Pamac's new look

Hey, personally I like the new look. Also, I think the issue with the installed/not installed packages is to do with your theme cause for me everything is color coded.

I like the fact that everything is categorized better now thanks to the side bar. I don’t use pamac and usually use pacman to install stuff but I like the new style.

1 Like

i have gtk/gnome application style set with “sweet mars”,and i get this in the new pamac

as you can see it’s hard to read.

1 Like

What is wrong with Pamac design, every time it becomes worse !

• Big Header (where plane can takeoff)
  • Far right mouse grab scrollbar selection doesn’t work at all
  • Horizontal separator between packages in dependencies are gone ! which makes it hard to click on correct correspondent buttons.
  • File tab list became so big vertically and the view has two scrollbars at right which cause problem at scrolling
  • Settings window is destroyed with those big UI components and big vertical gapes and those small header titles
  • After clicking apply, in optional packages selection dialog there is no way to select optional packages or deselect theme !

Really bad bad design !

2 Likes

previously looked well with ClearlooksRe + BlueMenta, but now looks like garbage

I don’t like it at all. Especially that the x to close button isn’t right up in the top corner, so instead of just pushing the mouse hard up into the right upper corner to close, you have to position it carefully, or it misses. I don’t like the icon changes either.

1 Like

XFCE desktop with:

• Appearance Style: Adwaita
  • Window Manager Style: Kokodi

pamac 10.1.2 looks fine for a GTK app :wink:

I wonder if GTK desktops are experiencing less issues (git).

I have a few suggestions after reviewing pamac 10.1.2.

Suggestions

1. Sidebar

===> Needs a breadcrumb trail

If the Sidebar is not expanded, it is unknown to the user that the list of software is still filtered by the “Categories”, “Groups”, “Repositories”, or "Explicitly installed, “Orphans”, “Foreign”.

Perhaps some sort of breadcrumb trail should appear to the right of the Expand sidebar button.

2. Preferences > General > Updates check Frequency

===> Let the user choose the granularity

I agree with others, let the user choose a granularity (sanitize and verify minimum) that works for them, rather than a fixed dropdown list.

3. Preferences > General > Refresh Mirrors

===> No feedback from UI and pamac terminates after multiple clicks of button

When I clicked Refresh Mirrors, nothing happened, at least visually.

I clicked the button multiple times (between 2 and 4 clicks with a 1-4 second wait in-between), and pamac just quietly went away/terminated. This is repeatable.

Obviously this isn’t something I’d do on a regular basis :slight_smile: , but I didn’t get any feedback that anything happened from the UI. The file was updated at least once.

There needs to be some sort of user notification by the UI that /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist was updated, maybe even consider displaying the mirrorlist results.

Also, if you have control of the comment text in the mirrorlist file, tag it with the application that changed it, like:

## Manjaro Linux custom mirrorlist
## Generated on 2021-05-15 HH:MM by pamac-manager

I haven’t used this feature in pamac before so I didn’t know what was normal behavior. I tried the Refresh Mirrors List button in pamac 10.0.6, and when the button was clicked I saw a progress bar and the text “Refreshing mirrors list…” at the bottom of the parent window. Ahh, there’s the user feedback missing in 10.1.2 :slight_smile: . In 10.0.6, I also tried clicking the button multiple times, and each time I saw the progress bar react, but just like 10.1.2, pamac 10.0.6 just went away quietly after multiple clicks of the button.

1 Like

This is theme related I guess as mine have half the height of the install/remove buttons (actually 22px versus 36px). Looks fine to me.

Pamac is made to adapt to screen size to be as much compatible as possible for phones screen. It is a compromise to server everyone, so if you have an extra wide screen for sure the row will be gigantic if you maximize the window (//EDIT: actually there is a max width apparently so not really sure, maybe you’re talking about their height? I think it is fine).

This is a theme problem, as confirmed by guinux in the issue here https://gitlab.manjaro.org/applications/pamac/-/issues/1025#note_21604

1 Like

That theme butchers even the square buttons into circles … also smaller than they actually are.

That was always the case for GTK3 and GTK4

That can be improved - not sure if was addressed actually.

About the screenshots and what you asked about the buttons, see the reply here:

The two scroll bars are required because there are two types of content, not only one. The progress has to have its own scroll, and the main one is for when you access description and happens that the package has also images attached …
Most of the issues mentioned are due the theme used, so please don’t make @guinux responsible for your themes …

That is a garbage theme combination.

x button can reside right or left … or even in both sides, but has nothing to do with Pamac. Overall looks good

The progress bar is there, at the bottom, sliding back and forth, when refreshing mirrors list:

I clicked once.

pamac About Box shows 10.1.2-0.1.
pacman shows “there is nothing to do”.

