Sometimes losing files when I move them to another drive

Sometimes, not all the time I lose files when I move them from my internal drive to my external drive. This is music & video files. Does not happen all the time but it does happen more frequently than I’d like. Usually the system will tell me that all the files have moved to the other drive and the little notification box goes away. I go back and check to see if the files are there and they are not. Then I check back on my laptop internet drive and they are not there either. Usually the files are lost in space and I can never find them again. Is there a way to stop this?

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.99.0
Qt Version: 5.15.7
Kernel Version: 5.15.78-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-5300U CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 5500
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name: HP EliteBook 820 G2
System Version: A3008CC18003

Any help would be great, thanks. :slight_smile:

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

A wild guess: is the external drive formatted in NTFS?

That’s not normal behavior at all.

Are you manually mounting the external drive, or allowing KDE to handle it automatically? (Via the USB icon in the tray.)

Yeah most likely.

When the thing pops up I click “Mount”.

Better be sure.

In which case, let’s also confirm which package you are using for handling NTFS partitions.

pacman -Qs ntfs

AFAIK losing data on NTFS partitions has been a recurrent issue with ntfs-3g. ntfs3 provides better support and should thus be preferred.