Raspberry Pi Kernels (2.0)

The linux-rpi-mainline has been bumped to 5.15.0-1 (5.14 is no more). These new kernel and the latest 2 raspberrypi-bootloader packages has been pushed to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync.

This kernel also has support for the new pi zero 2 W device.

linux-rpi4-mainline 5.15.0-1
linux-rpi4-mainline-headers 5.15.0-1
raspberrypi-bootloader 20211028-1
raspberrypi-bootloader-x 20211028-1
2 Likes

every boot, back to analog device but i need headphone device for audio.
ps. analog no sound.

In Pulse Audio Volume Control Set the headphones as Fallback.

Nothing wrong with Analog here.

The latest linux-rpi kernel and the 2 raspberrypi-bootloader packages has been pushed to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync.

I hope they have settled down with making changes for the new rpi zero 2w.

linux-rpi4 5.10.76-1
linux-rpi4-headers 5.10.76-1
raspberrypi-bootloader 20211102-1
raspberrypi-bootloader-x 20211102-1

The latest linux-rpi4-mainline kernel packages has been pushed to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync.

This kernel also has the latest rpi zero 2 w adjustments.

linux-rpi4-mainline 5.15.0-2
linux-rpi4-mainline headers-5.15.0-2

What was the issue ? why did you release a second one for the same version ?

Just trying to keep up with them changing things around with the new rpi zero 2 w device.

There was an issue though I found when I saw the pi zero 2 w change this mourning I compiled the kernel and noticed they had commited another commit since the last kernel I released a few posts above that caused the screen to blank they had fixed on the 5.10 kernel so I told them and they had it fixed in 8 minutes. This issue was on my end here only and not present in the repo. Scroll down near the bottom:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/4660

Concerning controls for audio devices with kms. Sound starts at 100% volume, but you have to play a sound first, then you can adjust the volume level. Not great but evidently, the way it will be.

My first thought… can a pi make a pitch like a dog whistle? Something that can not be heard and then adjust it?

The latest kernels linux-rpi4 / linux-rpi4-mainline and rpi-eeprom packages has been pushed to the testing and unstable branches.

They ran into a wifi issue concerning connecting and re-connecting and there are some secure boot improvements in “beta” with the rpi-eprom package which you would have to be using “beta” and secure boot to realize any change with the rpi-eprom package.

linux-rpi4 5.10.76-2
linux-rpi4 headers-5.10.76-2
linux-rpi4 mainline-5.15.0-3
linux-rpi4 mainline-headers-5.15.0-3
rpi-eeprom 20211027-1

PiOS move to 5.15 for test and recommend switch to kms.
but, after minutes, freeze.

Disable compositing

what does that mean, how?

Disable the window compositor in you DE’s Settings. I have no clue what DE you have. Also seems like kms is not compatible with wayland either. @0n0w1c would know.

Rpi may recommend things for their images but they do not have all of the DE’s we have.

5.15 + kms + xorg + kwin compositor is a very broken combination (won’t boot). Disable the kwin compositor, then it runs fine.

Recently, kms + wayland + plasma has improved. But Firefox + youtube will freeze the desktop. If I recall correctly, Sway ran fine with kms.

I believe picom is used as the compositor for the RPiOS desktop. If your DE allows running an alternate compositor, you might give it a try.

Edit: For the firefox + youtube, maybe it is because I did not setup Firefox for Wayland. I will try to confirm this later this evening.

but, where to set kwin compositor?

in Plasma Settings → Displays → Compositor.

1 Like

He will have to boot with fkms first so he can make the changes or freezing up will be an issue.

Maybe this will come to the aide of kms & 5.15.

Edit: This PR did get merged.

If he has access to the filesystem, he can edit ~/.config/kwinrc from:

[Compositing]
Backend=OpenGL
Enabled=true

to

[Compositing]
Backend=OpenGL
Enabled=false
1 Like

See what it does. Pushed to unstable when the mirrors sync.

linux-rpi4-mainline 5.15.0-4
linux-rpi4-mainline headers-5.15.0-4