Rapid Photo Downloader complaining about missing libmediainfo

Hello everyone.

This question is about a dependency being falsely reported as unsatisfied during startup of the software Rapid Photo Downloader.

I have Rapid Photo Downloader version 0.9.26-1 installed along with
libmediainfo 20.09-1 and
python-pymediainfo 5.0.3-1

My system info is as follows:

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.80.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.4.105-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics
Memory: 13,6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics

Whenever I start the software, I get the following message on the terminal:

“ERROR: pymediainfo is installed, but the library libmediainfo appears to be missing.”

There is also a warning message displayed on the UI, saying that the library libmediainfo appears to be missing, but also that this will not keep the program from running. There is also a checkbox in the message dialog to prevent similar future messages. Upon startup the programs seems to run fine - but I am stuck on why it is not able to load the library.

I have looked into similar bug reports on the developer’s site. There is one about exactly the same error message on a Fedora system, and in it there is a comment saying “Looks very much like the latest version of libmediainfo in Fedora is incompatible with its python wrapper.”. This is from 2017; the status is “Fix released”.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the software as a whole and the libraries separately - the behavior persisted.

I assume there would be something I need to do on my Manjaro system - about the python wrapper - but do not know what.

I will appreciate any help in this matter.

Kind regards,
Arifi Koseoglu

I guess you use Turkish as your system language. It happens on some programs when ran in Turkish. I think it’s about some bug that misuses our beloved lowercase ı and uppercase İ letters in Turkish. It effects some plugins in Audacity and balenaEtcher for example. Over time I learned to try running some programs with buggy behavior in English. Most of the time it fixes the problems. On terminal type LC_ALL=C program_name to run a program in English. In this case LC_ALL=C rapid-photo-downloader If you don’t want to type that every time, edit the .desktop file of the program which is in /usr/share/applications/ and change the line that starts with Exec as Exec=env LC_ALL=C "what-was-already-here-before" and then when you click the menu entry of that program it will run in English.

1 Like