Pinephone will ship with Manjaro next

The image the factory is flashing is pine64-pinephone-20201013-manjaro-stable-20201018-factory56.img.xz. It only works on 1.2a HW. sha256: 7c9ef72aba610a811800112c0f105ead6816c7820fc9e452b4c4893112493e11

What does it do

• it starts the test OS image based on PostmarketOS
  • the factory worker is testing the phone with given tests
  • in the end Manjaro OS (Factory 2020/10/18) gets flashed to the eMMC
  • the worker may test the final OS without completing the wizard

Please donā€™t attempt to try this out on Manjaro OS. You need a megousā€™ new modem power manager based kernel, which we donā€™t provide yet. With Beta1 of our Phosh image we switched to Samuelā€™s kernel on 5.9, which gives you better audio quality. On the modem side we still have the old power manager. Also Mobian doesnā€™t have this new kernel and way to handle the modem. You may only test the Pine64-Arch builds with 5.9 kernel by Megi.

well, people in the EU will be shipped from Poland. The shipment to the Poland Warehouse is on its way and expected on Monday. Then it depends on the local distribution via DHL Express EU or your selected parcel service to ship within the EU. Non-EU countries will get the shipment from HK.

1 Like

Wow didnā€™t expect it so soon , it starts to look like a very early Xmas present :christmas_tree::gift::santa:

1 Like

Canā€™t wait to receive mine and try out Lomiri :yum:

1 Like

I can confirm i got mine with postmarketOS, i ordered the 3gb ram version with usb c dock.
Mine shipped from Hong Kong to Norway.
edit: cant add image, but wanted to add i got it with the manjaro packaging. Probably an early batch.

Got my PinePhone Manjaro Community Edition with Convergence Package yesterday. I havenā€™t had a lot of time to play with it yet, but Iā€™m in the process of exploring.
Iā€™m not a Linux newb (been using Linux almost exclusively for about 20 years), but at the same time Iā€™m not in any way a Linux guru either.
My intention is to just start using it as my main phone once I get used to it. I know itā€™s ā€œNot ready for Prime Timeā€, but I figure this is the way to find all of the issues. Reports say that phone calls and text work (I wonā€™t find out for sure until I put my SIM in it) and Iā€™ve already looked at the calendar & To-Do so the necessities are covered.
My hope is that I will be able to document my experience and post things here so it will help everyone else out. If this is the right place for that please let me know, or if it should be moved to a different thread let me know that as well.

1 Like

Would be interested to read about your experience with it as a daily driverā€¦ due to some relocation efforts Iā€™ve had to skip the current Pinephone batchesā€¦

For me ATM unusable as somewhat like a daily. If the phone goes to sleep the modem also sleeps. An ingoing call sometimes wakes up the modem, sometimes not. And also if the modem wakes up, this can last up to 30 seconds. All callers give up in between and You get no notification about the missed call.

really weird issue @Skaubror. You may get yourself the following file pine64-pinephone-20201013-manjaro-stable-20201018-factory56.img.xz , check the sha256sum: 7c9ef72aba610a811800112c0f105ead6816c7820fc9e452b4c4893112493e11 and use Etcher to flash it to an SD card. Plugin the USB cord and boot it up. You will see a fancy test app, click it thru and in the end you can flash the OS to your internal eMMC. Hope that helps.

1 Like

There is an update on the pinephone forum from today

Luke writes
[04/11/2020]
There is a constant and steady shipping stream and no major issues have been encountered so far.
Shipments for Europe are expected to start Thursday - 5 November - and continue over the coming weekend. You should expect to see shipping notifications soon.
Pinephone shipping Thread

Thank you. It was not really a problem for me, but i appreciate the willingness to help!
edit: sorry for the late reply, if you want any more details or something, i am happy to try.

So does anyone know how many Manjaro PinePhones were sold now that there is a new KDE version out?

What do you mean ? I donā€™t think any company would reveal the sales count publicly.

Pine64 have been selling it back to back with different Community distro on it anyways.

Also, KDE will use Manjaro ARM as a base for their Pinephone edition too:

1 Like

I also wonder about Arch Linux ARM and why Pine does not support them. It it strange to me that Pine would give money to Manjaro ARM but not to Arch Linux ARM seeing as Manjaro ARM uses Arch Linux ARM packages.

I dont know where you come up with the idea that PINE is just throwing money at Manjaro ARMā€¦

But in any case ā€¦ if you are asking about the relationship and support ā€¦ well ā€¦ maybe its because we actually work with them. I dont know whats so odd about that.

Similarly you could have asked a while back ā€œwhy doesnt stationx donate to Arch linux? They are putting manjaro on their laptops and manjaro needs arch ā€¦ soā€¦ā€ which is a bit silly, no?
Especially when you consider scale - this isnt millions of dollars, or whether Canonical should maybe give a portion of such funding to Debian/upstream ā€¦ we are talking about a small organization developing software for some hardware ā€¦ maybe with that work it just so happens that the devices are supported. crazy.

2 Likes

Canonical employs people to work on Debian so will Manjaro employ people to work on Arch?

Because we have dozens of employees.
(more like ā€¦ 1 or 2 ?)

I guess you didnt grasp that it was supposed to be a silly comparison?

As already illuminated elsewhere - Manjaro does attempt to help upstream as much as possible where applicable.

2 Likes

There is no official Arch-ARM for the Pinephone. Danct12 is using Arch ARM as base and maintains a 3rd-party repo on his own in Vietnam to make it work.