NVMe storage (not boot) drive is being recognized as an external drive?

Hello, everyone!

I have yesterday rebooted Manjaro with the Cinnamon distro. Installation ran off smoothly as always, I booted into the system, then formatted my second nvme drive (storage only) as ext4, mounted it to ~/Storage, then added UUID to /etc/fstab, then ‘sudo mount -a’ and rebooted. Even though this drive is both recognizable and usable by the OS and permanently mounted to ~/Storage, it still appears as a removable drive, which causes a bit of confusion with my actual removable drives. It’s not too big of a problem, but it would be nice if I could make it so that Manjaro just recognizes it as a permanent storage drive, not allowing me the option to remove it. Just a small quality-of-life change, but that would look cleaner to me.

Can someone help please?
Thank you.

An advise from a sysadmin for life

Remove the line from your fstab and save the file and unmount the device

sudo umount /home/$USER/Storage

Then create a folder in root

sudo mkdir /a/storage
sudo chown $USER:$USER /a/storage

Create a file

cat /etc/systemd/system/a-storage.mount

[Unit]
Description=Storage partition

[Mount]
What=/dev/disk/by-uuid/<your-uuid>
Where=/a/storage
Type=ext4
Options=defaults,rw,noatime

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

The enable and start the unit

sudo systemctl enable --now a-storage.mount

Symlink the mountpoint into your home

ln -sf /a/storage ~/storage
3 Likes

Add x-gvfs-hide to the options at fstab and it will be hidden in the file manager.

1 Like

I do something similar with an fstab entry:

``UUID=xxxxxxxx /media/archiv ext4 defaults,noatime,nofail,nosuid,x-gvfs-hide 0 2`

where the UUID must be determined beforehand…

Or use a Bind mount. I have many of them, myself. But it’s up to you.

1 Like

Whoa, thanks everyone! Those are all very helpful suggestions. I’ll get right on them :slight_smile:

@linux-aarhus I do have a question though, why do you feel its best to put a second storage drive outside of home directory, and directly under root? I used to think of home as being mostly storage anyway, even though this storage drive would also host applications, come to think of it… what’s your take?

I have found that using Gnome Disks, works well, for this.

Select your drive:

Select Mount Options from the gear icon:

Then disable User Sessions Defaults, select Mount at startup and uncheck Show in user interface.

I’m having trouble implementing these suggestions. I’m following them to a tee, as best I can, but I’m getting an error when trying to enable the a-storage.mount command. Just to be sure, I unmounted the unit:

sudo umount /dev/nvme1n1

then I reformatted it:

sudo gdisk /dev/nvme1n1

I zapped it (expert mode, then z), and next, I ran:

sudo cgdisk /dev/nvme1n1

then, I formatted it as 8300 type drive, and named it Storage. I mkfs.ext4 for that drive:

sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/nvme1n1p1

When it was done, I created the /a/Storage folder:

sudo mkdir /a
sudo mkdir /a/Storage
sudo chown -R vicente:vicente /a/Storage

then I created the file:

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/a-storage.mount

I copy-pasted your text, substituting in my UUID for the storage unit after formatting:

lsblk -f
└─nvme1n1p1
     ext4   1.0         2f58a9e4-6d3c-4222-ba66-3b43b5e9c0dc
[Unit]
Description=Storage partition

[Mount]
What=/dev/disk/by-uuid/2f58a9e4-6d3c-4222-ba66-3b43b5e9c0dc
Where=/a/Storage
Type=ext4
Options=defaults,rw,noatime

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Ctrl+O and Ctrl+X, then I tried enabling the service:

[vicente@ROG-Laptop a]$ sudo systemctl enable --now a-storage.mount
Failed to start a-storage.mount: Unit a-storage.mount has a bad unit file setting.
See system logs and 'systemctl status a-storage.mount' for details.
[vicente@ROG-Laptop a]$ systemctl status a-storage.mount 
○ a-storage.mount - Storage partition
     Loaded: bad-setting (Reason: Unit a-storage.mount has a bad unit file setting.)
     Active: inactive (dead)
      Where: /a/Storage
       What: /dev/disk/by-uuid/2f58a9e4-6d3c-4222-ba66-3b43b5e9c0dc

feb 10 18:07:40 ROG-Laptop systemd[1]: a-storage.mount: Where= setting doesn't match unit name. Refusing.
feb 10 18:28:47 ROG-Laptop systemd[1]: a-storage.mount: Where= setting doesn't match unit name. Refusing.

So, after all of this, what am I doing wrong here? I have no idea… I have reviewed all steps multiple times, but I don’t see if I made a mistake along the way. Can you please help?

Thank you.

The correct filename would be -a-storage.mount. So try again with that.

I remember this is something I struggled with, as well. See:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/345518

Also see:

[root tip] [How To] Use systemd to mount ANY device)

and

An, to me, this: :point_down:

…doesn’t look right, as you can’t mount a disk, or “drive”. Only partitions ON a disk/“drive” can be mounted, and NVMe partition paths look like:

/dev/nvme0n1p1

Take a look here, it’ll help a lot:

2 Likes

The unit-file must be named exactly as the mountpoint - Linux file-systems are case sensitive - and systemd is case sensitive.

if mountpoint is /a/Storage the unit-file must be named a-Storage.mount

Please see the following guides on using systemd mount units

1 Like

Well, technically, what you mount is neither a partition nor a disk/drive, but a filesystem.

It is possible to use an HDD or an SSD without partitions by directly formatting them with a filesystem — just as back in the days of the floppy disk — but you wouldn’t be able to boot from it, because the BIOS boot process requires there to be a distinct MBR, and the EFI boot process requires there to be a designated EFI system partition. :wink:

OK…

But for us normal plebs… this makes my head hurt. And I just thought I’m getting a grip on things…

So, this would only be useful in the case of storage? And it sounds kind of advanced…

Yes, exactly.

It is actually done quite often in enterprise environments. Technically, you could do it with a relatively simple filesystem type such as ext4, but it is most commonly used with very advanced filesystems such as btrfs or zfs, as well as with old-school volume managers such as LVM. :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, this solution works perfectly! =D thank you all so much!

no one needs to know how many times i tried doing this thing, and that i ended up completely reformatting my whole system just so i could start fresh and give it another try, but hey, now it’s working perfectly, so i can just say that and omit the rest, right? right?

Thanks again, everyone.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.