Recent update breaks a lot of stuff

I did a fresh install with a Manjaro Gnome 6.5 kernel iso, tried Kdenlive appimage, and it worked.

Then I did an update without touching the GPU stuff, and I was back in the same predicament. That cuts out a lot of user-induced problems.

I can’t remember if I tried the package manager and AUR route at the time. I assume I did not, which I find unfortunate now.

The installation process didn’t go smooth as described in this comment I made today.

Regardless, remember, Kdenlive worked after plowing through the installation. Only after updating, it stopped working.

I’ve done all I can do to give clues to what could be going on. I certainly don’t know.

This is an old laptop but it works fine. 2.7 GHz quad core does the job without me having to wait all day. Sure, a newer laptop would be nice, but that’s for later.

@wongs No, it means I did not open Manjaro Settings and execute an Auto-install proprietary drivers.

@wtechgo you can get today’s build of stable branch ISO and just install kdelive in the live-session to check if everything works with the latest package updates. This way you don’t change your internal installation at all: Release 202312100136 · manjaro/release-review · GitHub

This user might have a similar issue: All versions of Kdenlive crash on startup
You can also switch to testing to get the latest kdelive version.

That user is also this user, with an alternate account.

You hadn’t mentioned it was a laptop; I imagine that only compounds the complication. Is this laptop also the Windows multiboot system you mentioned? I took it to mean you had a separate multiboot system.

Does that mean it was not a full update of ALL updatable packages?

It’s a laptop with Intel-Nvidia hybrid, meaning an Intel GPU and a dedicated Nvidia GPU, hence Bumblebee390.

It’s a multiboot install on an SSD of 512GB with two partitions, one for Windows (first) and one for Linux, as recommended and executed by Manjaro iso install process, a long time ago.

It seems Nvidia 545 driver has a lot of regressions with hybrid cards. So it is recommended to stay on 535 series we don’t support anymore …

That’s a good idea, I’ll give it a go.

Fyi, the KDE zip throws an error when I try to extract it with archive manager. Other zips work fine.

Nvidia 545 doesn’t support my GT 740m card, only 390 supports it I think.

Are you sure? Nvidia 535 doesn’t seem to specifically list the GT 740m as being supported. These driver versions seem to be the latest supporting the GeForce GT 740M (Notebooks):

The zip file is likely damaged. Download it again. Actually, use torrent, if you can (if it’s available); it’s generally more reliable.

New for me, but it seems we have to do this hat trick.

cat manjaro-kde-23.1-231210-linux66.iso.z01 manjaro-kde-23.1-231210-linux66.iso.zip > manjaro66.zip
unzip manjaro66.zip

Multipart zips; :man_facepalming: annoying, but yes, they need to be catenated.

I did the live USB KDE thing and Kdenlive package works, appimage does not, fine package then.

I installed KDE 6.6 to disk and had to jump through all the hoops again as described in the 2nd part of this comment All versions of Kdenlive crash on startup - #5 by progonkpa

Noteworthy, my password did not authenticate which I worked around by resetting it as root in live USB env.

Once booted from disk, system time was 1 hour in the future, fixed that.

Then, I ran update and got the arch-keyring error, no permission to write to file or can’t find file, it says.

Now I have commands to work around that too, but last time I did that, I ended up stranded.

I’m running memtest86 atm and will continue with the arch-keyring commands when that finished successfully, like resetthe keyring and do an init of the keyring.

However, when things don’t go smooth from the get-go, it’s often bad news.

If somebody has some inputs on the situation, shoot.

Yeah.

What “second part”.
Give us the exact commands you use.

What password? User password? Sudo password? Root password?

Ok… Logs???

Then don’t do that. Clearly those “commands” are incorrect but we have no idea what commands and why they fail.

I agree, but without us knowing EXACTLY what procedures you use to do things, there is not much for us to do.

2 Likes

What second part?

I posted the link to the comment that contains this information, it’s under chapter ‘Installation process’. You couldn’t be bothered to click a link?

These commands.

# Error: The bootloader could not be installed. The installation command <pre>grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Manjaro --force</pre> returned error code 1.

manjaro-chroot -a

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

# Installing for x86_64-efi platform. Could not delete variable: Invalid argument grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: Block device required

sudo modprobe efivarfs
sudo mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

What password?

Both the created user with administrator rights and root.

I booted again from live USB, did the commands below, and that fixed it.

passwd <user>
passwd
update-grub

Arch-keyring error.

Nevermind.
I suppose it’s me who expects everything to work out of the box when doing a fresh install. I did the following and things are fine.

sudo pacman-key --init
sudo pacman-key --populate
sudo pacman-mirrors -c Global
sudo pacman -Syyu

Kdenlive works now and I think I’m going to like KDE more than Gnome.

I only need to re-install and reconfigure everything…
That’s my fault though, because I didn’t back up my home directory with all the config files. Big mistake.

