SD card reader not detected

I have freshly installed Manjaro xfce 21.3.7 on my HP Probook 455 G7. SD Card was not detected when I inserted it. I post here about my 30 minutes journey to fix it.

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    [HowTo] Provide System Information
    and press the three dots … below your post and press the :pencil2: to give us more information so we can see what’s really going on.
    Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies… :grin:
  2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information for us to be able to help you. (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.

:+1:

P.S. If you want to notify me that you did provide this information, please :heart: this message and I’ll come back and have another look.
P.P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which exact CPU/GPU or Kernel, … you have without typing it every time

If you have the same issue, and you run

mhwd -lh -d

and you stumble upon your card reader

06: PCI 300.0: ff00 Unclassified device
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/0000:03:00.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:03:00.0
Hardware Class: unknown
Model: “Realtek RTS522A PCI Express Card Reader”
Vendor: pci 0x10ec “Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.”
Device: pci 0x522a “RTS522A PCI Express Card Reader”
…

then you can also replug your SD card and run,

dmesg | tail -n 10

and you see something like this among the lines:

[ 2067.230935] mmc0: cannot verify signal voltage switch
[ 2067.344666] mmc0: new ultra high speed SDR50 SDHC card at address 0001
[ 2067.373892] mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 00000 29.8 GiB
[ 2067.379206] mmcblk0: p1 p2

then it is very likely that your SD Card reader is working. I have found this related article: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=215337
apparently the problem is that you have exfatprogs package installed, and somehow that causes this issue. I have replaced it with exfat-utils instead, and that solved the problem. Same might help you too.
:clap:

1 Like

Thanks Olli. I would like to note my fixes here, because I may run into the very same issue again. I would like to spare my future self from the 30-60 minute investigation, and just find a solution with a search engine. This is what I get. The community gets a straight forward solution to a very specific problem. Sounds like a win-win. Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.