Nvidia NVENC not working with applications

To install the nvidia-beta set you will need to uninstall the nvidia-440xx series first. After that you’ll likely want:

pamac install nvidia-beta-dkms, nvidia-settings-beta, nvidia-utils-beta, lib32-nvidia-utils-beta, opencl-nvidia-beta

lib32 and opencl would generally be optional.

You don’t have to uninstall, what I did was went to Nvidia’s driver downloads page and selected their latest Linux driver, and then make their *.run file executable, logged out shutdown the X Server and ran their script to install their drivers. Hit Yes when it asks if you want to install DKMS for future driver upgrades. and then start X server again. reboot shouldn’t be necessary, but do it anyway.

How does one stop the X Server? I’ve tried sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop but it doesn’t seem to do anything.

This has really broken my flow. OBS Studio and Kdenlive both need it for sane video recording and editing, as do a bunch of other things for NVIDIA users. This is quite big issue, how did it get to release with this?

you have to use systemctl.

$ sudo systemctl gdm stop

enter that when you switch to a TTY session with Ctrl+Alt+F2 or any other F key, if your display manager runs on TTY7 that would be F7 to switch back.

I’d blame Nvidia for being slow on that front of pushing their drivers up stream, although you could probably blame FFMPEG for being pushed too early upstream before Nvidia drivers got pushed up. Either way, it’s poor quality control for Stable branch.

NVIDIA have a driver installer out for Linux as soon as a new driver is up, this issue is down to how Manjaro have handled the update packaging as they’ve still not added the latest NVIDIA. Clearly not enough is being tested before it’s rolled out.

I’ve removed Manjaro’s NVIDIA package in favour of this: GitHub - Frogging-Family/nvidia-all: Nvidia driver 450 to 396 series AIO installer

The problem with NVENC was reported on Unstable and Testing repos by the community, but…

I had the same issue, you have to downgrade both at the same time:
downgrade x264 ffmpeg

Downgrading from A.L.A. is disabled on the stable branch. To override this behavior, set DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA to 1 .
See https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Using_Downgrade  for more details.

Available packages:

-  1)  x264  3  0.159.r2999.296494a  1  x86_64  (local)
+  2)  x264  3  0.160.r3011.cde9a93  1  x86_64  (local)

select a package by number: 1
Available packages:

-  1)  ffmpeg  1  4.2.2  4  x86_64  (local)
-  2)  ffmpeg  1  4.2.2  5  x86_64  (local)
-  3)  ffmpeg  1  4.2.2  6  x86_64  (local)
-  4)  ffmpeg  1  4.2.3  2  x86_64  (local)
-  5)  ffmpeg  2  4.2.4  1  x86_64  (local)
+  6)  ffmpeg  2  4.3.1  2  x86_64  (local)

select a package by number: 5
loading packages...
warning: downgrading package x264 (3:0.160.r3011.cde9a93-1 => 3:0.159.r2999.296494a-1)
warning: downgrading package ffmpeg (2:4.3.1-2 => 2:4.2.4-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (2) ffmpeg-2:4.2.4-1  x264-3:0.159.r2999.296494a-1

Total Installed Size:  33,84 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      -1,46 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(2/2) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                                 [########################################################################################] 100%
(2/2) checking package integrity                                                                                                               [########################################################################################] 100%
(2/2) loading package files                                                                                                                    [########################################################################################] 100%
(2/2) checking for file conflicts                                                                                                              [########################################################################################] 100%
(2/2) checking available disk space                                                                                                            [########################################################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/2) downgrading x264                                                                                                                         [########################################################################################] 100%
(2/2) downgrading ffmpeg                                                                                                                       [########################################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
add x264 to IgnorePkg? [y/N] N
add ffmpeg to IgnorePkg? [y/N] N

That solved the issue for me :slight_smile:
I see you also found a solution, but it might help other people since this is faster.

There are two options you may do:

I kind of avoid doing it this way, just in case something breaks like the display server crashing and being unable to start the desktop session, and other issues like fallback mode. I just hate having to spend an entire day trying to figure out why stuff wont work when they should be working and it getting in the way of my workflow.

Maybe this will be considered off topic but I invite all the Nvidia users to the party here Testing Updates - Manjaro Linux Forum

Having people concerned for software/hardware compatibility there is important for the ‘quality control’ you all hope for. Maybe the issue was known but again you can’t eat your cake and have it, I mean lot of people complaining because 450 driver is still not available, people complaining updates are rushed, and people not testing anything but who want perfect stable* Manjaro with absolutely no issue… this doesn’t work well.

It is easy to switch branches, and to use Timeshift ‘in case’ you got an issue.

1 Like

same for me
obs wont work after kernel update

if any one finds useful fix please reply

Simply do this:

export DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1
downgrade x264 ffmpeg

choose x264-3:0.159.r2999.296494a-1
choose ffmpeg-2:4.2.4-1

The correct order is important!

1 Like

Thanks for reply, but!
i cant use these commands on terminal
i switched obs to software encoder in advanced setting it worked

1 Like

you need to first install downgrade with either pacman or pamac if you don’t have it installed, and then run the command again.

$ pamac install downgrade

1 Like

This worked for me. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks that fixed it.

1 Like

hey did any one of you used davinchi resolve 16
i got an issue with it
it just opens and automatically closes on startup
is there any possible fix

i am using kde plasma
i have installed downgrade earlier but finally my system crashed after downgrade
i have re installed entire os again
now i set a timeshift backup
doesnt matter
but there are now nvidia 450 drivers in arch repo
i think when these drivers get updatedNVENC will work

450 is already in Testing and reached Stable-staging yesterday I think, it is coming soon to Stable.