(solved) Install Dolphin Services fail

Hi guys,

In dolphin itself there is the possibility to install services over the list menu ‘Configure Dolphin’ - ‘Services’ - ‘Add new Services’. The ability to install dolphin extensions like that is very handy but it doesn’t work with Manjaro KDE.

I guess it’s a question of giving dolphin the right privileges to do so. Does anyone knows the solution?

I remember I was able to do so with other distros, it could have even been on Manjaro XFCE. So it could aswell be a thing with the System Settings of KDE.

Thanks very much for any help and hint.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.76.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.9.11-3-MANJARO
Dolphin Version 20.08.3

Be a little more specific - which services?
There are many defunct items that appear in the ‘installer’, you’re better off following the links and investigating (stuff like ‘Dolphin as root’ are a bad joke).

Try this one, open the Dolphin settings, follow the ‘Root Actions Servicemenu’ link. Looks interesting…

Now open a terminal and do ‘pamac search rootactions’ and install from there.

Bingo! (after installing, do pkill dolphin before quitting the terminal).

2 Likes

Hi Ben

Thank you very much for your reply. I could not find the ‘Root Actions Servicemenu’ with my dolphin version 20.08.3. May-be I can open it also by command line?

I had a look on Manjaro without KDE and on Kubuntu. Both versions allow me to install the mentioned services within dolphin, while with Manjaro KDE 20.2 all services offered are not installable.

So I think we really have to focus on KDE. While cruising the forums about that topic I always meet the great panic KDE professionals seems to have while giving a GUI root like permissions.

I think this unnessessary paternalism that shouldn’t have any space with a Arch-like distro. If I crush my system by GUI or by command line should be totally up to me. If I don’t know how to secure my system in such a way to be always ready for a rollback before making severe manipulations, then I should not work with Manjaro at all.

So I am still hoping for a professional solution coming from a major Manjaro KDE Guru.

Update:

I found it in the official repo as kde-services-rootaction. When installing that package the possiblity to download the services within dophin is released.

1 Like

Do as said to you. Above.

1 Like

That worked like a charm, @Ben! Thank you. I couldn’t get it to install through Dolphin, either. This is some powerful magic! :wink:

1 Like