Pamac suggestion

I don’t know if this is the right place to discuss it, but I have a suggestion to next Pamac versions and I can’t find a better place to place that, and me thinks a new conversation is too much for what it is:

Yesterday, when I was doing the regular update that went well here on Cinnamon, I noticed some of the updates were Pamac related. As every other software Pamac is regularly updated to correct bugs that can make some problems on the users installations. My suggestion would be to make Pamac (and other package installer/updater related packages) updates to be prioritized in such a way that users can not proceed to the other regular updates without installing those Pamac updates and restart it in the newer version.

Forgive me if that was suggested anywhere else and have a nice day!

1 Like

That’s already the case for important stuff. Pamac is not.

1 Like

Many thanks Omano for the information and the kind words. Have a nice day!

Indeed:

❯ cat /etc/pacman.conf | grep SyncFirst
SyncFirst = manjaro-system archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring

But what is the benefit of doing it that way?

Well, i think Microsoft and Apple do that… fortunately, it’s not the case here :slight_smile:

I don’t know how things are right now, but in the 19.x series, Linux Mint did that also. Once there was an installer update, that would to be the “highlighted” update. No proceed to the next updates without doing the updater one!.. Oh, well!.. Different way of working apparently!.. Forgive the inconvenience and have a nice day!.. :slight_smile:

Using Pamac you’ll see sometimes that it will offer ‘manjaro-system’ etc, and when that’s finished it’ll offer others… as Yochanan says, it’s already in place but perhaps not obvious.

Remember these things if you argue in threads like ‘Why choose Manjaro over Arch’ :wink:

The ‘prioritized’ downloads system in Linux Mint was a fail - and many Mint users were very irresponsible about doing their updates, thinking they only need to do the prioritized ones.

Also the lack of ‘rolling’ means there are some people still stuck on Mint 17 after it’s End of Life…

1 Like

You can add what you like to that line
/etc/pacman.conf
eg SyncFirst = manjaro-system archlinux-keyring manjaro-keyring pamac pamac-cli pamac-gtk pacman

The only problem with that is both pamac and pacman could have dependencies that need updating first. That’s not the case with manjaro-system or the keyrings.

4 Likes