The described problem appeared not so long ago. After installing the 5.9 kernel, I noticed that sometimes the system doesn’t boot and the boot process freezes on the splash screen.
Sequence of actions:
- turn on the laptop
- when loading, select the kernel 5.9
- I see lines of text appear on the black screen
- a password entry window appears
- I enter my password and press Enter
- again I see lines of text appear on the black screen
- the login and password window appears AGAIN
- I enter the password AGAIN and press Enter
- the SplashScreen appears
- the system doesn’t respond to anything else
- sometimes the mouse cursor appears, but the system also does not load further than this screen
The Ctrl+F2 key combination works and I can log in, but it doesn’t help.
If I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, a choice of actions appears - restart, turn off, and so on. But this screen with a choice of actions does not look like a normal one - it does not have a background image and the buttons are on a black background. In addition, the buttons on the screen do not respond to the keyboard and mouse.
The problem only occurs on the 5.9 kernel.
Acer Nitro 5 AN515-44
Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.75.0
Qt Version: 5.15.1
Kernel Version: 5.9.3-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 12 × AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with Radeon Graphics
Memory: 7,2 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD RENOIR