I wonder how future updates will be.

At any rate, I hope this was informative.

It most likely does, but the second you start to do strange things like:

And then install, you are no longer in a “fresh install” state.

Ehm, in this case I actually HOPE you were in chroot or yeah, trying to change the password for the user on the usb stick is no good.

Finding out the REASON it happens would be very important thugh, because that to me is a big warning signal that something is VERY wrong.
If I suddenly lost access to my system I would want to know EXACTLY why.

It seems that everything boils down to you doing strange things, and when the user does strange things, the system will react back with strange things.

And I say it again, without us knowing EXACTLY every step of how you do things, there really is nothing we can do.

If you consider you have solved the problem, please pick a post and select that as the “solution” so the thread will close.

1 Like

I want to know too exactly what is going wrong.

I don’t do manjaro-chroot -a before the installation (in live USB env). I do it after the installation ran an threw this error at the end, after it has written the whole OS to disk, but failed to write GRUB.

Error: The bootloader could not be installed. The installation command <pre>grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Manjaro --force</pre> returned error code 1.

The only thing I haven’t mentioned is, that during the Live USB session to re-install Manjaro , I chose ‘replace partition’.

From the command manjaro-chroot -a and onwards, I barely know what I’m doing. For all I know, GRUB wasn’t built or configured correctly. I don’t know why and I don’t know much about GRUB, /boot/efi etc.

I don’t think I do crazy things in general on my system. Only now when I’m trying to navigate my way out of this situation where I cannot continue working. From my perspective, Kdenlive just stopped working for no clear reason.

I create truthful audiovisual content, hence controversial these days… There definitely are people that don’t like what I’m doing, but my conscience is clear. I wonder if these issues could have been caused by an attack.

I’m not very advanced in Linux. I’ve only been using Manjaro as my daily driver for two years, without Nvidia drivers but still better than Winblowz.

There we go, THAT is the issue, but you have to my knowledge not communicated that very clear. It means you are NOT on a fresh install, you are on a BROKEN install.

If you had provided logs like people requested very early in this thread, it would probably have been solved long ago.

To me that error indicates you have something not correctly set in bios.
Make sure:

• update your bios firmware if available
  • Efi is enabled
  • Fast boot is disabled
  • Secure boot is disabled.

Then reinstall.

I can not advice how to install since you, again, have not provided information more than “I choose replace partition”. We have NO IDEA, how many partitions you have, how many disks, other operating systems, what filesystem you choose etc etc etc.

1 Like

Actually, I have shared the partition and disk information in a screenshot if you scroll up a bit or click here.

I will double check these point.

update your bios firmware if available
Efi is enabled
Fast boot is disabled
Secure boot is disabled.

No, that is a completely worthless picture that I am surprised the mods even let remain, I do NOT see an overlay with ALL PARTITIONS on ALL DISKS.

This has apparently not been posted in the thread yet.

Well, you’re right about that :smiley:

fdisk -l does point out an issue.
Partition 5 does not start on physical sector boundary.
That’s the Manjaro partition.

sudo fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 476,94 GiB, 512110190592 bytes, 1000215216 sectors
Disk model: KINGSTON SKC600M
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 744054E6-49FE-4B8C-8FE1-DFBA466EB7A3

Device         Start        End   Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sda1       2048     923647    921600   450M Windows recovery environment
/dev/sda2     923648    1126399    202752    99M EFI System
/dev/sda3    1126400    1159167     32768    16M Microsoft reserved
/dev/sda4    1159168  536063638 534904471 255,1G Microsoft basic data
/dev/sda5  536063639 1000215182 464151544 221,3G Linux filesystem

Partition 5 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Disk /dev/sdb: 1,82 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
Disk model: Samsung SSD 870 
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 79AB36E9-9B27-40FF-BE07-06D9107F439F

Device          Start        End    Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdb1          34      32767      32734   16M Microsoft reserved
/dev/sdb2       32768 3700180991 3700148224  1,7T Microsoft basic data
/dev/sdb3  3700180992 3907028991  206848000 98,6G Linux filesystem

Disk /dev/sdc: 57,3 GiB, 61530439680 bytes, 120176640 sectors
Disk model:  SanDisk 3.2Gen1
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device     Boot   Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdc1  *         64 6876987 6876924  3,3G  0 Empty
/dev/sdc2       6876988 6885179    8192    4M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

/dev/sdc is the Manjaro Live USB.

Just by finally showing that I can identify that you use the windows boot partition to try to install grub, that might be the issue.

I do not know if it is sda5 or sdb3 that you want to be your root.

If you are asking for help?
I would prefer a lsblk -o name,fstype,size,label and a description of what you think the different partitions are and what you want to achieve.

I also want you to confirm you have checked for bios updates, issued them if they existed and then configured bios as I instructed here
Without that, everything is pointless.