Running Manjaro on Pine64-LTS

I recently just got a Pine A64+ LTS board along with the playbox enclosure and the relevant accessories. Knowing that the Pinebook was very similar to the A64+ LTS, I decided to try running the Pinebook variant of Manjaro on it. However, when I flash the image to the emmc, Manjaro works...sort of. By contrast, it doesn't work at all when I flash it to an SD card. Manjaro begins booting, but when it gets to the Plymouth no flicker screen it just hangs there doing the Windows 10 circling thing over and over again. It would be nice if that circle thing weren't there because before I could read the startup logs. But anyway is there any thing that I may need to do to the image before I flash it to the emmc? I'd also like to note that Armbian and arch have similar hangs as well, but for different reasons. Am I flashing the image wrong? I am using etcher, and I made sure to format the drive with a partition as EXT4 before flashing the image.

While the hardware is similar, it is not the same. So the images needed is not the same either.

You can make an SD card for the Pine64 board with the Manjaro ARM Installer, which can be found in the Manjaro repository.

Also, when the bootsplash appears, let it run for 15 seconds. If it still does not show the login prompt or OEM setup, press ESC to show it.

Thanks for that. Also, I am using the LTS version of the board and not the regular A64+. When I boot, uboot also says something about the pinebook in it. I do think this image could work because of this fact. The Pine A64 images won't work on the Pine A64 LTS (we have to use the Sopine images), and at first I tried flashing one of them and the board didn't respond at all. Moreover, pressing the escape key tells me that the problem is the same as Arch. When trying to start Udev, it cannot and outputs a data read error on the screen that reads like this:
sunxi-mmc: 1c11000.mmc: data error, sending stop command
sunxi-mmc: 1c11000.mmc: send stop command failed
I also just installed the Manjaro on arm installer on my ThinkPad, but I do think that the pinebook images will work on the A64 LTS: Arch linux build outputs the same error.

The reason for that is that it's actually the same package that gets installed. But the package contains 3 different uboots.
One for Pinebook, one for sopine and one for pine64+. If you have an LTS board, you need to use the Sopine option in the installer.

This sounds like the issue I have with eMMC boot on the Pine64-LTS. Try with SD card. I think this is an issue in general for the sopine uboot.
It also happened in my PinePhone and PineTab tests (which also use the sopine uboot).

Wait, where do I find the Sopine Manjaro image?
I only see the Pinebook option on the Manjaro downloads page. Is in on the manjaro-arm-installer script? Were can I find information and a manual on this? A quick DuckDuckgo search didn't turn up what I was looking for (given my particular query) and I cannot find anything about the script on the Manjaro Wiki. Thanks so much for your help by the way.

Wait nevermind. I found the gitlab link in Pamac.

Figured it out. Just ran the command in my terminal like so:
sudo manjaro-arm-installer
The rest was kinda straight forward. This is a really cool script. Also, do you know if the Pine64 LCD works on this version of Manjaro? So far the screen has yet to work, but neither has the OSes...

Update: Board doesn't respond to inserted 128Gb sd card with Manjaro KDE edition installed. (Going for KDE because of the potential with Plasma Mobile. I would prefer Gnome, but there isn't an arm edition for that.)

Update #2: The board does respond as the SoC gets hot. It just doesn't output video via HDMI or the LCD touchscreen. Could possibly be the abnormally large sd card, but I don't have a 64G or even 32G SD card. All my others are 16G. Wow. I am weird.

Well, The Pine64 profile should have working HDMI output to a monitor. It's what I have used to test with, but I will have to test again when I get back home to see if it "still" works.

If you decide to switch to Gnome after getting your image booted, I'm interested to know how well it fares on that hardware. I've been wanting to try it out myself on my Pinebook, but things come up and get in the way.

@Strit out of curiosity, I plugged it up without an SD card in it and the SoC still got warm, so it may just be that it doesn't work at all with an SD card.

It always boots for me with an SD card (that has a uboot on it).

You put uboot on the sd card?

If I want to boot from the SD card, yes. The Pine64 has no built in uboot from the factory.
But if you install a Manjaro ARM, it should contain the uboot.

I'll look into it more then. Could I be installing it wrong? I am using the manjaro-arm-installer script from my commandline so it seems pretty straightforward. Also, I do format the USB stick before doing so.

USB stick?

We only support booting from SD and eMMC.

I meant SD. Sorry. I do not know where that came from.

I reran the script for my SD Card and this time I noticed some errors. I do not know if they were there before:

Correcting permissions from overlay...
  -> Doing device specific setups for sopine...
sed: can't read /var/tmp/manjaro-arm-installer/root/etc/mkinitcpio.conf: No such file or directory
  -> Cleaning install for unwanted files...
==> sopine minimal install complete
==> Writing bootloader and cleaning up after install...
==> Time : 6.25 minutes...

There was also some pacman errors (or what appeared to be pacman).

Sounds like it did not install any packages, since mkinitcpio should be a dependencvy of the kernel.

You said there was previous errors from pacman. Can you post them?

Forum kindly sponsored by