Raspberry Pi Kernels (2.0)

Yes for my TV but not for some imaginary Samsung display I don’t have and can’t use

So I switched to the other HDMI port and now I have only thecsamsung 7inch but it still won’t let me switch it to 12hz despite tvservice -s saying its pushing 129 hz and cat /proc/cmdline showingvitvat 120 hz

I have told you over and over do not pay attention to that label. The system is using it because it is the one it believes to use. Maybe in the future the firmware will be in linux-firmware that matches you tv for that mode. Until then if it is working do not fix it.

1 Like

OK ty for your help

The display manger is stuck at 60 hz no matter. It works at 60. I’m just tinkering. Ty!

Some times a bad quality hdmi cable can cause issues.

1 Like

The latest linux-rpi4 and it’s 2 matching raspberrypi-bootloader packages have been pushed to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync.

linux-rpi4 5.10.75-1
linux-rpi4-headers 5.10.75-1
raspberrypi-bootloader 20211025-1
raspberrypi-bootloader-x 20211025-1
1 Like

I got 1440x900 at 75hz with an aspect ratio of 16:10

1280x1024 75 hz 5:4

Do all the old kernel get downgraded to major?

Not sure what you are asking. All old kernels go away in the repo. If you do not remove your local cache then they will stay there.

1 Like

The latest linux-rpi4-rc kernel packages has been pushed to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync.

linux-rpi4-rc 5.15.rc7-1
linux-rpi4-rc headers-5.15.rc7-1

Upgraded linux-rpi4 kernel with support for the new Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W device just released has been pushed to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync. They pushed the support for all of our kernels but saving some time of having to recompile all of the kernels as they are subject to be upgraded anytime. I just wanted to at least have support for the new device now in a kernel.

When some gets one please report your impressions of it here.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/new-raspberry-pi-zero-2-w-2/

linux-rpi4 5.10.75-2
linux-rpi4 headers-5.10.75-2
1 Like

I’ve ordered one. Now I got to wait…

Progress has been made with kms and plasma on wayland. youtube videos still hang the desktop for me with firefox (I did not test with chromium). Moving the mouse pointer over compositor effects, now just adds some blinking effect, but no longer does it hang the desktop. And I do not see the flip_done timeout type errors in dmesg.

Again please let us know how things are after testing.

Looking at the specs it would appear that it would be best suited for some sort of minimal image install derivative instead of a DE as @Strit brought up in IRC. It seems to have a pi3 chip but they default the cpu speed to 1GHz instead of 1.2GHz and 1/2 the RAM. I guess it could be overclock but will need a proper heat sink. This is a little troubling as the test pads identity will have to be chased down: “The test pads are not in the same position (except by happenstance).”

ADDED:

All they did in the kernel was add code for the creation of bcm2710-rpi-zero-2.dtb in the kernel source so you should be able to just copy that file over to the other kernels in /boot/ from the latest 5.10.76 (soon to be if testing it is ok) and test also.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/commit/84dc624be6ae704fdb3c413b7d86315cf49fbb0b

2 Likes

Thanks for working on this! I’ll probably get one soon (or at least pre-order it soon.)

Would a minimal Sway version be a good fit? Or does it need to be more minimal than even that, would you say? I realize testing may be required to answer that question more definitively but, best guesstimate?

I am not planning on getting one but from past experiences with the pi’s using 512K RAM with a DE worked some what but using a web browser is to the point of being unthinkable. So much with my turn key images I provide for a satellite forum with devices that had 512K RAM I did not provide any web browser but all they care about is tuning and streaming/playing satellite/terrestrial streams.

Also note that the linux-rpi kernel has now been bumped to 5.10.76 and I am in the process of compiling and packaging it to test along with it’s 2 matching raspberrypi-bootloader packages and will post here when done so use it when testing if it is still around when you get your new play toy.

Oh wow, that’s awesome!

Okay, I’ll keep an eye out for that.

The latest linux-rpi4 5.10.76 kernel will have to wait for a few days. They have basically broke kms/v3d rendering. I created an issue and now waiting for what they decide to do so I know which direction to go with the kernel.

Short version is they knew this was going to happen when they made the change but it appears at the time there was not much sympathy when the collateral damage hit. Two comments when discussing the change:

“It is a hardware limitation, so it’s the choice of either blanking, or not supporting the gamma controls.”
“Ok. Then I’d rather have support and let the user choose (and deal with the consequences :-)).”

Now since I created the issue it seems they are on the fence about reverting it which sorta turns my stomach since they are more about what they normally do with their images; they use fkms. Hopefully they will figure something out to get this fixed.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/4660

Great ! Thanks for your work. Beside the device tree files they also added a new firmware for the wireless chip. Firmware file is named brcmfmac43436 - it seems to be slightly different from the one which is used in the other PIs

Interesting did not know that. Actually it is named brcmfmac43436s-sdio.

https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware-nonfree/commit/bda9207acee945633464e89614f3717b856579b5

The updated wifi firmware for the pi zero w2 has been pushed to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync. I did not see any new bluetooth firmware in their repo which can mean it does not exist yet or it uses existing firmware.

https://github.com/RPi-Distro/bluez-firmware/tree/master/broadcom

firmware-raspberrypi 7-1