Problems with Gimp 2.10.32 and Gimp devel 2.99.14-1 update

Hi, was trying to update via pamac, pacman and yay, and either one is working, does anyone know a way to do it? this is happening from 2 days now.

imagen

LANG=C yay -Syu                                        1 ✘  21s  
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do
:: Searching databases for updates...
:: Searching AUR for updates...
 -> Missing AUR Packages:  adwaita-maia  firefox-gnome-theme-maia  gnome-shell-extension-vertical-overview  gnome-system-log  libgweather  manjaro-dynamic-wallpaper  manjaro-firmware  manjaro-gnome-tour  tracker  tracker-miners
 -> Missing AUR Debug Packages:  ffmpeg-obs-debug
 -> Orphaned AUR Packages:  gn-m85
 -> Flagged Out Of Date AUR Packages:  flann  fspy  python-cx-freeze-qfix
:: 3 Packages to upgrade.
3  aur/cctag         1.0.1-2   -> 1.0.3-2
2  aur/ceres-solver  2.1.0-1   -> 2.1.0-2
1  aur/gimp-devel    2.99.12-2 -> 2.99.14-1
==> Packages to exclude: (eg: "1 2 3", "1-3", "^4" or repo name)
==> 
 -> Could not find all required packages:
	babl>=0.1.98 (Wanted by: gimp-devel)
	gegl>=0.4.40 (Wanted by: gimp-devel)

babl>=0.1.98
gegl>=0.4.40

These package versions have not reached the stable branch yet.

https://packages.manjaro.org/?query=^(babl|gegl)%24

Just wait, or switch the branch and update.

1 Like

Run these two commands to build them from git
git clone GNOME / babl · GitLab
git@ssh.gitlab.gnome.org:GNOME/gegl.git

1 Like

Never ever install anything from source, if it already exists in the repos and/or AUR. I bet you don’t want to create dependency hell.

1 Like

Oh ok, i’m a linux beginner so I’ll better wait, thanks for the advice, hope it can be done soon cause i want to play with the new stuff from gimp, thanks comrads @stasadev @tnaser4 :smiley:

PS: @stasadev , how did you do to find those packages in the search? can’t find how to make a search for both at the same time :confused: thanks.

1 Like

I used this regex ^(babl|gegl)$

1 Like

It’s not in the repo which is why you have to install it by source.

You don’t need to uninstall it, you can just unpack new version, build it and install to the same place.

But in case you still need to uninstall it, you can run make uninstall (if folder with source code is still available) or just remove folder with git (run which git, it will show you installation folder, eg. /use/local/bin or ~/bin/).

Both packages ARE in the repo. And linux distributions have a package manager for a reason.

1 Like

Remove those packages. They no longer exist.

I’ve tried via pamac and this appeared:
imagen

Also in pacman using yay:

LANG=C sudo yay -R gegl                                        1 ✘ 
[sudo] password for solidcapo: 
 -> Avoid running yay as root/sudo.
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing gegl breaks dependency 'gegl>=0.4.38' required by gimp-devel
:: removing gegl breaks dependency 'gegl' required by libmypaint
 -> exit status 1
LANG=C sudo yay -R babl                                      INT ✘ 
 -> Avoid running yay as root/sudo.
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing babl breaks dependency 'babl' required by gegl
:: removing babl breaks dependency 'babl>=0.1.78' required by gimp-devel
:: removing babl breaks dependency 'babl' required by libmypaint
 -> exit status 1

DO NOT use sudo with any AUR helper including yay and pamac.

Why are you trying to remove gimp’s dependencies? If you want to install gimp instead of gimp-devel, just do so. You’ll be prompted to remove the latter in the process.

Ooops…still learning, glad I didn’t crash my computer

I thought with that I would be removing the packages as you suggested because they no longer exists, but in fact i’ve both versions of Gimp, the normal 2.10… and also de 2.99… dev…cause i’m using both, so i’d like to keep them, but be able to update them (hope i’ve made myself understandable)
So, should i run: yay -R gegl and then yay -R bable?

You should start reading things carefully if you don’t want to, as you say, crash your computer. Read his whole comment again. He never suggested to remove those two packages.

Oohhh…sorry, i’m also still understanding how this forum works…now i see that there were some highlighted part in the quote, and was not referring to all of it (i asumed that, and was why i wanted to delete thos packages…), so, i’ll delete only these packages without using sudo:

Missing AUR Packages:  adwaita-maia  firefox-gnome-theme-maia  gnome-shell-extension-vertical-overview  gnome-system-log  libgweather  manjaro-dynamic-wallpaper  manjaro-firmware  manjaro-gnome-tour  tracker  tracker-miners

And will keep waiting for gegl and babl to be updated.

Thanks.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Some windows are in light mode and others in dark mode,

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.