PdaNet for wifi-direct hotspot

Most likely. Only the more traditional cli programs will check for theses environment variables.

But I will also add the you probably did not set them up. You need to call the function with the proxy as an argument. Then check with

cat $https_proxy

It needs to print the proxy server out.

Some program will use the proxy automatically. For example curl, git one the cli. I would not expect any GUI program to check theses environment variables, but I don’t know for sure.

then I should be able to use pacman right? let me think of something to install. I’ll try pacman -Syy

nope not working]

I guess I was hoping for something better…more system-wide. Maybe this is why there is no pdanet for linux.

pacman is a little bit special since you would probably use sudo.
There is an Arch Wiki entry on this
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Pacman_does_not_honor_proxy_settings

1 Like

Wow. You guys sure know your stuff.

I’ve just scratched making an opensource PdaNet off my things to do list. lol

At least for today. :wink:

Setting up a proxy in a Linux environment isn’t fun. It is easier to set up a proxy server than to configure a system to use a proxy to reach the internet.

1 Like

wget and curl aren’t working either.

[user@ltp ~]$ wget  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/arkansawdave74/andronix/master/repofixfix.sh
--2021-04-17 14:59:09--  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/arkansawdave74/andronix/master/repofixfix.sh
Loaded CA certificate '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt'
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address ‘raw.githubusercontent.com’
[user@ltp ~]$ curl  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/arkansawdave74/andronix/master/repofixfix.sh
curl: (6) Could not resolve host: raw.githubusercontent.com
[user@ltp ~]$

This means your system can’t reach a DNS Server. This does not mean the http proxy don’t work.

DNS needs to set up separately. This is system wide. It is set up usually form the program that establish a Network connection.

this is just above my level then

I scored straight A’s in all my CompTIA A+ practice exams but 1, even scoreed 100% in Network Troubleshooting, but got 45% in Networking.Guess it’s time for the Network+ course.

I changed my DNS. Firefox is still working, but wget and curl still can’t resolve host address.

I used instructions here:

Debian is not Manjaro. Instructions for Debian often don’t work on Distribution that are not related to Debian.

First check if systemd-resolved is involved. Then check what is listed in /etc/resolv.conf . Then use a tool like dig to see if the correct server would be used. If systemd-resolved is involved it doesn’t matter which namesever are listed in /etc/resolv.conf , normal programs will not use it.

Keep in mind that Firefox might not use the system DNS settings at all. Firefox can use DoH with Cloudflare server. This depends on your settings and country.

1 Like

With NetworkManager, if you want to ensure that your preferred DNS-servers are used,
you need to change the “Method” tab from

Automatic (DHCP)
to
Automatic (DHCP) addresses only

This way, the DNS-server handed out by your router/by your provider isn’t used or even considered - but just the ones you want to use instead.

ps:
also, the separator between two entries (two server addresses) is just a comma
no whitespace after it, like in “correct orthography”
The tooltip you see when you hover over the field also tells you this …

1 Like

I’m curious.
I don’t quite understand how something like this scenario here would even work.

This is how I understood it:

You have “unlimited” internet data.
… when you use your phone, that is …

When you connect your phone to a computer
and use the phone’s internet connection that way
by way of tethering

or by way of sharing the phone’s access wirelessly to one or more different devices

then, suddenly, another limit applies.

HOW can the carrier even make that distinction?
HOW can they tell whether the phone is not used directly,
but is used to allow other devices to go through it’s internet connection?

HOW can they even tell what happens?
HOW can they tell that you connected some device to your phone - essentially using it as a router?
… and, based on that, restrict data usage … by calling that “Hotspot … something”

I’m curious.
This does not seem “legit”.

This strange restriction,
of which I don’t know how it could work or how it is implemented,
is what PdaNet (and some other apps)
are trying to work around - it seems.

Perhaps you can’t answer that.
Maybe someone else can?
Thanks!

maybe @xabbu and/or @linux-aarhus can help me to grasp what is behind this?
I’m pretty sure that we don’t have such things here in Europe.
(although it is - or has been - in the “Terms and Conditions” of my previous mobile phone contracts … it never truly affected me or rather how I was able to use the phone)

Well, years ago I tried to change DNS and failed before there were Manjaro instructions. I was glad to find any instructions, actually. I’ve been around a long time and have often had to use instructions from other distros, usually making small changes where needed, such as using

sudo systemct restart NetworkManager

instead of

systemctl networking restart

from that tutorial.

I haven’t read this but may help you and every non-American understand. We Americans don’t even ponder it…it’s all we’ve ever known.

Thank you for that. Whitespace removed and curl still can’t resolve. Still reading.

Good morning!

still: thank you
but that answer is more about the sheer number of connections - not how the carrier might decide whether it originated from the phone
or from some device(s) connected to it
and act/restrict based upon that.

ps:
re-read the thread - I responded to your post with the NetworkManager configuration pictures.
Perhaps it helps.

I have heard - only heard! - that there is (or was) such a feature that you would be billed not only for making a call - but also for receiving calls
… perhaps based upon from where the caller called …
That - if true - seemed totally weird to me.
… paying to get called … with a (not exactly cheap) contract to a cellular provider …
… one can’t control who is calling you …

FYI:
I only have 2 GB of data included
but even after these are used up
there will still be connectivity
just very, very slow.
Still usable for using e-mail and Google maps
which I use a lot to get around.
They just throttle it to be rather unusable for heavy use, like videos and such.

I wish I understood how to do that, but I don’t. Networking doesn’t come naturally to me like other computer areas. Probably because I’m antisocial. Connecting is against my nature…LOL.

It’s probably not - if you didn’t change any of the defaults I would not worry about that.
NetworkManager is the standard tool.

lol - it’s similar for me
but: here we are :wink:

We Americans are just as surprised when we find out nowhere else has this problem. I’d pay double happily for unlimited hotspot. You might ask your question in the Member Hub. I don’t know the answer and I’d rather keep my focus on things I CAN fix. At least while I have all this help.

… if you knew how it works - how “they” do it
then you could “fix it”
easily

If you knew how PdaNet works - what that program actually does -
it would be easy to implement without it.

I’d rather know how that works than to just pay double …

1 Like

I’m actually very surprised no Linux gurus have tackled it in all these years. I’m not the man for the job…yet.