Searching for tips or advice on a Manjaro clean install

I’d also suggest creating a separate /home partition which will not only keep your user data physically isolated from the Linux system itself, but also allow a greater ease in managing your personal data in the event you ever need to reinstall the system.

The easiest way to create a separate partition for /home is to do so during Manjaro installation; using the manual partitioning method. This will require you to do some extra thinking during install to decide respective partition sizes for your needs, for example; however, if you like to learn, this is a great opportunity.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, I usually just clone my installation and also use Timeshift, Timeshift itself saved me a couple of times; I’m very carefull with that.
BTRFS filesytem probably better for snapshots but I never tried it.

With a separate /home partition, you can still do that. The main difference is that you are then able to clone the /home partition by itself, if you choose to.

The other advantage is that you can fully reinstall Manjaro while leaving /home untouched - the result is a cleanly installed system with your previous user settings remaining intact.

1 Like

Hmm, depends what you mean by ‘well’.

Go to the “Support” section of KDE, count down the last 100 threads and you end up at a date about a 2 weeks ago. Go to the “Support” section of XFCE, count down the last 50 threads (statistically only half as many people use it) and you end up at the beginning of the year.

XFCE might be boring but if it’s stability you’re after, which your post implies, it will certainly deliver.

1 Like

Thanks, I really like XFCE so I probably go for that but still I’m gonna try the Manjaro KDE on usb to see how it feels…
I usually use Ventoy for that…
In case I choose XFCE the only thing I need to resolve is the screen tearing (last time a friend did that for me) but if needed I will open a thread on support for that.

Good Morning,
I would do it as @soundofthunder suggested.

I was helped very well here, in the forum to shrink my /root partition and create a separate /home.

Then I reinstalled Manjaro.
As @soundofthunder said:

Save the /home before and restore it later.

All my settings were carried over, everything was as before.

I did this on my notebook while the system was running.

/root partition I shrinkend it to create a new partition.

Content copied into it.

See [Move /home to another partition] (My thread for Move /home to another partition)

translated by Bing-com
Greetings
Tony

2 Likes

My disk has 465 GiB so I have to choose the size of /root and /home wisely, at one time I had only ~40 GiB free space available but If I just back up /home and then on the new install replace that /home for it, isn’t the result the same?

You asked for tips and advice; it’s up to you what you do with it. So far I’ve only seen you find fault in whatever may be suggested.

However, if your backup fails for whatever reason, you’d surely find yourself in a predicament. At least with /home on a separate partition, you have the option to reinstall the system with your personal data remaining in situ; should it ever come to that.

I agree that a 500G disk can potentially be difficult to manage; however, mine has survived admirably while including a / of 100G and 64G swap. The saving grace is in having external disks to offload (backup) infrequently needed data to.

At the end of the day, as is said, it’s only a question of what you’re comfortable with. Cheers.

Morning all,

@ARSManiac I think what @soundofthunder said fits to me and I think even to you right now.

That is how I done it.

Free_Space_of_Root_Partition

So I installed with the minimal ISO and installed already some Programms. Still some space over for other Programms.

Greeting
Tony

1 Like

Firstly, I use KDE (now Plasma 6) on Wayland. So far I’ve managed to negotiate any difficulties; but then, I also use AMD graphics which tends to be less troublesome than a combination of Wayland and Nvidia. Manjaro KDE suits the needs of my intended use case; I don’t foresee any major reason for it not to in future.

However, I still recall the general transition from Qt4 to Qt5; where there was always something (compatibility of applications, for example) not quite right for as much as a year after the fact. Considering how recent Plasma 6 is, some might consider waiting a while longer before adopting it for general use, despite its obvious appeal.

Of course, every OS and DE suffers to some degree during these types of transitions; even XFCE, which I used for a number of years. Screen tearing was an issue for me too, as I remember, until deciding to use proprietary drivers.

