SbK Gnome 20.1.1

I am very pleased to announce the release of SbK Gnome 20.1.1

This release is imho the best so far of the SbK 20.1.1 series.

This release includes

1. The 5.4.72 LTS kernel.
  2. The following Gnome shell extensions are installed:
    Dash to Dock
    Clipboard Indicator
    Dynamic Top bar
    Hide Top bar (The top bar is hiddin by default. Moving the cursor to the top edge will show it.)
    Remove dropdown arrows
    Desktop Icons ng (It is enabled. But end users wil have to manually set for launchers to be executable, or trusted. Until then they will have the generic launcher icon and will only open as a text file.)
  3. Minimize and Maximixe window controls.
  4. The New MintSpin-Y-Teal icon theme.MintSpin-Y is a more flat icon set. Teal and Green are the only colors in it but they are both new and more colors will be added over time.
  5. Both the full and minimal versions have a new dark gtk and shell theme with teal highlights. There is a matching kvantum theme if you want to run any qt apps.
  6. 10 new desktop wallpapers. One of them is the background for the grub, desktop, and login screen backgrounds.
  7. LightDM instead of GDM with lightlocker screen locking.
  8. Up to date as of 10/21/2020.
  9. Geary replaces evolution as the email app in the full version.

They also contain the standard SbK features.

1. A Manjaro stable install that is also AUR compatible.
  2. Multiarch by default to make running wine games and other 32bit software you may run easier.
  3. The Spins by Kilz signed repository is enabled for SbK project packages.
  4. Timeshift autosnap installed. It takes a snapshot before upgrading so any bad upgrades can be easily reversed.
  5. Bloatware has been removed (HP printer software and others).
  6. Flat packs and snaps are not installed. The back ends are also not installed but can be installed by the user.
  7. A basic Conky.
  8. The latest LTS Linux kernel.

A full and very minimal iso can be found here.

As always comments, suggestions, and questions are welcome.

Jim

4 Likes

I have seen you used this phrase on all your posts about your spins, and i always restrained myself to comment, but also it cut me off on testing it and giving proper feedback. Not that is important what i think …
What happens when someone needs those packages, is no longer bloatware ?
Also, your release for this particular one is like this:

• stable minimal 1.94 GB
  • stable full 2.15 GB

Manjaro has now:

• stable minimal 1.82 GB
  • stable full 2.59 GB

So, what bloatware you added to the minimal, and since none of the full versions fit on a 2GB USB, what is the real benefit/achievement here?
Cheers!

1 Like

Hp printer software, steam, flatpack and snap backends. As well as lots of graphics drivers you will never use are removed. These packages are still in the manjaro repositories and can be installed if the end user needs them, or in the case of video drivers with the manjaro settings manager.
Im not sure why the minimal iso is slightly larger (120 mb). But its likely because of the themes and wallpapers I add in addition to the ones that are normally in a minimal manjaro install. I also add some development tools that the AUR uses.

I forgot to add that part of that small difference in the minimal iso may be the gnome extensions that are already installed and activated.
I try and make the minimal iso as small as I can. I am not sure what I can take out, if anything, that will make a Gnome minimal install fit on a 2gb usb drive. While it is minimal it needs some things to be functional.
What I can offer, to be as open and upfront with whats included are the package lists that are automatically generated when the iso is created by manjaro-tools. They list all the packages in the iso. If you see something you think should not be included please let me know and I will consider removing it.

1 Like

Is all fine :slight_smile: Don’t get me wrong. The only derogatory word that triggered me was bloatware. Indeed anyone can install/reinstall/remove software, but that doesn’t make it anything else than what is supposed to be.

Thanks. You have given me some good information. I am looking into how I can make the minimal iso’s smaller.