Pamac Pending list and button contrasts

Who’s talking about designers? There were numerous obviously regressive steps undertaken by Gnome, e.g. removing icons from desktop, removing minimize and maximize buttons from windows’ titlebars and so on. Each one was causing a sht storm every time and every time they didn’t listen. Well I understand that most good designers and developers might have gone to Apple or somewhere else but what about common sense? In particular, how about trying not to make it worse? No, they just imagined a great new look and went for it. KDE did pretty much the same and suffered accordingly. It took a lot of time for them to get their credibility again. Now they are listening to complaints and usability bugs reported. While Gnome devs still think they are / were right. Heck, look at the number of extensions Manjaro needs to make a proper Manjaro Gnome distro and how much time it took to get to the current point since the release of Gnome 40. Look at Ubuntu which couldn’t afford switching to new Gnome, and which btw didn’t want to go for Gnome for years and years. Of course, that’s because of stupid users who are not designers, true story.

1 Like

Yet you can be? How so?

Is not …

Projecting much?

You are quite disingenuous it seems.

You are.

Didn’t saw your proposals yet, care to share them?

Nope I wasn’t. You mentioned the fact that not everyone is a designer (like anybody could claim the contrary without being declared insane).

I wasn’t involved into any non-Russian speaking Linux forums / bugtrackers / social media until this one. But I read some resources at the time and saw lots of negative feedback on the above and I saw devs’ reaction. All that fuzz with both KDE and Gnome were one of the reasons I switched to Windows / macOS btw. 3 years ago I found that Plasma devs got back on a sane route and now I am a happy Plasma user. As for Gnome… I don’t think it has any chance. Because as I said before

But sorry for this offtop which has gone quite far, I just wanted to make a salty/rofl comment in fact, sorry for that too. Peace!

There will be always a route in any creation/design/programming process … and that route has an impact on users always. Some take it really bad, and their feedback follows. Some agree and so on. Important is not to escalate …
When making a criticism, if you go into revealing bad reactions to something, the output will be more negative from both sides. My stance might look aggressive from outside, but is not. I can justify everything in regard with design, shapes, volumes and colors, functionality too, but my limitation is that i don’t know programming, hence whatever a proposal could look fine, to not be possible to be implemented.

Do you remember the colorful icons in Adobe Photoshop and the UI they had? As a creative suite, was actually not suited for creative people. The UI was competing visually with what artists created. They needed a couple of years to realize that the best approach is to go monochromatic with the entire UI, and just give variants of dark, grey and whatever light they use now … :slight_smile:

Is fine, you do not have to apologize for anything. Discussion always been the forte of Manjaro forum since i came to it, and in spite the trend rumores that nobody here is listening to the community i’m here to demonstrate that is not so, and if i can collect all the information that is truly helpful from all this, i have a way trough my presumption to make sure those points will get where is needed. If not, then i failed and my place as Manjaro team member will be obsolete.

You assumed I didn’t like it because it’s out of habits (which is the lazy way of dismissing valid points), and that I was on the learning phase (trying to belittle me to make a point). Yes, this is being contemptuous.

I’ve been politely pointing out things that could be improved regarding the basics (and others have pointed the button contrast issue), while you’ve been avoiding the points through the lazy assumption of habits and me being on a learning phase, or how I picked the packages, or nitpicking about words and percentages. Basically just trying to mock me so as to dismiss my points. So yeah, you have been rude, sorry. It’s probably in your interest though. So you can have my points lost among the rest and justify not to address them.
I created this topic with a view to give feedback and know if they were fundamental design reasons (mobile UI is one) or bugs. And improve it if possible, especially since the lack of button contrast is clearly an issue for people in these forums. I didn’t create it to be looked down on or have these kind of childish exchanges. So it’s a real shame.

And here I get back to the topic.

It might not be technically, that’s for sure.
But in terms of design having an immediate view of what’s installed and what’s not through good contrast (I understand now how including the mobile UI was a valid reason to trigger a change) and an easily accessible way of checking and reverting pending operations is undeniably trivial.

1 Like

You did it to yourself:

Either you have it or not? I didn’t make any presuppositions from myself about you.

You admitted doing random stuff and have no recollection what you did. So, you are testing stuff …
How i belittled you exactly ?

I COLLECT the points, if presented in a coherent way, so i can compile them …

You think i have something against words as i have against you?

Yeah, good display of nonsense!

Nobody is mocking anybody!

And i told you from the start, that was the proper way to address it:

If you took that as impolite, or that i was ironic, then …

Yes, the only time you said something positive is when you said it was the proper way to address these issues.

I won’t answer point by point to that last reply (and disregard how disrespectful and childish this all is) as it doesn’t bring much to the topic at hand. it’s indeed diverting attention from any interesting discussion.

There are mentions of that lack of button contrast in at least 3 different topics, so you are now aware of it. And I argued on why a way to get an easily accessible complete list of pending operations is a good practice. I don’t care much if it’s a specific tab, or on top of others, or any alternative way, really, I can change my habits in a snap, so whatever you would think is best. You have your feedback. Whether you’re willing to act on it is a different thing.
If I don’t adhere to a specific design decision but you can justify it with solid arguments, I will respect what you do out of that feedback (including nothing). For example, improving the mobile UI is a valid argument to change, even though the outcome is now in need of tweaking on the desktop. I

1 Like

And what makes you think i would change from one stance to the opposite of it? I’m not on medication …

Projecting from your part is indeed as you describe it.

The TOPIC has now two places where is discussed. Switch to the one that follows less the personal part … See how this helps the topic

That’s enough, it’s gotten way off topic and is getting out of hand.

2 Likes