Mesa/Vulkan drivers were updated a few days ago (I’m on unstable branch), I’ve never had a problem with them, but since they were updated, now it’s impossible to open any Chromium-based browser using GPU acceleration, it shows all the visually corrupted screen.
The only way I’ve found to temporarily fix it is by starting the browsers from the console by adding this parameter so they don’t use GPU acceleration:
With Firefox there is no problem.
My GPU is an integrated AMD Radeon Vega Mobile.
Does anyone else have the same problem after updating the Mesa/Vulkan drivers to the latest version?
I am not a chromium user, but I do have ungoogled-chromium as a secondary browser. I don’t see any difference here on Unstable…but… is there a setting for GPU acceleration in Chromium? I see hardware acceleration which is enabled, but I don’t see a setting for GPU specifically, nor do I have a clue which flag I would need in chrome://flags
I dont have any issues … but I am also on ungoogled chromium.
Plus using nonfree repo and a custom raven ridge 6.4 kernel.
So I’ve been missing out on most of the wonky fun recently.
For what its worth though that means that amdgpu on a mobile iGPU is working here with hw-accel.
vulkan is not enabled though.
It appears you already have your workaround … and since things have been a little bit funky with amd/kernel6+/mesa in unstable/testing … you might want to just keep using that and doing your updates for a little while.
This has worked on Brave, Opera, and Edge. However, in Vivaldi, which is the one I use the most, this solution doesn’t work, even though I delete the files and see that they are recreated when I open Vivaldi again, the window is still completely corrupted…
I have tried to do it for Vivaldi, but it still did not work, although I saw that it recreated the files in the directories, the window continued to show itself corrupted.
So, what I have tried to do is rename the $Home/.config/vivaldi directory with another name, so that Vivaldi would create the user directory again, since the links said that it worked.
Indeed, I saw that doing this Vivaldi opened fine, so what I did next was rename the new user directory that it created for me, rename the vivaldi directory that I had renamed before, leaving it as it was, and copy from the new user directory that it had created, the content of the 3 directories that I mentioned above, and with this it has already worked.
Thanks for your help!
EDIT: However, after several tests, although now the Vivaldi interface is displayed correctly, it still presents some glitches with the rendering of some web pages such as GMail or buttons that disappear as in this forum…
As for the topic at hand - I saw a problem with vivaldi.
I had to remove .cache/vivaldi and .config/vivaldi to fix the issue - and I played around a little using a backup and a fresh version - it seems to be theme issue - something changed with the vivaldi configuration - since it is based on chromium …