Root partition not recognized after update to kernel 5.18

will to that today at some point and post when I can! it is a bit of a full day today! keep the ideas coming!

Same here. :stuck_out_tongue: First things first, do that command from yesterday, and edit parameters in grub. And ignore that initramfs editing, I was…well I wasn’t thinking. .P

Sorry for the delay but I couldn’t make more tests until today. Here is the output of the command you suggested:

# diff <(lsinitcpio -a /boot/initramfs-5.18-x86_64.img) <(lsinitcpio -a /boot/initramfs-5.17-x86_64.img)
1c1
< ==> Image: /boot/initramfs-5.18-x86_64.img 
---
> ==> Image: /boot/initramfs-5.17-x86_64.img 
3,4c3,4
< ==> Kernel: 5.18.5-1-MANJARO
< ==> Size: 8.66 MiB
---
> ==> Kernel: 5.17.15-1-MANJARO
> ==> Size: 8.42 MiB
6,7c6,7
<   -> Uncompressed size: 22.62 MiB (.383 ratio)
<   -> Estimated decompression time: 0.120s
---
>   -> Uncompressed size: 21.71 MiB (.387 ratio)
>   -> Estimated decompression time: 0.117s
10,13c10,13
<   cdrom                                 crc-itu-t                       irqbypass                       mmc_core                        uas                             vfio_iommu_type1 [explicit]     virtio_blk
<   crc16                                 ext4                            jbd2                            nvme-core                       usbhid                          vfio-pci-core                   xhci-pci
<   crc32c_generic                firewire-core                   mbcache                         nvme [explicit]                 usb-storage                     vfio-pci [explicit]             xhci-pci-renesas
<   crc32c-intel                          firewire-sbp2                   mmc_block                       sr_mod                          vfio [explicit]                 vfio_virqfd [explicit]
---
>   cdrom                                 crc-itu-t                       irqbypass                       mmc_core                        usb-storage                     vfio-pci [explicit]             xhci-pci-renesas
>   crc16                                 ext4                            jbd2                            sr_mod                          vfio [explicit]                 vfio_virqfd [explicit]
>   crc32c_generic                firewire-core                   mbcache                         uas                             vfio_iommu_type1 [explicit]     virtio_blk
>   crc32c-intel                          firewire-sbp2                   mmc_block                       usbhid                          vfio-pci-core                   xhci-pci

I am trying with the iommu and the rest turned off now and report back.

Success! I have tried to boot 5.18 without the extra commands like you suggested and it worked! Then I added them one by one and figured out that one with the problem is: vfio_pci.ids=1002:67df,1002:aaf0,2646:2263. I don’t know why that is but without this works!

That command is supposed to stop the system from loading the drivers for that particular video card which is passed through to the qemu VM.

In any case the main problem is solved now! I should have tried your suggestion from the beginning! Thank you for your patience!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.