All versions of Kdenlive crash on startup

Kdenlive won’t start up anymore, even after timeshift’ing back and trying older versions of Kdenlive.

I already communicated the issue in Kdenlive Telegram, but not much response there as of yet. Oddly, there aren’t many reports of issues to my knowing which makes me think it’s and individual issue.

I’m on fully updated Manjaro Gnome Wayland and run Kdenlive from an appimage, though from package manager and AUR yields the same issue.

When I run the appimage, this is the output.

/data/Users/krist/Downloads/kdenlive-23.08.3-x86_64-A.AppImage                                          
Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
Loaded icon theme: "breeze"
Loaded icon theme: "breeze-dark"
Starting render server
profilePath from $MLT_PROFILES_PATH:  "/tmp/.mount_kdenliceo71O/usr/share/mlt-7/profiles/"
meltPath from KdenliveSetting::meltPath:  "/tmp/.mount_kdenliceo71O/usr/bin/melt"
Empty metadata for  "glsl.manager"
Empty metadata for  "telecide"
plugin not available: "avfilter.acompressor"
plugin not available: "avfilter.aecho"
kf.config.core: "KConfigIni: In file /home/freetalk/.local/share/applications/electrum.desktop, line 21: " "Invalid escape sequence \"\\\"\"."
kf.config.core: "KConfigIni: In file /home/freetalk/.local/share/applications/electrum.desktop, line 21: " "Invalid escape sequence \"\\\"\"."
kf.config.core: "KConfigIni: In file /home/freetalk/.local/share/applications/appimagekit_e1814ce1eb16b1c8d287ac96c321a9c-Electrum_Bitcoin_Wallet.desktop, line 32: " "Invalid escape sequence \"\\$\"."
kf.config.core: "KConfigIni: In file /home/freetalk/.local/share/applications/appimagekit_e1814ce1eb16b1c8d287ac96c321a9c-Electrum_Bitcoin_Wallet.desktop, line 32: " "Invalid escape sequence \"\\$\"."

After that, there’s no new output, the fan starts spinning hard and eventually the system locks up and freezes, with a hard reboot remaining the only option.

I deleted all cache to the best of my capabilities to no avail.

rm ~/.config/kdenlive-layoutsrc 
rm -rf ~/.cache/kdenlive
rm -rf ~/.config/session/kdenlive_*
rm ~/.config/kdenlive-appimagerc
rm -rf ~/.kdenlive/
rm -rf ~/.local/share/kdenlive/profiles/*

and eventually

find ~ -iname "*kdenlive*" 2>/dev/null -exec rm -rf {} \;
find / -iname "*kdenlive*" 2>/dev/null -exec rm -rf {} \;

Does anybody have an idea what is going on here?

If Timeshift (rollback your system “/” ) does not help, this indicates that the problem does not lie within “/”, but instead within “/home” !

You could try some of the following:

• Try to start the program in a terminal (to get more error-messages) ?
  • Try to create another new user to test the program as this user ?
  • Try to reset the configfiles in your users home for kdenlive ? :ok_hand:
    :footprints:

Hopefully this has nothing to do with kdenlive ??? :see_no_evil:

Electrum_Bitcoin_Wallet.desktop

Great advice.
I tried all of these things already.
The new user path I really expected to work, though it didn’t.

The output I posted is from running the appimage in terminal.

Kdenlive suggests resetting config which I’ve done before too.
It then removes appimagerc and fails just like before.

I wonder if the GPU can have anything to do with it.
I have an integrated intel-NVidia GPU GT740m,
which I never got to work, so Kdenlive has always worked on CPU power only.

If now Kdenlive or dependencies expect the integrated GPU to work correctly (which it doesn’t), it makes sense it trips up. I’m guessing here though.

kdenlive-appImage is currently broken on Arch based systems. Turns out Kdenlive’s Appimage is not a true appimage, in the sense that it contains all of the system files needed in the Appimage, it is essentially the kdenlive binaries and it still relies on the host system libs.

