Nvidia-settings has almost no options - raytracing disabled too

he already explained it. that’s the reason why to run optimus in real nvidia-mode to access g-sync

yes thats what i mean, he switches in optimus to nvidia so that he can access the settings

So I reverted everything back. The two settings in sddm.conf are commented out. The video-Nvidia is installed again and Optimus-manager.
Screen again dark.

Did the command but I cannot handwrite this stuff via mobile it’s outputting. It’s all infos, no errors or warnings and that Optimus manager commands demon has started (this stood out so mentioning it).

Edit: when I run inxi -GC it tells me that Display loaded: modesetting failed: nvidia

okay so the optimus-daemon is active. please boot to the dark-screen, change to a console as before and login.
from there edit /etc/default/grub with sudo rights and edit the following:
at

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= .....

you add the following to the existing entries that are there

optimus-manager.startup=nvidia

store the file and run

sudo update grub
sudo mkinitcpio -P

after do a restart

Is there an alternative to the update command as my system says not found?

my mistake

sudo update-grub
sudo mkinitcpio -P

missed the minus

Thank you so much. It worked. Screen is working, boot to Desktop and most importantly: Optimus Manager ran and selected Nvidia card. And finally - the nvidia-settings looks as I’m used to it with the X Server options.
Super cool.

Unfortunately though: No G-SYNC option and Raytraycing still doesn’t work as the games do not recognize the graphics card!? Very strange.

just to check this, please redo

glxinfo | egrep -i server

is it nvidia now ?

Yep, vendor string reads: NVIDIA Corporation.
I find contradicting information in the internet. One side says that Raytracing is not possible in the NVidia linux drivers yet but only AMD, others say, Raytracing is. Don’t know.
I don’t care too much about that feature though. Most important would be getting G-SYNC to work.

okay, i would recommend that you take your time for a good backup-solution first. i think it wasn’t a good idea to jump into waters without a life-west. if you have one that works for you make firm how to backup and restore a system that you can fiddle with the system and if it’s broken you’ll have your live-insurance.
i already linked some explanations for g-sync but you have to fiddle a little bit and that’s always better with a backup. you could go on with this g-sync later next days if you’re backup works and open a new thread to it ? i would do so.

Will do Olli, learned a lot in this thread and will now systematically understand what I actually did with your and brahma’s help. Lots of reading ahead but it’s part of the journey.

Many thanks for your patience with me newbie, I marked the answer with the grub update as the solution. I will sort the G-Sync out somehow!

Best wishes and have a nice evening,
Ben

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.