Power button no longer works after uboot-pinebookpro-bsp upgrade

Power button no longer works after these 3 “disc destroyer” commands:

# dd if=/boot/idbloader.img of=/dev/mmcblk2 seek=64 conv=notrunc,fsync
# dd if=/boot/uboot.img of=/dev/mmcblk2 seek=16384 conv=notrunc,fsync
# dd if=/boot/trust.img of=/dev/mmcblk2 seek=24576 conv=notrunc,fsync

and turning off the laptop.
I haven’t updated the /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file, because I saw the warning after this disaster :frowning:

ostrzeżenie: /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf zainstalowany jako /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf.pacnew

But I don’t think this file is the reason.
Do I need to flash Pinebook Pro somehow or just take out the eMMC module, put it in the adapter and use “disk destroyer” with older version of these *.img files?

Hard to know what is actually wrong, without UART output to go by.

Our devs tested this uboot version and had no issues, so maybe try with the next extlinux.conf file, just as a precaution.

The next extlinux.conf is outdated IMO.
This is extlinux.conf.pacnew:

LABEL Manjaro ARM
KERNEL /Image
FDT /dtbs/rockchip/rk3399-pinebook-pro.dtb
APPEND initrd=/initramfs-linux.img console=tty1 console=ttyS2,1500000 root=LABEL=ROOT rw rootwait video=eDP-1:1920x1080@60 video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60 audit=0 bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash-themes/manjaro/bootsplash

My extlinux.conf:

LABEL Manjaro ARM
KERNEL /Image
FDT /dtbs/rockchip/rk3399-pinebook-pro.dtb
APPEND initrd=/initramfs-linux.img console=tty1 console=ttyS2,1500000 root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO rw rootwait video=eDP-1:1920x1080@60 video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60 quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles

Here are sha256sums of the *.img files:

$ sha256sum uboot.img 
956122ae50fcbf0b18066ac507d2f64ba201159c74b3352bd155fe99c7177ab4  uboot.img
$ sha256sum idbloader.img 
c9918f5e5256bce7fb6f523dc4fead22163c1675271ef5ff42faeaf32e09735d  idbloader.img
$ sha256sum trust.img 
c82b6b7ea2160c7bdedcd5048b479bb5028434e0811c125fbc2b0080543a6f32  trust.img

I’ve applied these *.img files again and will try to boot. The idbloader.img is bigger than the version from 1.5.
Edit 1: Is dead, like before. I’ll try the older versions without overwriting idbloader.img area with zeros.

The 1.5 version of U-Boot do the trick and Pinebook Pro is almost fine. The battery cant decide if 0:00 is left or maybe 30:00. I’ll try to reboot.

The time left is all over the place. I’ll open up PBP tomorrow to check connectors and I’ll overwrite idbloader.img area with zeros before writing the older one, because the 1.5 version was smaller.

Can safely say, this .pacnew did not come from this uboot update. We haven’t used bootsplash on the PBP for a long time. So it must be from an earlier update to the package. We should indeed disregard that.

The updated uboot is to add support for the new batch of PBP, which uses a different RAM chip than the old one, so the vendor had to add support for this new chip in their firmware. We tested it on our old devices before making the update, to make sure it also works on the older devices, which it did. So not sure why it doesn’t on yours. :frowning:

What steps should I make to get UART output when the PBP is “dead”? I know, there is a switch audio/UART and I need to connect UART adapter through mini jack.

Here’s the wiki link that explains it:

https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Pinebook_Pro#Using_the_UART

The last line might result in no output:

Old versions of U-Boot do not use the UART for console output.
  1. What if it won’t power up?
  2. The idbloader.img is smaller (v1.5) than the previous one (v1.24). Is overwriting the larger idbloader.img area with file containing zeros and size of the larger one necessary before writing the smaller one? I’m asking because the battery show “normal” time left (and it went from 55% to 66% over night without charging :wink: ).

I’ve the output, but only for the 1.5 version, because I the power button stopped working after update to 1.24 and there is no output for the current version.

On the back of the bottom case is date “2019. 12. 6”, maybe it is a production date. I’ve replaced the keyboard, because UK layout felt weird and the US layout works better for me. Idk if the keyboard matters but the power button is built in it.
I’m not using the mainline U-Boot because there was screen issues after restart and BSP U-Boot solved it. (Problem with the LCD screen when rebooting Pinebook Pro)

What do the reset button on main board?

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.