1 Like

The main problem was that Kdenlive stopped working.

I started in Kdenlive support and as the investigation progressed, the eyes are turning to Manjaro. I hope someone can shine some light on what is going wrong.

Kdenlive won’t start up anymore, even after timeshift’ing back and trying older versions of Kdenlive.

I’m on an updated Manjaro Gnome Wayland, dual boot, bumblebee Intel-NVidia 390xx hybrid, though nvidia module not found. I run Kdenlive from an appimage, which has always worked until now.

Installing though the package manager and from AUR, don’t work either. Even with a new user, Kdenlive did not start, and Kate also doesn’t start if that is a clue.

When I run the appimage, this is the output.

/data/Users/krist/Downloads/kdenlive-23.08.3-x86_64-A.AppImage                                          
Loaded icon theme: "breeze"
Loaded icon theme: "breeze-dark"
Starting render server
profilePath from $MLT_PROFILES_PATH:  "/tmp/.mount_kdenliceo71O/usr/share/mlt-7/profiles/"
meltPath from KdenliveSetting::meltPath:  "/tmp/.mount_kdenliceo71O/usr/bin/melt"
Empty metadata for  "glsl.manager"
Empty metadata for  "telecide"
plugin not available: "avfilter.acompressor"
plugin not available: "avfilter.aecho"

After that, there’s no new output, the fan starts spinning hard and eventually the system locks up and freezes, with a hard reboot remaining the only option.

Note, the electrum_xxx.desktop entries are not relevant. I moved the entries away from their locations, that error went away, and Kdenlive startup still failed.

This line could have significance, as on my system the GPU setup is Intel-Nvidia hybrid which I never got to work properly, meaning, Nvidia dedicated GPU is never used.

Empty metadata for "glsl.manager"

I deleted all cache like so.

rm ~/.config/kdenlive-layoutsrc
rm ~/.config/kdenlive-appimagerc
rm -rf ~/.cache/kdenlive
rm -rf ~/.config/session/kdenlive_*
rm -rf ~/.kdenlive/
rm -rf ~/.local/share/kdenlive/profiles/*
rm -rf ~/.var/app/org.kde.kdenlive/cache/

echo "and eventually:"

find / -iname "*kdenlive*" 2>/dev/null -exec rm -rf {} \;

On Live USB Manjaro and on a new install (manjaro-gnome-23.0.4-231015-linux65), Kdenlive worked, however once fully updated, I got the same issue. This is crazy.

The installation and update process didn’t go smooth either.

Install process

I only kept the commands, not the actual post I used to solve the issue, however, this post looks very similar.

# Error: The bootloader could not be installed. The installation command <pre>grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Manjaro --force</pre> returned error code 1.

manjaro-chroot -a

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

# Installing for x86_64-efi platform. Could not delete variable: Invalid argument grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: Block device required

sudo modprobe efivarfs
sudo mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

The multiboot startup process at this point didn’t work, but via boot override selection (by tapping F7 at startup), I could select Manjaro and continue booting.

When I logged in, my password was rejected. The same simple password I always use. Let’s assume human error which it most likely was not, whatever. I reinstalled with auto-login.

Update process

Then, once in Manjaro, pacman update was not able to do its job. I found and applied the following post and commands.

Corrupted packages/invalid keyrings during update - Support - Manjaro Linux Forum

sudo rm -rf /etc/pacman.d/gnupg
sudo rm -R /root/.gnupg/
sudo pacman-key --init
sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux manjaro
sudo pacman -Sy gnupg archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring
sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys
sudo pacman -Sc
sudo pacman -Syyu

System updates completed.
Kdenlive doesn’t start.

If you have installed the kdenlive version from the repos, could you please launch kdenlive from a terminal and post the output in this topic?

I just noticed that the output you provided in an earlier post was from running the appimage which, as stated earlier, no longer works on Arch-based systems. Hopefully any error messages that appear in the terminal when you run the repo version will provide enough information to resolve the issue.