Rebooted, just in case :slight_smile: . Tried Refresh Mirrors. Nope. No progress bar :frowning:

As I mentioned above, I tried Refresh Mirror List on pamac 10.0.6-2 and I see the progress bar.

If you were to click Refresh Mirrors in the spirit of testing, does pamac terminate. pamac terminated in 10.1.2-0.1 and 10.0.6-2.

I normally use the commandline, pacman-mirrors. I use pamac for AUR mostly.

I definitely wanted to try it for myself. Other than what I mentioned above, it looks and acts perfectly fine. I’m trying to learn as much as I can about the whole CSD thing since I’ve committed myself to XFCE after years with KDE.

Honestly it looks good and clean, I like it.

Maybe the search closer to browse with text too like the rest, I mean now you can see it before you couldn’t, so probably it’s perfect now, don’t move it.
Versions now really pop, good job.

Problems with alignment.

I’m on testing branch … On unstable there is 10.1.2-1
What do you mean by

There is just one button in Preferences > General > Official Repositories and is called Refresh Mirrors, where is the other button exactly?

Is the way you use your font sizes and the way you tweaked your theme to make use of icons …

mine looks kind of nice and I’m enjoying the new look :’)

Just for everyone to know:

These are my PC specs/details:

mirdarthos@Mirdarthos-PC
------------------------
Host: Z370 HD3
Kernel: 5.10.34-1-MANJARO
Uptime: 19 mins
Packages: 1760 (pacman), 26 (flatpak)
Shell: zsh 5.8
Resolution: 2560x1080 @ 60.00Hz, 2560x1080 @ 60.00Hz
DE: Plasma 5.21.4
WM: KWin
WM Theme: Nordian-Aurorae
Theme: Arc Dark [Plasma], Breath-Dark [GTK2/3]
Icons: Breeze-Gradient-Dark [Plasma], Breeze-Gradient-Dark [GTK2/3]
Terminal: yakuake
CPU: Intel i7-8700 (12) @ 4.0GHz [32.0°C]
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
GPU Driver: NVIDIA 460.73.01
Memory: 4336MiB / 15960MiB (27%)

And this is the new pamac (after the update this morning.):

For what it’s worth, I think it looks stunning!

I didn’t notice much change from 10.0.6-2 to 10.1.2-0.1. I think with regular updates, 10.1.2 shouldn’t be too much of a difference, although I don’t follow pamac that closely. If you are a KDE user, where traditional windows are the standard, the direction of Gnome/GTK is going to take some adjustments.

If the root cause of the UI issues is a user’s theme, how do KDE user’s customize GTK apps in the age of CSD? In XFCE, users can use Kvantum Manager to customize QT apps.

pamac-qt is at version 0.3.2-2. Should KDE users be using pamac-gtk or pamac-qt?

I don’t know, but is this archlinux wiki relevant today: Uniform look for Qt and GTK application.

You have to install and select matching themes for QT and GTK, that’s all. And you select the GTK theme in System Settings → Appearance → Application Style → Configure GTK Theme (at the bottom right corner)

I use the Materia themes from official repositories (materia-kde and its optional dependency materia-gtk-theme), and it works good. I don’t use Kvantum at all. I think the issue wit htheme is the theme itself, I just reported the issue with Materia for example so users should just do that to fix the issues with themes.

pamac-qt is another program which has nothing to do with pamac-gtk (which is what we’re talking about here). I use Pamac GTK on KDE without issue (but the theme specific issues. If you use the default Manjaro themes there is no issue).

The button text was changed between 10.0.6 and 10.1.2 :slight_smile:

I have access to pamac version 10.0.6-2

• Preferences > Official Repositories > Refresh Mirrors List
  • When clicked I get a progress bar on the parent window.

I also have access to pamac version 10.1.2-0.1

• Preferences > General > Refresh Mirrors
  • When clicked I get nothing.

Both

• If I click the button multiple times (testing of course), pamac terminates — just peacefully goes away.

1 Like

Ah yeah, i remember now, but was a good call to trim down the name, as is clear that is about a list of mirrors.
Have you tried the version from testing ?

Yep I got the same behavior, I don’t have anything anywhere showing progress. It also terminates if I do two clicks on the button (it shouldn’t allow multiple clicks in my opinion, until the operation is finished, good example of that is the Update tab when you click the Refresh button it is not allowed to click it before operation ends), terminal output says this before exiting:

ERROR:../src/transaction_interface_daemon.vala:83:pamac_transaction_interface_da
emon_real_generate_mirrors_list_co: code should not be reached
Bail out! ERROR:../src/transaction_interface_daemon.vala:83:pamac_transaction_in
terface_daemon_real_generate_mirrors_list_co: code should not be reached
Aborted (core dumped)

Pamac 10.1.2-0.2 on KDE, Testing branch.

The truth is, all applications should be mede to properly interpret morse code clicking
-- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / -.-. .-.. .. -.-. -.- .. -. --.