[Stable Update] 2020-08-16 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox

@philm: Hi philm,

When do you plan to release the final version of Manjaro 20.1 ?

For September ? When the KDE plasma 5.19.5 version will be released at the beginning of September.

Thanks for your answer.

I had this weird glitch again that there is no sound after first reboot. The second reboot everything is ok.

As expected ([Stable Staging Update] 2020-08-11 - Kernels, Plasma, KDE Framework, Systemd, Pamac, VirtualBox, Firefox), the Nvidia hardware video encoder is broken now… which is a shame on stable branch.

Also the older nvidia driver seems to have problems not only with ffmpeg, but also cuda (as another user reported) and possibly some other libs and programs. So we really need the new Nvidia v450 driver to fix this incompatibilities.

2 Likes

Seems I missed the overlay in old stable-staging. Will push them again. It takes a while until we have time to add another Nvidia driver series.

Well cool, but this only fixes the encoder within ffmpeg. But it doesn’t fix others (for example cuda or other programs using nvidia api or programs coming with their own ffmpeg and so on…)

So the only ‘real’ fix is to add the new nvidia driver to the repos.

Also, maybe this makes it a little easier to replace:
the 440 driver we have now is only a short lived one, meaning it is EOL anyway. Would the integration be faster, if you remove the old 440 driver and replace it with the 450 driver, meaning you don’t have to add a new one, but only replace some numbers?

2 Likes

I think we go with broken for now and try to get 450 driver series going. Might take a week or one months to hit stable, as I’ve to review what would be easier.

Can’t connect to several Bluetooth audio devices with kernel 5.8. Some work, some don’t. Affects build-in intel card and external dongle.

Probably related: FS#67502 : [linux] Bluetooth issues on Intel Wireless-AC 9260 on Linux 5.8.arch1-1

1 Like

Installed the update and it removed my 5.6 kernel and replaced it with a 5.7 kernel. Now I can’t boot. It just goes straight to a black screen after leaving grub. Fallback option in grub is the same. What should I do?

did you slect kernel 5.7 in the grub menu?

Smooth & OK.

One question : why wasn’t the grub update procedure scripted ?

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Kernel 5.8.0-2 my system seems to be only running at it’s minimum clock of 800mhz

yes. 5.7 is now the only option in the grub menu, there are no other kernels installed. I would have tested the new kernel before removing the old one but I didn’t see any option for that and now since I can’t boot I can’t do anything.

No conky anymore after the upgrade in KDE . Changed a few kernels, always the same. I will check later what causes the issue.

Didn’t get updates for a while. Couldn’t get any now too.

sudo pacman -Syu

shows nothing to update. system up to date.

Edit: Updating mirrors fixed it.

A post was merged into an existing topic: MEGAsync QT segmentation fault

Updated (KDE) in TTY (using Topgrade).

Only one problem - old conky scripts wouldn’t work, fixed them and made a thread how to update old conky scripts.

Nice job :wink:

4 Likes

System does not boot…Get the following error message on boot up

error: file '/boot/vmlinuz not found

I have an encrypted drive and lvm.

@uniquename There were changes made. This could be the cause…

2 Likes

MEGAsync probably just needs a rebuild/reinstall (it isn’t one of our apps) and Conky maybe failed due to the new LUA update - so find my thread and update your scripts :wink:

3 Likes

I booted from an installer usb stick, did manjaro-chroot into my encrypted root and used pacman to install linux54. I then did grub-update.

Now things are worse and I don’t even get the grub menu when I boot. Grub asks for my password, says “slot 0 unlocked” and then goes straight to black screen rather than menu.