PulseEffect 5 not pipewiresrc pulseaudio - Manjaro XFCE 20.1

$ pulseeffects
** (pulseeffects:2957): ERROR **: 09:23:56.495:
unhandled exception (type std::exception) in signal handler:
what: soe: Failed to get required plugin: pipewiresrc

Is there a solution, or it’s still pending to be fixed?

1 Like

I don’t think there is nothing to fix. Pulseeffects now only works with pipeware backend instead of pulseaudio moving forward, so you have to replace pulseaudio with pipeware, or use pulseeffects-legacy with support for pulseaudio.

Pulseaudio 14.2-2 uninstalled
pipewire, pipewire-alsa, pipewire-jack, pipewire-pulse 1:0.3.20-1, libpipewire : installed
manjaro-pipewire installed

But pulseeffects 5 does not work and it seems that other people have the issue, that’s why I’m asking.

When pamac updated pulse 4 to 5, it did remove pulseaudio 14

Sorry to hear. Go back to pulse and try pulseffect-legacy till all this change settles then.

That is going to confuse some new users when it is released in stable branch

Could they not have started a new project with a more appropriate name?

@artofit maybe one of the alternative packages will work better for you on PulseAudio

1 Like

On AUR there is also pulseeffects-legacy-git which is the branch still based on PulseAudio instead of PipeWire.

@D.Dave
pulseeffects-legacy-git is what I installed and works

Shouldn’t it be raise as a bug of Manjaro XFCE 20.1?

But the legacy version is not going to be about very long
[Feature Request] Adding support to Pipewire? · Issue #397 · wwmm/pulseeffects · GitHub

A report to the package developer would be better than reporting to Manjaro - Issues · wwmm/pulseeffects · GitHub

Or direct to Pipewire if it is related to their packages. They already have one for an issue with the pulseeffects Flatpak version - We need help to get PulseEffects running on Flatpak (#667) · Issues · PipeWire / pipewire · GitLab

If a new user installs pulseeffects v5.0 the package manager will sort out the dependencies so they will be changed over to Pipewire
(and I think this answers my question about no name change)

Current users should also get the same changes, but some users are likely to choose not to replace PulseAudio if they do not know about this

Yes, I’m aware of this; here GitHub - wwmm/pulseeffects at pulseaudio-legacy is stated the following:

This is the old PulseEffects version supporting plain PulseAudio server, not Pipewire. This branch is in maintenance mode and no longer under development.

And again in the link which you posted:

Once the PipeWire branch is ready it will be moved to master and a legacy branch will be created with the current code targeting Pulseaudio. But I have no intention to work on it after moving to PipeWire. Maybe a bugfix for some issue that is really serious.

However, by searching around, PipeWire is not yet a complete replacement of PulseAudio, and maybe (this specific case is certainly related to the developer decisions) pulseaudio-legacy will exists until the day that PipeWire wil become a complete replacement.

Also maybe someone else coult fork it and continue to its development.

Who knows…

Anyway: for avoiding confusion, imho, the developer could change the name to PipeEffects

1 Like