Since I’m gonna do a clean install I have no problem trying that (/home in a separate partition) and if I have a problem with the sizes of partitions in future I can always resize them with GParted right (I have to do it in a live iso if I’m not mistaken) ?
As for the screen tearning I’m consulting this in arch wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AMDGPU#Tear_free_rendering

I think I’m not finding fault in anything (I saw on a post someone suggesting just replacing /home directory), It’s just hard to get out of the zone of confort and experiment new things, still thank you for all your feedback.

If you’re performing a clean install, the easiest is to choose the manual partitioniong method in Calamares during install, and create it then. Later, if you need to resize you can; and yes, from the Live Installer; I’d recommend GParted and not the KDE Partition Manager.

Well, maybe not, but a little resistant :slight_smile: …and understandably, too;
the worst person to try to convince that change might be needed, is oneself.

1 Like

Oh, nice!
Thanks, that give me a general idea how It’s gonna look like, and It’s well organised too!

1 Like

Btw, how you guys deal with updates?
I usually just do sudo pacman -Syu
Sometimes I need to do sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && sudo pacman -Syyu
To update Flatpaks and AUR I always used Pamac GUI but I know that there are some commands to do these updates too (probably I should start doing that way)…
To manage Flatpaks permissions I use Flatseal, it helped me a lot with some apps like MegaSync to work correctly…
I usually do not use AppImages but I used Gear Lever sometimes to manage them and It´s very good, don’t know if there are other good alternatives…

For flatpaks - flatseal and add warehouse to the mix (of course everything can be done with the terminal, but is easier that way).
For appimage - appimagelauncher. This can also update some of them. For some others i have made a primitive update notification script (see my other own topics).

Also, some of the stuff i use on a daily basis can be found in my chest sheet - scroll down for the latest version.

1 Like

Use pacman to update from official repo’s:

sudo pacman -Syu
sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && sudo pacman -Syu
sudo pacman-mirrors --continent && sudo pacman -Syu

after that use pamac to handle foreign packages:

pamac update
# Update including AUR
pamac update --aur
# Update excluding AUR
pamac update --no-aur
1 Like

Thanks, since using Manjaro I had two problems in updates (one power failure and other an AUR package update borked the system), both solved by restoring a snapshot trough timeshift.
I once had a problem with flatpaks, I was using Kodi flatpak and the app freezed and I had to close it trough task manager, after a reboot flatpaks just didn’t launch anymore; I did
flatpak repair and later
sudo flatpak repair --reinstall-all to no avail, timeshift saved me again that time!

Didn´t know warehouse, neat app; I´m gonna check appimagelauncher too even though I rarely use appimages…

A golden rule-of-thumb is to always use a package from the official Manjaro repositories, if it exists. The package will have been especially curated, and may even contain modifications or fixes specifically for Manjaro, where other sources may not.

For example, in the case of Kodi:

# Search for a package (official repositories):
pacman -Ss kodi

# Search for information about that package:
pacman -Si kodi

# See if you have a package installed already:
pacman -Qs kodi

# Find information about the local package:
pacman -Qi kodi

# Install the package (note the use of `sudo`):
sudo pacman -S kodi

You will see people recommending pamac and pacman equally (or sometimes biased toward pamac). I will always recommend only pacman when performing a system update, and in this format:

sudo pacman -Syu

# Or, if attention to mirrors might also be needed:
sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && sudo pacman -Syu
sudo pacman-mirrors --continent && sudo pacman -Syu

See also: pacman-mirrors

If you really must use foreign AUR packages, flatpak or appimage, use pamac for those, preferably after using pacman:

# Build a package from AUR:
pamac build <packagename>

# Install a containerised package (flatpak or appimage):
pamac install <packagename>

# Update and include AUR packages:
pamac update --aur

# Update including flatpak/appimage but not AUR packages:
pamac update --no-aur

# Update everything (not my preference):
pamac update

I hope this is helpful. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks, I always use pacman first to do system updates, only then I update the rest (flatpaks and AUR).
I rarely use AUR, everything I need is in the repositories or via flatpaks, in some cases I prefer flatpaks over Manjaro repositories like for ex: Discord.