Setting up Prime

I’m following this post, https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/howto-set-up-prime-output-offload-with-nvidia-proprietary-driver/40225, but I can’t edited the xorg.conf . I’m sorry if this is dumb but how do I do it?

You probably dont need to.
Is there a reason you are attempting to set it up manually?
If supported, you should be able to simply select the appropriate profile from manjaro-settings-manager.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Configure_Graphics_Cards

I’m trying to set it up manually because my laptop has a cpu with integrated graphics and a graphics card, and for some reason even when I use DRI_PRIME it works.

What works? Why is it an issue that it works?

I think most of those steps are unnecessary now (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong).

I think you should:

1. Install nvidia450xx or 455xx (I have heard that 455xx isn’t playing well with kernel 5.9)
  2. Install optimus-manager, you can see the method on Manjaro wiki and the projects github
  3. Install optimus-manager-qt if you want little icon on your dock to swap between intel/nvidia
  4. Maybe you’ll need to install vulkan-mesa-layer to launch games from Steam (I had to do that, your mileage may wary)

You can also check these two posts about the subject:

What specs is your laptop? Nvidia-prime should just work out of the box if you have the correct drivers installed. To launch any application on your dedicated gpu just type prime-run before it for example prime-run steam will launch steam on your dedicated gpu. There’s several ways to launch steam games on the dedicated gpu if you are gaming but lutris is the easiest

it didn’t I forgot the didn’t sorry

Thank you very much, I was just being dumb.

If you have an intel+nvidia gpu, then all you need to do is install the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime (or 440xx, 455xx) mhwd configuration (sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime) and PRIME render offload should function without any additional configuration. Run

glxinfo | grep renderer
prime-run glxinfo | grep renderer

to test it.

prime-run wasn’t working, but with optimus-manager it did, thanks though

Happy I could help, and FYI, I am always messing something up, so don’t be very hard on yourself.

no nvidia works with 5.9+

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.