links are of little value and should be avoided.

Posting images is a last resort (if images are necessary please wrap in a summary/details view) - images are not searchable and rather disturbing - and furthermore they are of little value and so is topics plastered with emoticons.

Summary view is beneath the :gear: icon and creates a block like this

Summary
[details="Summary"]
This text will be hidden
[/details]

In reality and in real life communication is a skill you must constantly improve on.

When you take the time to transform your issue into sentences you often find the solution because you are required to think.

4 Likes

What about the inconsistency between the permission the user has, and the description of the TL badges?

2 Likes

Why is it so important to post links and images?

Why does it matter - if you are an active member - great - then it will solve in due time.

Please accept the changes - it is a technical oriented forum - not facebook or instagram.

2 Likes

Posting links to the Manjaro Wiki and Arch Wiki doesn’t seem little value imo

And if someone has a known bug, it’s easier to link them directly to the issue on GitLab or GitHub or any other issue tracker.

It’s also irritating for new users who are trying to reference some help they’ve followed that didn’t work, but they can’t post links, so they have a very hard time referencing it for us to know. I’ve noticed this a number of times on the new forum already. People are posting broken up links to let us know what they’ve tried following already.

Sometimes there are issues where an image can portray significantly more than text, not always, but sometimes.

5 Likes

Isn’t it possible to put links Preformatted text also? They would not generate a hyperlink, but could be copy-pasted then.

Why? If it contains valuable information.
I would not want to spend time rewriting something that is already explained somerwhere else.

Regarding screenshots/images:
I generally agree that screenshots should be avoided if possible, e.g. where text could just be copied. Still screenshots do make sense explaining certain things like GUI issues for example.

8 Likes

Because we want to resume the normal activity as we were used to, help other users and that means posting screenshots or external links. I guess the link to the old forum is also considered an external one?

I was also thinking of restoring my optimus-manager guide here, but at the moment there is no proper area for such topics, plus I still can’t post images.

I know that after few days I will be able to do that and forget about it soon, but this kind of degradation feels bad, especially if you can’t do things that you did normally for a long time. It’s just impatience… but still a normal reaction, especially, that statuses descriptions says something otherwise, and we don’t know those trust levels by heart, so we don’t know how long those restrictions will be upon us.

As to this:

Really? The forum is new and without valuable content. Almost all valuable things are OUTSIDE of this forum (counting old forum as outside resource), so external links should be recommended.

3 Likes

I know I got the Basic level after 1 day. Did you do the little discobot tutorial? I’m not sure if that had anything to do with it.

1 Like

Such a short-sighted statement. There are many times when links and images are important.

A new user might post that they are experiencing an issue, then search the forum, find a possible solution in a separate thread or on Arch forums, or somewhere else. It would be useful to be able to reference those links so we understand what steps they have taken to troubleshoot.

Sometimes screenshots are useful. I encountered an error where my computer stopped recognizing any network devices. How would be a good way to get long terminal outputs from that computer? Can’t access the internet, so I can’t paste it into a post. Only real useful strategy is to take a photo with my phone.

Those are just two of many examples. It’s not always just a matter of communication skill.

The forum operators have said they’ve wanted to make the new forum more Newbie friendly. Well this isn’t a newbie friendly “feature”.

Edit: Just for example, one of my previous posts. Please explain to me how not having links is better than actually having those links in better illustrating an issue.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/pinebook-pro-emmc-installer/19244/3?u=yosukemat

9 Likes

I agree that links can be helpful - in the sense @moson mention - especially if they are references to the the source of the comment e.g. Manjaro wiki and Arch wiki as well as links internal to the forum and the now archived forum. References to the source of a given advise is also acceptable.

External links in the sense of news sites, youtube videos etc is of very little value.

Learning to put your issue into a textual form is necessary and the foundation for asking smart questions.

It is also necessary to formulate useful comments which provides long term value.

I don’t think it is short-sighted - it is the opposite - it will provide long-term value to the community where topics and comments is serious well phrased communication.

Facebook, Instagram and platforms like it can be used as communication but is poison for a problem solving community and for a lack of better term - it degenerates our way of communication.

Many moons ago Manjaro forum had a user which insisted on communication using video!

Can you image a technical forum where everyone communicates using screenshots, youtube videos and screen casts?

Such communication does not serve the purpose of providing long term value.

3 Likes

I needed to post a link to an old Manjaro wiki page that I’d written (before my trust level went up) as it had a script & directions for use in it. To get around the problem I just left the “h” off of the front of the URL. :slight_smile:

1 Like