Questions about when a package gets updated

Regarding the two topics below,

Regarding #1

1. The phrase, “Imported from arch”, means Arch’s core (vs AUR), correct?
  2. If a package is imported directly from Arch, why would a Manjaro user need to request an update? Wouldn’t the package be automatically updated and go through the Manjaro cycle of Unstable, Testing, Stable.

Regarding #2

1. These updates would be packages from AUR, git, sourceforge or other?

2. For example, take tzclock (pacman -Si tzclock), it is in the community repo, version 4.2, and the packager is @manjaro.

By happenstance, I saw the tzclock news, “25/feb/2022: current version is 4.3”. It is 4.3 in the AUR. Using branch-compare, it is 4.2 in Unstable, Testing, and Stable. Will Manjaro update this package in the future without any user notification?

In general

1. If the packager is neither a @arch id or @manjaro id, what does that mean for the package and future updates? I think I counted 37 different domains, including “Unknown Packager” and “Xyne” in the Manjaro sync repository.

Topics

1. Update requests for packages imported from Arch Linux

This thread is here to request updates for packages that are in the official repositories of Manjaro and that are imported directly from Arch Linux 12.

2. Update requests for packages built by Manjaro developers

This thread is here to request updates for packages that are in the official repositories of Manjaro and that are built+signed by the Manjaro team.

AUR has nothing to do with it. Is Arch linux: core, community, extra and multilib.

Some have overlay packages, some have less dependencies and can be pushed right away to stable, some might have security fixes, so, someone from the team has to trigger those updates manually so the mirrors get updated. At least that is how i understand it.

That package is maintained by @linux-aarhus … So you could ask to be updated in

Care to give exact examples? The thing is:

So, would be interesting to know either you rebuild some packages by yourself, or what exact packages you notice to have the Unknown Packager …

Yes. However, we do have some packages in the Manjaro repos that we’ve imported from the AUR. Either that or we packaged it first, then someone added it to the AUR later.

A security fix may need to be pushed to all branches.

The 4.3 update is now in the unstable branch.

All Manjaro packagers have a Manjaro email address. Not all Arch packagers do like Xyne.

One of our packagers forgot to do that awhile back, but it has been remedied since. :wink:

3 Likes

Unknown Packager

community  disable-tracker                               
community  maia-console              
community  manjaro-lxde-config       
community  manjaro-lxde-desktop-settings 
community  manjaro-lxqt-theme-arc-maia   
community  manjaro-lxqt-theme-kvflatred  
community  manjaro-openbox-config        
community  manjaro-openbox-desktop-settings  
community  manjaro-users-artwork-wallpapers  
community  norse-theme                       
multilib   lib32-kmod                        

Malformed email on Packager

extra      manjaro-artwork-extra
extra      manjaro-artwork-icons
extra      manjaro-artwork-openbox
community  le3cell-artwork-wallpapers
community  manjaro-circle-icons
extra      plymouth-theme-manjaro-very-elegant
community  asunder

Unique domains

alerque.com
archlinux.de
archlinux.org
broda.me
crerar.io
eworm.de
foutrelis.com
gmail.com
i--b.com
kge.pw
kyriasis.com
leclan.ch
manjaro.com
manjaro.org
maximbaz.com
seblu.net
sleepmap.de
vdwaa.nl
xinu.at

Obfuscating email addresses to trick web spiders is common and purposeful.

Those are all older packages. As I already mentioned…

Those are all Arch packager email address domains except for the obvious.

1 Like

I understand the reason for the email obfuscating. It is probably more historical, because on newer packages it isn’t. :slight_smile:

I think I’ll just go with if a package is out of date and isn’t in unstable, ask on the forum :-). If it is in unstable (use manjaro branch compare), just let the package go through the stages.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.