Soft resetting KDE Desktop settings

Hi everyone,

Today I discovered my desktop widgets are hidden. Not sure what caused it, but I suspect one of the software upgrades I did for months.

According to the "Add Widgets..." sidepanel, they're still there. For example there is a bubble with a counter at the topleft of the widget choosing tile:

Rightclicking all over the place does not help to catch the widget with its rightclick-menu didn't help.

I've discovered they're still defined in ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc but unfortunately the panel widgets and other configs are also defined in it.

Is there a smart way to get rid of all the desktop widgets without losing my custom panel?

Because the only way I've in mind is to backup ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc, reboot and copy parts of the old file to the new one.

For sure: I'm talking about resetting desktop widgets, not panel widgets

Have you tried cleaning out ~/.cache instead? Best is to do it from a tty while completely logged out of Plasma.

P.S.: You may also want to unlock your widgets and check whether you've got any large spacers on your panel. It could be that you do, and that this spacer is pushing all of your widgets beyond the edge of the screen. :thinking:

Allright, I've tried that out yet. Nothing changed.

Do you mean Panel Dividers with "large spacers"?

I dragged my only panel off his usual place and dragged it over my screens. The desktop widgets didn't pop up.

BTW: I forgot to mention in the first post that I've two monitors in seamless view. Originally the widgets were at the second screen, while the panel was on the first one.

Sorry, I have no experience with dual-monitor setups. I'm going to have to leave this to someone else. :man_shrugging:

:white_flag:

In the end, backupping, deleting ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc, logout and readd the widgets to the panel, readd the widgets to the desktop, repin aplications and refavorite applications isn't that much work. But it's still annoying. :angry:

I discovered the "desktop with the applets" got "lost" when I want to use one of my screens for my game console:
I use the screen switcher (Super+P) to set the display layout to external screen only or laptopscreen only.
And after I'm done using the game console and revert to the old situation using the screen switcher (Super+P) again to extend to left or extend to right, I get a brandnew desktop on that screen without the right wallpaper and widgets.

In the end I discovered another workaround to fix it:

1. Lookup in ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc for the [Containments]-entry of that errorous desktop by searching on the wallpaper-name it uses.
  2. Find and Replace the old [Containments]-entry with the new [Containments]-entry of the same screen. For example, when the previous configuration of that desktop was called [Containments][2] and now it's called [Containments][40], Search and Replace all the [Containments][2]-entries with [Containments][40]. It looks like you don't need to worry about duplicate keys, the first one gets prevalence over the later keys within the same file.

Once upon a lifetime I'll dive in KDE's bugtracker if this issue is already known.
However, It would already help when the configuration about widgets placed in a panel is in a separate file of the configuration about widgets of a desktop. :rage:

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by