Pihole recorded many requests from ArchLinux every day!

Hello,

I am using Manjaro OS, but Pihole recorded many requests from ArchLinux Domain.
Each request every 5 minutes! I did not open Arch linux website and pacman.

What are these requests from Archlinux? Why?

Sorry for my bad English

Since we use a lot of Archlinux packages, some might phone home upstream. We have to see which of those are doing this.

When I blacklisted Archlinux.org, I see the “No Connection” icon in the taskbar. Even so, the internet works fine.
Screenshot_20200911_213828

Is that related to the network?

Yes. That’s some kind of “do i have internet access” check. Maybe in networkmanager or so.

2 Likes

it apperently just checks the connection. It’s located in /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf

3 Likes

Checking connectivity

NetworkManager can try to reach a page on Internet when connecting to a network. networkmanager is configured by default in /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf to check connectivity to archlinux.org. To use a different webserver or disable connectivity checking create /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf , see NetworkManager.conf(5) § CONNECTIVITY SECTION.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager#Checking_connectivity

4 Likes

Don’t.

No, this isn’t even close.

1 Like

Maybe manjaro should change it to it’s own hosts rather than archlinux.org

1 Like

Then the title might ask: Why is Manjaro phoning home all the time ... We have to see about that.

1 Like

Ahh, I understand.
Okay, I whitelist Archlinux.org now. :slight_smile:

That could be :joy:.

Maybe make a subdomain like wedonttrackyou.manjaro.org :joy:

edit dontworry.behappy.manjaro.org

Well, we have to see about a service if we want to change that URL. At least Archlinux does no access logging for that url …

1 Like

And, make public statements attesting to that fact.

That would probably raise even more questions :upside_down_face:

Ok. we-do-not-log-anything-you-can-verify-with-wireshark.manjaro.org :wink:.

Yeah and who can asure that what’s in their git is really running on their servers? (Not that I doubt it though)

Will trust that way before something buried on page 175 of a 900 page EULA. :slight_smile:

But, I want to know who is going to go on twitter or reddit and start screaming that Arch is collecting telemetry data. :crazy_face:

Well, this is the code for pinging home:

If you check the defacto Gnome Upstream Distro Fedora, they install it separately:

https://fedora.pkgs.org/30/fedora-x86_64/NetworkManager-config-connectivity-fedora-1.16.0-1.fc30.noarch.rpm.html

So we might need to see if the check is needed after all to get a working connection going.
Also upstream is rethinking about that fact:

2 Likes

You can also read up on this topic here:

1 Like

This is already known for many years:

FYI: Wireshark cannot prove there is no logging of connection details on their servers. One could only inspect network traffic.

1 Like

Yeah true. They’d have your IP Address for sure. But at least you can still see what else goes over the line as you say.