Pinephone will ship with Manjaro next

Phosh:
For ME on O2-Germany the carrier with mobile data is not working:

• activating mobile data breaks the carrier connection and no more phone calls / SMS / mobile data possible

• deactivating mobile data enables calls and SMS

• incoming calls need 20-25 seconds to wake up the phone and establish the call. Most callers will drop in between

• plasma-mobile the call in sleep mode only brings the lockscreen and no further action is done to receive the call

• plasma mobile phone call on awaked and unlocked phone could be received but often without any sound

IMO there is a lot to be done in polishing the versions…

This is great news! (1st post here- username formerly bluwon).

Very happy to hear Manjaro is shipping on Pinephone next as it is one of my very favorite of all Pinephone operating system options I have tried. A few ppl mentioned to me specifically waiting to buy until this release of pinephone comes out.

In fact I am running Manjaro right now on my Pinephone :blush:

Congratulations. You guys have really done a great job! Thank you. :smiley:

2 Likes

This is exciting. I’ve been considering picking one up and trying to install Manjaro on it, but don’t trust my ability to make it work. Knowing that it’ll give back to the community is a bonus - I’ll almost certainly get one when preorders are up!

5 Likes

Nice ! witch desktop will it run by default ? Is it possible to update the post with a video of a recent build ?

1 Like

You can just download the Manjaro Phosh version and use it.

You can check the bands to see if it supports your network.

• LTE-FDD: B1/ B2/ B3/ B4/ B5/ B7/ B8/ B12/ B13/ B18/ B19/ B20/ B25/ B26/ B28
  • LTE-TDD: B38/ B39/ B40/ B41
  • WCDMA: B1/ B2/ B4/ B5/ B6/ B8/ B19
  • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Did you read the opening post?

Nice! I wasn’t sure if UBPorts could run on non-Ubuntu-based distros.

Thanks @realmain.

Seems like the bands are covered by the big mobile players in the UK

See :-
_ttps://kenstechtips.com/index.php/uk-network-frequency-bands

Thanks for your answer.

I think anbox will be a great inclusion, I may have to go buy one

1 Like

Nice !
But how about localization?
Is it fully localized to Swedish?

Thanks a lot.
2 questions:
1.- Will we have pinetab versions too?
2.- Will we have a delta repository or a partial delta repository as WiFi 2.4 Ghz / 4G updates are slow and Manjaro upgrades very often - what is great -? …

Or better we plug it to upgrade?

Maybe. We will have to see. :wink:

No. Packages on the Phone will update the same way they do on desktop and the SBC’s we support. So full package downloads.

Are you sure you have grasped the concept of this particular phone, together with its expensive cousin, Librem5 ?

Both phones target privacy/tracking concerns primarily, providing kill-switches to turn off cell modem, turning off (for real) the integrated wifi-chip denying the wifi-triangulation pin-pointing you, probes, man-in-the-middle attacks by hi-jacking your carrier and upgrading your Android to their Android build, and Google’s spying/tracking/profile building of 24/7, it’s not just proprietary vs. open-source software, if it would be about that you could just install Android Open Source and be done with it. So “bringing popular social network apps from Android to Linux - Instagram, Facebook, FB Messenger, Reddit,” paricularly those big privacy offenders is completely out of place, Manjaro should just cherry-pick those that are known and tested for not being spyware, or at least “not that blatant, rude spyware”.

Same goes for the camera, we are talking about this specific phone, which no, does not seriously need decent camera performance because people on the social network want to share photos for memories with family, friends, animals or events, festivals, you are talking about a completely different target group.

To give you a light, fun but of high significance example, have you ever seen Kate Middleton taking photos with her mobile phone? She’s always holding a camera in her hands, you think she was not advised by the MI6 to do so?

4 Likes

the great thing about linux is being able to choose what you want to do with it, the idea, you shouldn’t do that because it invalidates the purpose of the device goes against one of the main things that makes linux great. I dont think people who want to replace android with something open, and people who want something secure are two different groups, they both benefit from each other, I for one, will never buy a Linux phone until I can use it to do all the things I do with my android phone. simply because the money and inconvenience, and many people are the same way,

The more people on a platform, the more development and money flow, the more benefit, also even on the pinephone page it targets and I quote

or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else

no for many people what he posted are quite necessary. Security oriented people can benefit too as more people on the platform means more money (and yes money does help). they are not out of place, they are out of place for you, not for everyone. maybe linux should just can nvidia because “proprietary software has no place on an open platform” is the same thinking

You meant it to bolster your argument … but …

I’d be totally OK with this. “Play nice or get off our lawn”

And many many better penguins than I have voiced the same opinion since decades back.

Thing is … once some people started getting serious about it … nvidia started making atleast nominal moves to at least be perceived better.

Some have no brain. Some no Spine. Some no principles.
Sadly … most ‘big things’ seem to lack all three. Even in the opensource world.

I dislike nvidia as much as the next guy, but I will admit it will be a net loss to bar them completely, as the customers of them, would leave and take their money with them, which im sure would harm some people at the very least, although Im sure I could have used a better example, maybe wine for instance. but I hope my point came across nonetheless

but I do somewhat share the opinion of gating nvidia out, keeping a second gpu just for cuda is an annoyance at best, and thats just when it want’s to place nice, just I don’t want them to take their customers with them xD

Any information about the Manjaro flavors Lomiri, Phosh and Plasma Mobile?

Plasma Mobile seems to be a KDE development?
How stable and feature rich is it compared to the other options?

Hi,

You’re right, Plasma mobile is KDE, screenshots and info, see below.

https://www.plasma-mobile.org/index.html

1 Like

Hi,

i have seen that on the last “Version” of the PinePhone it said “Power by Linux” on the back, which i found really nice looking.
store.pine64 org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/pmOSCE_back.jpg

Is it possible to also add this to this version of the phone?
Could be below the “enjoy the simplicity”?!

Thanks for your great work.

1 Like

There is an Alpha3 for phosh on the download server. But only 209 MB in size. Must be an error?