Setup a Manjaro Mirror for local network usage

Hi,
I have several computers on my local ‘home’ network. When new packages arrive all machines start downloading the same package.

How to overcome this problem and download the new package just ones?

Before moving to Manjaro I used apt-mirror like tools so that any package was only downloaded ones and all local computers used the local ‘mirror’ server as their repository.

Can I set up something similar with my manjaro machines? Like a manjaro local mirror storing only requested packages needed in my network and removing old ones as I do never need the whole mirror.

EDIT: I am using pamac cli most of the time.

thanks,
Bastiaan

I use pacserve: Pacserve - ArchWiki

2 Likes

Super @Yochanan and @linux-aarhus exactly what I was looking for…

Also checked out other possibilities like paclan and pacmon but had the feeling pacserve was the most mature.

pacserve is an excellent piece

I remember a few threads on the topic - whcih one you end up with depends on your use-case

1 Like

Just dug a bit deeper. In pacserve you can alter pamac to include pacserve so you can keep using your pacman commands which is handy.

In Pacserve errors - Newbie Corner - Manjaro Linux Forum pacredir is mentioned as a better solution (but there is a bug FS#23407 : Allow soft failures on Server URLs with a patch to try by the author of pacredir)

I use pamac on the commandline mostly. (updated is the question) and there is no command to rule them all.

There is so many ways this can be done and there’s no one stop solution which fits all usecases.

When you have multiple systems - there’s no guarantee they are ever at an identical state - what if you use different branches on two systems? Using pacserve or pacredir in such case is asking for trouble :slight_smile:

To maintain a local mirror of a single branch using lftp to maintain a mirror is the simplest yet reliable solution. You can create service and a timer to trigger the service and thus run the syncs at a suitable interval or you could trigger the sync on demand - that is when the first wave of issues after a major snap has stabilized.

The benefit from doing so is the state of your systems is always known. You will have better control over the stability of your systems.

I guess setting up a proxy cache at the internet entrance would be a better solution. But so far pacsrv works for me. I use it mainly when there are like +100 packages to download.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.