PdaNet for wifi-direct hotspot

It would involve knowing how “THEY” differentiate between traffic originating from your phone
vs traffic from devices connected to it.

I beliieve one way is the user agent. Which is easy to spoof. But other ways too that make simple spoofing not work.

it is.
but:
with https …
there "should be"
no way for “THEM” to even see that, to even be able to look at that
… to then use that as a criterion …

If they can do that -
https is compromized by design - by some app you are using/forced to use.

Well, it’s the same when I run custom ROMs with bare necessity apps only. Right now I’m running stock because all the customs for this phone have broken USB screen mirroring. That’s one way I get around the hotpot limitation is to mirror my phone onto my better laptop screen with scrcpy. Then I can watch Kodi on my better screen.

It is known that (some) providers detect “sharing over tethered” by counting hops (TTL).
By changing the TTL one can circumvent this.

There are other ways too though:

1 Like

That would have been my next suggestion - but not many even know about LineageOS
and such - and the list of supported devices is limited.

what @Pippin just posted
would seem more reasonable - and wouldn’t involve breaking https somehow
thanks!

That settles it. As much as I hate networking Network+ will be my next class. That is giberish to me…lol.

I build custom ROMs as a hobby and only get devices that can be bootloader unlocked. I haven’t built in a couple years though. I just got a laptop with the specs to do it again.

firewall rules
use that for search criteria
iptables
or
nftables
two variants
one older
one newer

you can alter the TTL

In fact, my love for android and the goal to build custom ROMs was why I moved to linux in the first place and now Linux has become my main love.

This has nothing to do with Networking. This is a simple case of checking if a system service is running or not.

systemctl status systemd-resolved.service

This command shows if a service is running or not.

Linux gurus don’t have the need to use something like this. :man_shrugging:

Btw., is your phone rooted?

Yes, I actually know the command well. I just didn’t understrand that seeing if it was running would tell us if it was involved. Hang on.

If resolved is not running it is not used. :wink:

I never know which edition enables it or if it is never is enabled.

It is loaded but inactive.

Always

With a standard DE, like Xfce, it is always going to be NetworkManager.
No?

But that is not the issue here - since he/she has just responded:
“Always”
to the question whether his device was rooted.

My mouse seems to have broken. I’m going to reboot. Damned mouse is always stoned. I can tell because his eye is always red. And he never shares…

It really is broken. And this thinkpad has a hair-trigger clickpad that is practically unusable. I’ll have to go get one to continue and keep my sanity.

Yes NetworkManager, but systemd-resolved can be used with NM. Many distributions use systemd-resolved with NM.

Manjaro, too?

Not sure. Maybe not the main editions but a community edition, or some editions in the past. :man_shrugging: