Please port Their Birthday to aarch64

Dear friends, you are helping me a lot in migrating from Intel Debian to ARM64.
Thanks to your help I am almost completely working on Manjaro ARM64 :+1:

But in my activity there is a very important Birthday Reminder app.
Of course, there are a lot of them in Linux, I have tested them a lot, but they are all inconvenient and impractical.

Therefore, at my request, good people have created a unique reminder of Their Birthday, which is an analogue of the BIRTHDAY! millennium reminder for Windows.
Their Birthday is really the best reminder of all known!

Now I am using Their Birthday in Debian and I am very glad that now do not forget not only birthdays, but also other important events in my life :smiley:

And since I now use Manjaro aarch64, I very want to have this very useful application in here.

Friends, please port this unique best app for Manjaro aarch64!

I hope you like it too :grinning:

If it is in AUR you can use your recent acquired knowledge to mogrify the script to build on aarch64.

1 Like

I didn’t find it in AUR, but it is in Github

The editor package was intesting in terms of packaging.

The Firefox ESR was interesting in terms of - can it be done.

But birth reminder applications - I will politely decline - it has no interest neither in terms of packing nor in terms of usability.

2 Likes

Have you already appreciated the convenience of this application?
To do this, you need to create it first :smiley:

As you mentioned Debian - you would likely be able to get hold of a Debian package and that can be unpacked and converted to a PKGBUILD either by means of debtap or manually using [root tip] [How To] Install a .deb package on Manjaro as a starting point.

Another option is to create a PKGBUILD that build from source.

Just looked at the source - install qtcreator - and compile the source.

1 Like

Hi @Craft,

Excuse me if I’m being blunt here, or insensitive, it’s not my intention.

Thing is, I’ve followed your previous post, regarding Installing Medit as well.

While I understand getting accustomed to, working with and enjoying certain pieces of software, it is a big mistake to be unwilling to change and more so IMHO when using a rolling release distribution like Arch Linux, and thus Manjaro.

Much like everything in life, software comes and goes. That’s not good or bad, it’s just the way things are. What is good or bad is our adaptability to things.

What I’ve seen from you in these two requests is a complete lack of willingness to change.

The original developer of Medit decided to, of was forced to stop maintaining and/or developing Medit, and it hasn’t been picked up by someone else. So that left you with a couple of options:

1. Take up the baton, continue development and maintenance;
  2. change to something else; or
  3. modify existing things to work for you.

(There’re probably more, but that’s the few quick ones I could think of now.)

You chose number 3. Not only that you were either unwilling or unable to do it yourself.

The same with this, Their Birthday. It is not a very well-known app (at least, I couldn’t find it in the AUR or generally on the Interwebz.)

Considering that, the chances of it stopping working in the future is big. Almost guaranteed. So not changing, not adapting, and stagnating will only cause you problems and heartache in the future.

So I’d recommend you either move on and change, or you learn to do it yourself. And it isn’t an instantly acquired skill. You can do it for years and still learn something new.

That said, after some searching, I came across:

Which is in the AUR and can be installed using:

pamac build syrem

Point is, please, for your own as well as everybody else’s sake, learn to adapt.

And now, this is me, shutting my yap.
5 Likes

And, speaking of that post, the OP might like to revisit the thread to see a few viable replacements for Medit, suggested since their last visit. :postal_horn:

3 Likes

This is what we told him in this thread a month ago with firefox-esr, Sylpheed and shadowsocks-libev. This is also the reason I decided to sit this time loop of a thread out this go around.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-install-firefox-esr-v-115/150448

4 Likes

Dear friends,

Thank you for such great attention to my humble person :blush:

I will answer you later

1 Like

Friends, if I write here in my native Ukrainian, will you understand me? :smiley:
Otherwise, I will have to translate from Ukrainian to English for a long time.
I hope you already know how to use AI GPT, and he will translate the language for you.

The issue is not others understanding you; it is just the opposite–you don’t understand us. We cannot “convert” or “port” programs to another architecture. Either upstream supports it or it doesn’t. In all cases, none of the programs you have asked about do. There’s nothing we can do about it. You’re barking up the wrong tree.

2 Likes

I try to understand you as much as possible for me.
But the my question was about something else: about my texts in Ukrainian language here.

In regards to your question about posting in Ukranian, you can in our Languages section, however, I don’t know how many members here speak it. This is primarily an English speaking forum.

1 Like

Challenge accepted:

Скільки людей тут розуміють українську мову без використання перекладача? Якщо так, будь ласка, додайте емодзі. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Я розумію бездоганно :smiley:
I tried to communicate in the russian language section of Ru
Russian is similar to Ukrainian.
But, unfortunately, the guys from the russian section understand ARM architecture very little and cannot help me effectively.

The good guys created PKGBUILD for TheirBirthfay.
I tested it. TheirBirthday was assembled with a little warning:

mainwindow.cpp: In the member function «int MainWindow::getDayOfWeekOfMonth(int)»:
mainwindow.cpp:1154:1: warning: the control reaches the end of the non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
 1154 | }
      | ^

Nevertheless, TheirBirthfay works fine on aarch64.
If any of you wish, he can put PKGBUILD in AUR for mass use.

Note:
Reminder TheirBirthfay notifies you not only about birthdays, but also other events that you need - holidays and much more.

pkgname='theirbirthday-git'
_pkgname='TheirBirthday'
_basename="${pkgname%-git}"
pkgver=r45.4cda9f2
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc='Multi-day birhdays and holidays reminder'
arch=('x86_64' 'aarch64')
url="https://github.com/KloinTiinn/${_pkgname}"
license=('GPL2')
depends=('qt5-base')
makedepends=('git')
provides=("${_basename}=${pkgver}")
conflicts=("${_basename}")
source=("${pkgname}::git+${url}.git")
b2sums=('SKIP')

pkgver() {
  cd "${pkgname}"
  ( set -o pipefail
    git describe --long --abbrev=7 2>/dev/null | sed 's/\([^-]*-g\)/r\1/;s/-/./g' ||
    printf "r%s.%s" "$(git rev-list --count HEAD)" "$(git rev-parse --short=7 HEAD)"
  )
}

build(){
  cd "${pkgname}"
  DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" PREFIX="/usr" qmake-qt5 ./"${_pkgname}".pro
  make
}

package() {
  cd "${pkgname}"

install -D -m755 "${_pkgname}" "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/${_pkgname}"

install -D -m644 dates.txt "${pkgdir}/etc/skel/.local/share/TheirBirthdaySoft/TheirBirthday/dates.txt"
  install -D -m644 events.txt "${pkgdir}/etc/skel/.local/share/TheirBirthdaySoft/TheirBirthday/events.txt"

install -D -m644 "${_basename}.desktop" "${pkgdir}/usr/share/applications/${_basename}.desktop"
  install -D -m644 "img/16x16/theirbirthday_16x16.xpm" "${pkgdir}/usr/share/pixmaps/theirbirthday_16x16.xpm"

}
1 Like