Steam games don't run (Native and via Proton)

glibc updates broke any game that uses EAC, as well as some native games that do not (like Shovel Knight).

Please refer to the Known Issues and Solutions wiki post on the latest Stable Update announcement thread for the current workaround.

This may or may not be the issue for the other games mentioned.

Did these games work before on your PC with Manjaro or a you new to Manjaro Linux?

If you own a laptop with hybrid Intel / Nvidia GPU I personally cannot recommend bumblebee. I would use PRIME or Optimus-Manager instead (bumblebee must be uninstalled).
I prefer PRIME but you have to modify each game‘s startup options in steam or in the starter if it is a non-steam game or application with the prefix “prime-run”.

I guess it is a vulkan problem…

In case of Hollow Knight try add this this parameter: %command% -force-opengl

Prime-run will not work with bumblebee (switching GPU GLX) … for such an older GPU you need custom xorg files… maybe search on the forum for optimus-manager @Olli there you get some infos how to switch.

However… your intel gpu might not have full support for vulkan and therefore it does not start. OpenGL on the other hand could work.

Using that parameter did work out and I can play Hollow Knight. So thanks.
I also tried searching for optimus manager but I’m not quite sure what it does and I’m confused right now. Am I supposed to install a different driver and use that? If so where can I find it? Also what do I have to do for custom xorg files?

You can try optimus-manager-qt as a graphical switch. It is in the AUR.

What graphics does your computer actually have? The driver is pretty old so the pc and videocard probably are old, too!?

The only purpose for this program is switching between GPUs on a hybrid setup.

Not really. mhwd installs a configuration plus the driver. The driver is the same.

That is more experienced users since you can customize a lot of things. I would rather suggest looking for the optimus-manager.

For example:

Of course you need to install the application first:

pamac build optimus-manager-qt
sudo systemctl enable --now optimus-manager.service

@megavolt

i experienced that the optimus-manager-qt package can cause misbehaviour. a simple and really bullet-proof way ist to do the following steps:

a) install optimus-manager from the packet-manager
b) activate with sudo systemctl enable optimus-manager
c) open a editor with sudo-rights and edit /etc/default/grub
add to the entry GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" the following to the existing entries

optimus-manager.startup=nvidia nvidia_drm.modeset=1

d) after editing open a console and run the following

sudo update-grub
sudo mkinitcpio -P

e) do a reboot
f) after reboot enable the following service

sudo systemctl enable nvidia-persistenced

g) you can either start the service with sudo systemctl start nvidia-persistenced
or to be on the safe side and do another reboot (windows-style :slight_smile: )

P.S.: from that point up you do have a working system with active-nvidia that is 100% working and then it’s up to you if you want to dig deeper with hybrid-mode (that depends on the hardware, sometimes no problem up to total-nightmare) and so forth, but the main problem for i think almost everyone is to get this nvidia-stuff first running and from there you are able to modify it in any way you want.

1 Like

I was able to get it working. And I can play Hollow Knight using the “%command% -force-opengl”.
Proton still doesn’t work but i guess that’s caused by something else. Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Look: “Hollow Knight” uses vulkan by default. Older Intel GPUs are only partially compatible. Therefore you need to force using opengl. Same for proton. Proton uses vulkan aswell by default.

When you set PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command% then it will use opengl.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton#runtime-config-options

But NVIDIA GPUs are normally fully compatible with vulkan. Therefore, if you want to play with a decent performance, you need to switch to the nvidia gpu. See what @Olli writes.

I switched to the nvidia gpu and tried to play Rain World through proton. I tried it with and without that command. I still doesn’t launch.

please open a console and post the output of

glxinfo | grep server

server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:

and what is the output of

systemctl status nvidia-persistenced

● nvidia-persistenced.service - NVIDIA Persistence Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nvidia-persistenced.service; enabled;>
Active: active (running) since Sun 2022-08-14 12:00:26 +03; 11min ago
Process: 365 ExecStart=/usr/bin/nvidia-persistenced --user nvidia-persistenced>
Main PID: 367 (nvidia-persiste)
Tasks: 1 (limit: 14200)
Memory: 10.6M
CPU: 2.012s
CGroup: /system.slice/nvidia-persistenced.service
└─367 /usr/bin/nvidia-persistenced --user nvidia-persistenced

Aug 14 12:00:26 sidotre systemd[1]: Starting NVIDIA Persistence Daemon…
Aug 14 12:00:26 sidotre nvidia-persistenced[367]: Started (367)
Aug 14 12:00:26 sidotre systemd[1]: Started NVIDIA Persistence Daemon.

you activated nvidia and the direct rendering mode as explained above in the grub ?

yes. Also my gpu is Geforce GT 635M. Is this happening because my gpu is so old?

what is the output of

nvidia-smi | grep Driver

| NVIDIA-SMI 390.154 Driver Version: 390.154 |

well i do believe so, this card is aged 10 years old and you wanna play games in decent quality ? i think you’re expectations are way above reality, sorry buddy but that doesn’t match together. you might play these games but it won’t be a pleasure

your nvidia driver is now set to the maximum that you can get out of it.

I played them just fine on Windows but I guess nothing can be done. Thanks for the help though