SbK Lxqt 21.0.5

I am very pleased to announce the release of SbK Lxqt 21.0.5.

Both versions of this release include

1. The 5.10.36 linux kernel which is the latest LTS kernel.
  2. Lxqt .17 wich improves the dock functionality. It will only hide when covered by a window.
  3. Improved visual effects. Shadows appear more realistic with no gaps. Fading and blur have been tweaked.
  4. A basic Conky with a Dark Merigold color theme to match the other themes.
  5. The new KvDarkMerigold is a kvantum theme with matching gtk theme. The dark themes have been tweeked. An example is Kwrite no longer has a white text area.
  6. MintSpin Y icons were used and the mintspin-y-darkmerigold icon set was added.
  7. There is a new grub and matching lightdm theme that matches the desktop wallpaper/theme. Users of older SbK Lxqt installs can use the new themes, search for “sbk 210” without quotes to find the new lightdm and grub theme (dont use the live one).
  8. A lot of package updates since the 20.1 release. The release is up to date as of 6/6/2021.
  9. The Usplash2 package has 13 new wallpapers. Backgrounds can be found in /user/share/backgrounds/usplash2. The orignal Usplash is still avilable in the SbK repo for anyone who wants a wider assortment of wallpapers.

They also contain the standard SbK features.

1. A Manjaro stable install that is also AUR compatible.
  2. Multiarch by default to make running wine games and other 32bit software you may run easier.
  3. The Spins by Kilz signed repository is enabled for SbK project packages.
  4. Timeshift autosnap installed. It takes a snapshot before upgrading so any bad upgrades can be easily reversed.
  5. Bloatware has been removed (HP printer software and others).
  6. Flat packs and snaps are not installed. The back ends are also not installed but can be installed by the user.

The full and very minimal iso can be found here.

SbK is back after a break. Real life sometimes gets in the way of things you do for fun. I also needed some time away from Manjaro. Sadly this time was extended because I installed Debian testing and didnt upgrade my Manjaro partition for 6 months. Trying to update a 3 year old rolling release after a 6 month break seldom works out. So a fresh install and then getting it ready to build took a little time.

As always questions, comments and suggestions are always welcome. Just post below.

Jim

7 Likes

Thank you for your work on these builds. You have the only current LXQt .isos available, Jim.

Unfortunately, the installer simply will not launch for me from the minimal .iso, which is what I want, as I like the blank canvas approach on top of which I can load my own dotfiles (using LXQt’s packages as a sort of frame for my own WM, etc.). I have a new Thinkpad T590. Ideas?

Sorry about that. The first iso was working, I tested it. Then I had to remake the minimal iso for a minor color change to conky. I figured it was ok, but there must have been an update to python in between that messed up the installer. I have pulled the iso’s and I am working on fixing the issue.
As for Lxqt, its the desktop I use. I have very old hardware (AMD FX-4300) and I really need to build a new PC. I have been saving but some emergency always seems to deplete my savings before I buy the parts. I was almost set, and then the wheel bearings on my van started making noise and that wiped out $1200 that I had saved.

In any event I have pulled the iso’s until I get this fixed.

I have fixed the problem, the minimal is done, and I am building the full. Then I will upload them.

1 Like

The new iso’s have been uploaded. The link in the top post still works. Please let me know that you can install when you download one.

1 Like

Confirmed: Calamares, Manjaro’s regular installer, launches now in the minimal .iso. Thank you, Jim.

I actually managed to make an old official .iso run manjaro-architect and achieved a successful installation (at last), so I did not install your build for myself.

By the way, as far as I can tell, your .iso is the only up-to-date one available that still has the most recent official version of Manjaro Architect included. I did not need the SbK repository, but the fact that you include Architect opens a lot of possibilities for those of us who were disappointed by the decision to drop Architect as an official medium. In fact, if I were you, I would advertise the fact that you have the latest version of Architect in your builds as a great reason for trying them :wink:

Thanks for the input. I will add the fact that Architect is installed to the list of standard features in release notes/posts.
While you may not have the sbk repo installed, you may want to add it. almost all of the kv themes work on Lxqt exept the very early ones that dont have a Manjaro series added to the end. Lxqt themes are kind of scarce. There are also grub and lightdm themes that match. You can disregard which desktop they have in the title, they should work regardless of the desktop as long as lightdm was used. Here is a link with instructions on adding the repo if you want to. http://spinsbykilz.com/ then click on the Repository link at the top.

Hi
I have a 32-bit hp intel Celeron core to duo with 4 gigs of ram. can I Install it or it’s impossible

Looks problematic on first glance as support for 32bits got scrubbed quite a while ago.
Perhaps take a look here for possible distributions for such a system:

As mentioned before, Manjaro removed the support for 32bit hardware some time ago. The only things left are a few libraries for running 32bit applications on a 64bit machine.
But I will make a suggestion, Debian testing, its rolling release and the software is reasonably up to date. Though not as much as Arch based distros like Manjaro, they are on the bleeding edge. Debian testing also supports 32bit hardware, and its unlikely to drop it anytime soon.