Nvidia NVENC not working with applications

Worked for me, thanks!

i have found a way to install nvidia
in this forum some where but i forgot to book mark
but i have commands in my history
i am using a nvidia 1660 ti mobile (optimus laptop with intel integrated gpu and 1660ti mobile) i ran into similar issues but installed finally
OBS studio is also working with NVENC
to update

IMPORTANT:: update all packages before doing and reboot
without updating all packages and kernels
-------------------------> you cant install nvidia - 450 without updating the existing packages
–>update packages before doing this

NOTE : remove the current drivers using MHWD command line and install

1. sudo mhwd -i pci video-modesetting (or your driver name)
  2. sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-440xx-prime (or your driver name)
  3. sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime (or your driver name )
  4. reboot

thats it
it worked for me

Is there a solution for hybrid graphics for this? Cause I’ve tried everything suggested and NVENC still won’t work. Here’s my system info:

System:
  Kernel: 5.8.1-3-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: LXQt 0.15.1 
  Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP Laptop 15-da0xxx 
  v: Type1ProductConfigId serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: HP model: 84A7 v: 80.28 serial: <filter> UEFI: Insyde v: F.04 
  date: 08/02/2018 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT1 charge: 42.3 Wh condition: 42.3/41.0 Wh (103%) 
  model: Hewlett-Packard PABAS0241231 status: Full 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i3-7020U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Amber Lake rev: 9 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 
  bogomips: 18406 
  Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 400/2300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 
  3: 800 4: 800 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce MX110] vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: nvidia v: 450.57 bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Device-3: Cheng Uei Precision Industry (Foxlink) HP TrueVision HD Camera 
  type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus ID: 1-5:3 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia 
  resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce MX110/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.57 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.1-3-MANJARO 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 4000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8822BE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi adapter 
  vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: rtw_8822be v: N/A port: 3000 
  bus ID: 03:00.0 
  IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 11.56 GiB (1.2%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LM035-1RK172 size: 931.51 GiB 
RAID:
  Hardware-1: Intel 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] driver: ahci 
  v: 3.0 bus ID: 00:17.0 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 907.45 GiB used: 11.56 GiB (1.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 8.28 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) 
  dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0 C mobo: 29.8 C gpu: nvidia temp: 54 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 174 Uptime: 1m Memory: 3.76 GiB used: 542.0 MiB (14.1%) 
  Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 10.1.0 Packages: 1061 Shell: Zsh v: 5.8 
  inxi: 3.1.05 

Is the ffmpeg/nvenc still broken? Downgrading and switching to the testing branch didn’t work but x264 did. That’s using the CPU and I’d rather not do that… My system is still rolled back to kernel 5.6 for now. I’ve upgraded but again, only the x264 only work and not the nvenc.

Maybe a fresh install will fix this.

NVENC (at least in OBS) seems to work with the 450.xx series driver and ffmpeg n4.3.1, on Linux 5.4.

Yeah, I’m still on 440.

So you’ve upgraded just ffmpeg and the drivers only, right? Also you used mhwd or directly from NVIDIA’s drivers?

I don’t exactly remember, I switched to a different branch at about that time. I used mhwd.

There doesn’t seem to be a 4.2.4 option when I try to do it, so I tried 4.3.1 (which I think someone mentioned worker for them) and it gives me the error:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies) :: unable to satisfy dependency 'libx264.so=160-64' required by ffmpeg

It’s been more than a month and you’re still struggling guys?
I have Nvidia 450 (removed 440 then installed 450 from KDE’s System Settings / MHWD), and I have OBS, I can record with NVENC without any issue. I don’t understand why you’re still trying to figure out how to downgrade to Arch’s old package when it was never needed, this has been quickly fixed (couple days for sure on Testing branch) by pushing 450 drivers to Stable after the issue has been identified.

I don’t want to use the Testing Branch. Things have been fine up until this last big update.

Looks like the best route for me was use update the kernel first (take a system snapshot). Upgrade the video drivers (take another system snapshot). Do a full upgrade and here I am stream again on the stable branch.

Maybe this will work for others, hopefully, but I’m sure everyone’s mileage will vary…

for those who are still having issues, what worked for me was to use the lts kernel again (5.4).
as soon as I installed it and removed the newer ones (I was using 5.9 with 5.8 as fallback), everything worked flawlessly :]

OBS is complaining about drivers being out-of-date, and won’t use NVENC. On driver version 455.28-2 and OBS Studio 26.0.2-2. OBS is only recognising the long-lived, 450.80.02?

Edit: It seems to be the incompatibility between kernel 5.9 and Nvidia drivers.

1 Like

There’s a patch/script for kernel 5.9 to fix the nvidia issue. It was on here but is still on the nvidia forums if you really need kernel 5.9

On my side I had to downgrade to kernel 5.7 and Nvidia 450.x now it works again… although before it was woring on a 5.8 kernel …

Anyway if there’s a script somewhere and someone finds it I’m intersted as I couldn’t find it by my self …

No need for a script or hack or whatever, it works. It’s been two updates already (for Stable) that kernel 5.9 supports Nvidia, and other kernel work too.

Pretty sure if I reinstall OBS right now, and test, it works on 5.9, and if I reboot it works also on 5.4, with Nvidia 455.

//edit: it works, yes.

//edit2: the NVENC issue initially in this thread got fixed 4 days after the opening post.
Also I’m on Testing branches but we currently have same packages (see on Branch Compare website).

//edit3: Also you see people struggling for more than a month in this thread, after the issue has been fixed, trying to downgrade package to Arch’s old packages non sense… they blamed Manjaro instead of searching what was wrong on their side when it was confirmed working. You also see other people three weeks ago complaining about NVENC not working on kernel 5.9, when it was very clear at that time, it was not supported it is only recently that kernel 5.9 supports Nvidia fully.
Just a reminder, consider you have an issue on your side even if I’m alone reporting here that it works, it works I just tested (NVENC in OBS on Nvidia 455 and kernel 5.9).

//edit4: another basic issue I often see in the announcement threads, people complain this or that is not working, but they never considered that rebooting was an option… I hope you’re not one of these people lol… Of course upgrading kernel and video drivers/modules require a reboot for everything to be normally loaded and functional.

//edit5: also final edit, the way you install or believe you install video drivers is important… Manjaro team has made tools specifically for that purpose, changing kernel or removing/installing video drivers.

wasn’t working yesterday on an uptodate 5.9 kernel with nvidia 455 let me a few minutes to retry …