NVIDIA X Server Settings has missing options

Hello,

I’m new on Manjaro, i think i’ve a problem with my nvidia configuration. When i launch nvidia-settings the only part of configuration is about my graphics card, nothing about X11 server.

Console prompt: (nvidia-settings:4554): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 21:50:38.389: g_object_unref: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

Any idea to correct this problem ? I hope you can help me out.
thank you.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

That only happens when the NVIDIA drivers are not installed properly.

Please post your system info as outlined here:

Please also see:

NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE

video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
 video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI

video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime 2023.03.23 false PCI

Not launching nvidia-settings with the nvidia either I’d guess.

prime-run nvidia-settings

But last I heard nvidia-settings is kinda dumb and requires sudo ?
(sudo prime-run nvidia-settings)
And it also used to need an extra flag when run with optimus/bumblebee ?
(sudo prime-run nvidia-settings -c :8 )

I’ve tried the 3 commands, with the same result as before…

glxinfo | grep OpenGL1
OpenGL vendor string: Intel
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 23.1.5
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 23.1.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 23.1.5
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Seems my card is not detected.

Of course it wouldnt like that …

glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'
prime-run glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'

Oh … and looking back … I assumed you shared installed mhwd profiles, but you didnt actually say.
What command presented you with this (unformatted) output?:

PS.
Please make use of either the </> code button, or even better, wrap things in tics, like so:

```
bleep bloop
```

Sorry for my bad formatting…

glxinfo | grep ‘renderer string’

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)

prime-run glxinfo | grep ‘renderer string’

OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2

inxi -G

Graphics:
Device-1: Intel CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: nvidia v: 535.98
Device-3: Bison HD Webcam driver: uvcvideo type: USB
Display: x11 server: X . org V: 1.21.1.8 with: Xwayland v: 23.1.2 driver: X:
loaded: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: nouveau dri: iris gpu: i915 resolution:
1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 1600x900~60Hz
API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 23.1.5 renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CFL
GT2)

mhwd -li

> Installed PCI configs:
NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
 video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2023.03.23               false            PCI

That’s only tell taht i’ve a proprietary drivers for my nvidia card.

nvidia-smi

Fri Aug 25 18:19:29 2023       
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 535.98                 Driver Version: 535.98       CUDA Version: 12.2     |
|-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                      |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050        Off | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   50C    P8              N/A / ERR! |      4MiB /  4096MiB |      0%      Default |
|                                         |                      |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                            |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                            GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                             Usage      |
|=======================================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A      1534      G   /usr/lib/Xorg                                 4MiB |

When i try to load prog with DRI_PRIME=1 i’ve the kind of message:
libGL error: glx: failed to create dri3 screen
libGL error: failed to load driver: nouveau

Incorrect

Correct.

This shows prime-run working fine.

But you said prime-run nvidia-settings still produces the same errors?

I suppose we should make sure you are up to date:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syu

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syu
Done, but nothing change… Same problem when i launch nvidia-settings …

When i run glxgears and prime-run glxgears, the result are the same, normal ?

I think i’ve a problem because result with glxgears are the same with/witouhe prime-run and when i use blender sometime it crash and on my window session blender is faster than on manjaro.

Someone have any idea, or finally i’ve no problem and manjaro is just slower and buggy ?

Maybe give the terminal output of the nvidia-settings command you start with prime-run. So far it seems to work from the command output you provided, when you use prime-run it uses Nvidia.

I’m not sure you get the full Nvidia options with “hybrid GPU” as the main card is not Nvidia.

This is “normal” GTK error/warning when you start a GTK application from terminal, most of them will produce such warning.

Hello Omano,

Thanks for your response, when i run nvidia-settings with prime-run the termina prompt:

Console prompt: (nvidia-settings:4554): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 21:50:38.389: g_object_unref: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

It’s normal for glxGears that i got the same measure wit/without prime-run ?

GLXGears could be run on a toaster so unless your main GPU is a toaster, you should see same result.

Try with a 3D game.

You could try with that (or others they provide):

Download it, extract it to a folder in your Home, and run it from terminal, once without and once with the prime-run command. You will probably need to make it executable before trying to running it.

chmod +x Unigine_Heaven-4.0.run then run it once ./Unigine_Heaven-4.0.run and then run it with Prime Run prime-run Unigine_Heaven-4.0.run.

See for yourself the difference.

Blender maybe requires more recent video card or some configuration. Document yourself about it first GPU Rendering — Blender Manual

I don’t see the 1050M in the compatible GPU list: CUDA GPUs - Compute Capability | NVIDIA Developer. I see other “M” cards supported though.

yeah … it isnt a very good test at all.
If you were going to use it … you would probably want to remove the vblank options … as by default it would be locked to screen refresh rate (or 60 fps). But it still shouldnt be considered a benchmark tool.

vblank_mode=0 glxgears

Thanks Omano and CSCS,

Ok, so all finally works.
It’s really confusing, in my main menu I can set the power mode but that doesn’t mean that I’m using my nvidia card or the integrated card finally.

For blender I will still look a little, on windows it is almost twice faster.

Thanks you

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.