PinebookPro - Manjaro KDE 20.04 - cant boot from SD card after dd Manjaro from SD to emmc

After dd my working Manjaro KDE 20.04 from SD card (mounted with an SD card reader at USB) to the emmc (by booting from a 2. SD card from card slot) the pinebook pro do not boot from SD card any more. I cant even mount SD cards from the SD card slot. Any idea how to get the card slot to work again (and then with booting SD cards first, before emmc)?
The only SD card which mount is the SD card i did the dd from - this is also the only sd card the pinebook do boot from if inserted.
Thx in advance!

Please try a newer image (like 20.08) and see if that helps.

If your uboot on the eMMC is busted, you need to empty the first 16 MB (or so) on the eMMC to get SD card booting again.

Thanks for the feedback.

installing another image is the worst case. the current installation is set up, up to date and runs good (beside the SD booting issue).

regarding the uboot issue - what are the “first 16 MB” on the emmc? do you mean the BOOT partition? and if so the whole or some specific files? (sorry, but i am a “linux dummy” to be honest, just starting to get in the linux world).
might it be a possibility and a fix to dd the boot partition from a 20.08 image to the emmc?

No. The first 16 MB of space is where the bootloader is flashed to the drive. It’s not part of any partition at all.

What you can do, is update your current installation, which should have the new uboot in it.
Then flash the uboot, as it’s mentioned in the installation file. So in your case it would be something like:

sudo dd if=/boot/idbloader.img of=/dev/mmcblk2 seek=64 conv=notrunc,fsync
sudo dd if=/boot/u-boot.itb of=/dev/mmcblk2 seek=16384 conv=notrunc,fsync

Double check that your eMMC drive is actually mmcblk2.

Also, before you reboot, please check that your extlinux.conf file is correct, especially regarding the root=LABEL line, so if your root partition is labeled ROOT_MNJRO then the line should have root=LABEL=ROOT_MNJRO in it.

Do this by running lsblk from the terminal.

ah ok, thanks a lot!

i will try this asap.

unfortunately it did not work as it should - maybe i did something wrong…
anyway, i will buy an emmc adapter, so i can flash the emmc directly from my pc and will do a clean install and setup with the latest 20.08 image.
hopefully this will solve the problems…

1 Like