Raspberry Pi Kernels (2.0)

Yesterday turned into a bad day for me with my electricity started going on and off about every 30 minutes. I was able to push the new kernel to the CI cloud for the packages to be built and test it but was afraid to push to the repo and have my power go off in the middle of the push. I was afraid of possible corruption some where. My computer by this time had shut off due to no elect 4 times so I shut everything down here and asked @strit to get the packages and push them. After that a thunderstorm came through so I did not turn my computer back on until this mourning.

1 Like

Guessing you have a typo with 1080o. This is what the RPi Doc says to use:

1080p 120Hz 16:9

hdmi_force_edid_3d:0=1
hdmi_mode:0=63
hdmi_group:0=1
hdmi_force_mode:0=1
hdmi_ignore_edid:0=0xa5000080

tvservice -s should say what you have after rebooting:

[ray@pi4 ~]$ tvservice -s
state 0xa [HDMI CUSTOM RGB full unknown AR], 1360x768 @ 60.00Hz, progressive

No pb. I was just asking because usually you make some announcement. Hope everything is ok.

All seems to be ok today. My lights have not been fickering which is a good sign. Fixing to start building the new 5.10.75 kernel.

1 Like

tvservice is not supported when using vc4-kms-v3d driver. Similar features arevavailable with standard linux tools such as modetest from libdrm-tests.

Modetest spits out 1080p at 60 hz as max red but my model says it does 120hz. Oh well. Just tinkering to see if it could do it or not. Thanks for the help with this little experiment.

Glad you weathered it in relative tact

cat /proc/cmdline

Oh!!

video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@120

What is 1080M? Thatā€™s not 1080p

To be fair let me boot my manjaro. I was doing this on raspbian32. Shouldnt make a diff really? But just to be sureā€¦

We must be looking at something different:
With hdmi_group=2
RPiconfig

hdmi_mode=63   1792x1344  75 Hz

and RPi-config which I linked:

##     63                                       1792x1344 75Hz

Never seen that and could not find anything on a quick search so no clue. Guess it could be a typo in their code where they meanā€™t to type p or maybe it has to do with using higher frequency?

From manjaro

Also after booting with the added lines to force 120hz, I lost my xfce ask bars and background fell to the default xfce one not the manjaro one

tvservice -s says I have 1920x1089 at 6hz

I can right click and get a terminal at least

Seems like I have seen that happen where you lose the background with monitor changes. Are you running dual monitors. If not you should be able to add back the taskbars and change the background back.

1 Like

No just the one tv

I have never used your type of tv with a high frequency but your output in paste bin shows 2 configs for HDMI-A. I wonder if it is treating it like you have 2 monitors and only displaying the second one. This would cause the scenario you described. You need to get to the Screen Settings and play around with the Settings so you have the 120hz as default and take the 60hz out of the picture if you can.

xfce-display-settings I believe is the command.

1 Like

It def shows a 7" display from Samsung that I donā€™t have. Very strange. Disabling the 7 inch display still has me at 60hz on the TV as hdmi-2

I have been getting that forever and it worked fine until the last linux-firmware updated showing my tv.

1 Like

Well I tried removing the case out of the equation but it still shows a 7 inch Samsung as hdmi1 and my TV as hdmi2. That is so wonky

Would not pay any attention to the 7 inch Samsung. I have seen that for 3 years here. The main thing is did you get it working.

But its the one that defaults to 120hz not the one Iā€™m trying to use

I guess I should knowcmy limits and be glad I managed to upgrade raspbian from buster to bullseye without causing a kernel panic and still having a working desktop.

You are really confusing. I thought 120hz is what you wanted.