People are not always responding when greeted with this message

I’ve spent most of the week looking to resolve my current issues with KDE/Plasma/Dual Monitor setups (AMD) and the one thing that I have noticed is that most people don’t respond or reply when anyone greets them with the following message

Start here, specifically the first part…
How to provide good information

Though I truly believe it’s the right message, I think it might not be so wonderful to read through a long post - especially if you’re currently frustrated with the issue you have. There is really good tool you mention in that post

Manjaro Log Helper (automated log generator GUI)

which I believe should be at the beginning of that post or used as part of the greeting message - I think it may encourage people to install it and therefore have an easier journey explaining their problems.

As an end user myself, I rarely use the terminal and find adding commands there a little scary (some times) I have been using Manjaro for a few years now and I can’t see myself going anywhere else.

Anyway - I need to keep hunting for my issues.

Have a great day & thank you for taking the time to help others make Manjaro a success.

3 Likes

I generally respond with:

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

Please read this:

and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…

An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)

:+1:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU or Kernel you have, …

And that seems to have people respond with at least the inxi output.

However, moving the Manjaro Log Helper (automated log generator GUI) higher up in the post seems like a good idea.

Shall I make that one a wiki, edit it, use a lot of [details] sections and improve the readability drastically so it doesn’t scare off people by hiding 90% of the content? (I don’t know if you can make a wiki private again though)
That’s already answered in another conversation and I’ll be editing that later today to make it more N00b-friendly later today and have you validate it. CC @codesardine @Yochanan

Please read this:

(And if you don’t want to read everything, read at a minimum the section: “The terminal is your friend!”)

:grin:

1 Like

Thank you Fabby. I have noticed the way you respond on the forums and do appreciate your approach. I do believe your approach of providing that extra bit of info is when we see the op reply more often than not. I hope it improves the forums as they, for me at least, are the main source of help I need (and learning) with any issues of Manjaro. There are perhaps hundreds of users who have posted on the forums looking for help with many views but no replies dating all the way back to Aug last year - well that’s as far back as I went, where ever there was reply, be that from a moderator, admin or even a regular user, when prompted to check out an easily readable yet long post on how to supply better info, the op rarely if ever responded. If I had the knowledge I’d reply myself but I feel like a noob here all the time.

Thank you for finding the time to respond - it is honestly appreciated.

Have a great day :slight_smile:

PS just updated my profile - thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

Thank you for updating your profile, but:

2021-02-19_17-09

:grin:

2 Likes

Hey Nicomo,

We’re currently reviewing the new document “How to provide good information” and will be publishing it soon.

The new article has been posted:

If you would have any further remarks / corrections / suggestions, we advise you to thake this up there…

:+1:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.